Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX vs. Everyone - ULA, NG, Boeing, Lockheed, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure you'll all be surprised that the California Coastal Commission has issues with SpaceX's proposed increased number of launches from Vandenburg.
I did not realize that the CCC had any authority over what happens on US Air Force property that has been there decades before the commission was established. According to this recent article in the issue, the commission cannot limit the number of launches.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394 and Grendal
I did not realize that the CCC had any authority over what happens on US Air Force property that has been there decades before the commission was established. According to this recent article in the issue, the commission cannot limit the number of launches.
They will have an arm wrestling contest. Unless the military has gone really soft, I suspect they will win.

They will have an arm wrestling contest. Unless the military has gone really soft, I suspect they will win.
CCC may not even have the jurisdiction to do anything. I think it would be more effective to go after SpaceX as a company violating local ordinances. Set up a fine schedule such that either SpaceX stops hitting local communities with overpressure, or they compensate the communities for each launch. Either way, SpaceX should be performing their commercial launches from Canaveral. Surely they can pack more launch sites into the available real estate.

That said, I don't know how sensitive the locals are being about launches. Is there a rumble across the area, or is this the sort of thing that would stress a non-trivial percentage of the population? Did Delicate Dave, who knows the chairman of the CCC, complain about the noise?

Reactions: Electroman
That said, I don't know how sensitive the locals are being about launches. Is there a rumble across the area, or is this the sort of thing that would stress a non-trivial percentage of the population?

The locals in the valley are generally not sensitive. They're all generally agricultural and just happy to be employed, or they make their livelihood off of VAFB in some way or another...so...more rockets is more job security. There's really very little publicly accessible land use affected by launches, since most of the area is part of the base anyway. When they're talking about evacs it's really campers down around the corner or limiting how close folks can get to the beach/train station to watch launches--not anyone that's actually a resident (like BC, for instance). I'd buy that a handful of vocal Rich Folk in SB/Ojai are a bit more miffed than they've been in the past, but in more of a "you kids turn down that music" kind of way than anything else...so...not the first voice for which I'd advocate here...

That said, it would be really unfortunate if the CCC gets The Heisman on this simply because "That's not what the rules say." As with every law/rule/mandate/doctrine ever created in the history of everything, contemporary context matters. When the subject plans were drafted for vandy it was unfathomable that there might be more than a few launches a month, let alone anyone contemplating multiple launches per week.

Indeed the concerns raised are quite reasonable, and there's a compromise here for sure. It does make sense for vandy to serve as a US launch site, both from a national security perspective as well as to maintain leadership in the global launch industry. It does make sense that more frequent launch rates are coming (and they should be allowed to come--and not just from SX) and kicking the can on how increased launch cadence impacts everything will just compound the problem. It makes sense that federal use (national security) and participating partners get a bit of a free pass for some things (within reason). It DOESN'T make sense that an entity like SX should benefit in perpetuity and across the board from those free passes if only a very small percentage of their activity is actually for federal use. (As would be the case if SX ramps up to 36 launches/year, let alone more than that). It DOESN'T make sense to simply go head-in-sand on potential environmental impacts of greatly increased launch frequency.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal and JB47394