Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX visit tomorrow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will be able to see, up close, the first successfully landed Falcon 1st stage. That alone is worth a visit. Other than that all you will see is the Hawthorne Supercharger site, a small lobby area next to the Supercharger where you can buy some Tesla gear, and a lot of big buildings.

I did not know that a Hyperloop test track was visible to the public. Where is it?

The test track is built right alongside Jack Northrop ave across from SpaceX hq.

The 1st competition weekend is Jan. 27 so I am guessing the track is pretty much complete. Hyperloop

When I was there in Nov they had just started painting it and were also painting the landed stage 1.

It is without a doubt worth visiting even if you can't get into any SpaceX facilities. After leaving the supercharger you can exit via rocket rd, and there was a number of random things of interest in that alley.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
So that's what that huge pipe is! When I was at the Hawthorne Supercharger last month, for only the second time, my wife and I noticed that huge pipe but did not realize what it was.

Is it a loop or a single straight piece of track?
Just a 1 mile straight track. Enough to allow them to test acceleration, deceleration, and pod retrieval in case of pod loss of power.

I was in Florida last week, and did the tour at Canaveral. We got relatively close to the SpaceX assembly building and launch pad 39a that they've leased and are refurbishing.

There was a noticeable lack of anything SpaceX in the gift shops; a couple of t-shirts. You get a sense, talking to people, that NASA people has a very mixed view of SpaceX; they're supportive, but a little wary.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
You get a sense, talking to people, that NASA people has a very mixed view of SpaceX; they're supportive, but a little wary
NASA can see the writing on the wall: SpaceX is going to be ready to go to Mars long before they are.

Back on topic (SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne CA): here is information about that Hyperloop test track Hyperloop

You will have to pardon my French, but h0lly h3ck! Was that cool or what!
If you are a fan Tesla, SpaceX, Hyperloop and general awesomeness you should totally swing by this area. And once you've stayed too late and trafic is nuts, just stick around for dinner and go to the burger bar next door, Eureka! Tasting Kitchen. The bison burger was fantastic, and the veggie beet one looked like food from the future.

So within mere feet, we saw the coolest Supercharger site (in front of the Tesla Design Studio), Falcon 9 first stages (yes plural, more details later) and the Hyperloop test track.

And as @oneday mentioned, you will notcie plenty of random things just lying around in the alley between SpaceX and the Hawthorne Supercharger. If you are a raging space geek, I highly recommend just walking around. Just stay on the Tesla side of the property, and on sidewalks along the roads. It is quite easy to attract SpaceX security, and they politely insist you do not take pictures or video on their property. That is fair, but their property does not extend very far. This is LA after all, and space is tight (not a pun). Pictures below were taken with a phone from public property only (aside from two at the Tesla Supercharger site). I ask that they not be re-used or re-published outside of this forum post without my permission.

Last edited:
The first successfully landed Falcon 9 first stage is here, fully painted and frankly glorious. It is quite tall and at the corner of the SpaceX property. You cannot miss it!
IMG_0124.JPG

A Falcon 9 first stage is much bigger than I thought. Very impressive!
That man is within 10 feet of the stage's leg.
IMG_0141.JPG

As I said, you can't miss it!
IMG_0135.JPG

This is the "dad jeans" of Hawthorne Supercharger pictures. No monolith, no pool, no golf green grass or solar panels in this pic. Look into it, the site is awesome. I was just too distracted by the SpaceX stuff...
IMG_0145.JPG

For example, this was sitting in a Tesla parking spot with a piece of paper talking about "ovenage". Hmmmm, ovenage!
IMG_0143.JPG

There was much more in that area on the SpaceX side, but out of an abundance of caution, no pics from that. I was not on SpaceX property, but not on public land either (Tesla property). There were no signs preventing pictures, but I want to respect the intent of the request not to take pictures on SpaceX property.
All I'll say is "nozzles". ;-)

Last edited:
Also, SpaceX was getting a delivery of liquid nitrogen in an interesting truck. This guy took like five tries to get the truck in the right position to deliver. Seemed quite heavy.
Wait, what is that on the left?
IMG_0151.JPG

Yup, Hyperloop test track, painted and with someone working on it a hundred feet down.
IMG_0153.JPG

Not sure the prototype in the tube will be very fast:
IMG_0161.JPG

Details of what the track looks like, with some rando in front of it:
IMG_0158.JPG

As we crossed the street to get back to the car, we saw that a door was open. They were prepping for a night time transport operation. Never found out what exactly, but there was a lot of activity. One first stage was sitting inside with blue coverings on installed nozzles... So yeah, why am I not camping out there right now...
The stage you see below did not have nozzles. We could see three first stages from the sidewalk.

*wooooGOTEAM!*
IMG_0164.JPG

*squeeeeee*

No more pictures. This again was from the public sidewalk. On the left hand side, the alley leading to the Hawthorne Supercharger and the Tesla Design Studio.
Again, I ask that the pictures in this thread not be re-distributed or re-published without my permission. Thank you!

As we crossed the street to get back to the car, we saw that a door was open. They were prepping for a night time transport operation. Never found out what exactly, but there was a lot of activity. One first stage was sitting inside with blue coverings on installed nozzles... So yeah, why am I not camping out there right now...
The stage you see below did not have nozzles. We could see three first stages from the sidewalk.

Hah, I took pictures of that same door about 3 years ago. Unfortunately, between the bright daylight, and the dark hanger, my photo didn't come out very well.
Screenshot_20170105-233440.png

You can sort of see the outlines of the engines.

Wow these are some great pictures. Looks like you had a great day. I wasn't aware that the test track will be done so early, it is great to see that they are making progress. I am looking forward to the next launch at Sunday.

Wow these are some great pictures. Looks like you had a great day. I wasn't aware that the test track will be done so early, it is great to see that they are making progress. I am looking forward to the next launch at Sunday.
Yes thanks. Sure did have a blast!
I saw a flatbed semi-truck leave with two pieces of equipment under blue coverings. Assuming to go to Vandenberg.
And the activity happening tonight (street is closed until 4am) hints at something related to a first stage relaunch. Can't think they'd close the street to move anything else...
(And the nozzle covers are black.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Julian K.
They're a cool rocket company

I felt guilty just walking by the doors when I went. Where are the guards with dogs? What? No towers, no armed guards with mirrored sunglasses? Sheesh. No one said anything other than "Hey" and a nod. Which is a Southern California hello.

Just engineers with rocket parts and plans hanging out at the lunch tables.

Worth a visit, and yes you will feel like your doing something wrong just being there. Fun!

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW