Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX vs. Everyone - ULA, NG, Boeing, Lockheed, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article is really good. It's more SpaceX against everyone though.
The best way to make a profit as an aerospace company is to fail

I changed the thread title to better fit the current landscape of current military aerospace. As opposed to 2014, when SpaceX was just fighting to break in. Now it is the good old boy old school contractors fighting against the upstart that is disrupting their lucrative government contracts.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
It seems SpaceX is making a strong argument for a piece of that contract and is also willing to put up a good fight in court on 3/2. So the Air Force thinks SpaceX's Starship is “too risky for an LSA award”? I wonder how the development of Starship is any riskier than investing in Blue Origin rockets that still haven't exceeded 3,000 mph. Also, note to Bezos. After reading the news today, the Air Force would probably prefer that you don't share info with your girlfriend concerning future national security launches.o_O

I don’t have much sympathy for Blue Origin. Where are they at? They don’t seem to be moving...
BO hasn't performed a New Shepard test flight since late last year. I don't see the next one scheduled, but BO is still promising their first suborbital crewed launch in 2020.

Did come across this. Blue Origin Club for the Future | Welcome
Jeff appears to be preoccupied leading Blue Origin's "Club for the Future". Although perhaps he's not supposed to be talking about, "Future Club". At least he's staying grounded with a worthy distraction!

In this case, SpaceX is the clear winner and it's ULA and Blue Origin fighting it out.
Political fight continues over Air Force launch services procurement - SpaceNews.com

Maybe the article is in error, or maybe I missed something as I read it - the article indicates that it's ULA, Blue Origin, and Northrup Grumman that are in the mix, with ULA and Blue Origin fighting over where there should be a 3rd launch provider.

That sure seems like a bad choice by the Air Force if true - SpaceX has to be the reliable and low cost launch provider at this point (F9 has a lot of history now, and is building up more history at an amazing pace).

That sure seems like a bad choice by the Air Force if true - SpaceX has to be the reliable and low cost launch provider at this point (F9 has a lot of history now, and is building up more history at an amazing pace).

Flip side, the future of space will be better served by pushing out anyone who isn't low cost and reliable. It's basically a parallel concept to the idea that NASA should focus on science and exploration and not on building big ass rockets. To that end Blue is really the ideal long term #2, and with the current game only allowing two winners (With SpaceX being the clear #1) its essentially a foregone conclusion that ULA will be #2.

Make no mistake, while blue may not have the same corporate approach, speed, or public presence as SpaceX, there's quite a bit of activity going on behind NDAs. They are real. NG is real.

Flip side, the future of space will be better served by pushing out anyone who isn't low cost and reliable. It's basically a parallel concept to the idea that NASA should focus on science and exploration and not on building big ass rockets. To that end Blue is really the ideal long term #2, and with the current game only allowing two winners (With SpaceX being the clear #1) its essentially a foregone conclusion that ULA will be #2.

Make no mistake, while blue may not have the same corporate approach, speed, or public presence as SpaceX, there's quite a bit of activity going on behind NDAs. They are real. NG is real.

I'm thinking it's a mistake - the article indicates that SpaceX isn't in the mix at all (no mention)l. That's the mistake I see, and I think it's more likely the article (which makes for abysmal journalism) as opposed to the choice the Air Force has made (presuming that SpaceX bid for the contract) is abysmal.

EDIT: I'll leave what I've already written, but reading comprehension for the win (I fail). I see that SpaceX is listed right at the top of the article, and then isn't discussed further (presumably because they're so much better). And that makes sense.

Reactions: bxr140 and Grendal
I'm thinking it's a mistake - the article indicates that SpaceX isn't in the mix at all (no mention)l. That's the mistake I see, and I think it's more likely the article (which makes for abysmal journalism) as opposed to the choice the Air Force has made (presuming that SpaceX bid for the contract) is abysmal.
SpaceX isn't part of the 2018 Launch Service Agreements.
"This funding was awarded in October 2018 to Blue Origin, ULA and Northrop Grumman."

They are in the running for the National Security Space Launch Phase 2 launch services procurement. "Blue Origin, United Launch Alliance, Northrop Grumman and SpaceX are competing for two contracts to fly approximately 34 missions from 2022 to 2027."

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric