Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just completed a Static Test Fire -- basically emulating launch day, except they don't let go of the rocket, and then shut the engines down after 2 seconds of full-thrust operation.

There was one unplanned hold at T-27 seconds, they eventually recycled to T-20 minutes and did it again, successfully the second time. If that happened on launch day, it would have required a bump to the next available day for launch (instantaneous launch window, no room for unplanned holds or aborts/resets.)

Sadly I sorta expected it. Luckily for them, it's sort of the norm in this field. Makes you wonder why they always seem to get caught last minute. Pushing deadlines or just poorer earlier testing?

This stuff is just plain hard. The level of automation they are attempting is fairly ambitious, even if it weren't floating in space.

How do you thoroughly test a complex hardware/software system when you have to simulate everything about the environment? Even the simulators are complex.

No doubt they'll keep testing it right up until the flight, which is just another more realistic test.

Where's Khrushchev pounding the desk with his shoe?! :biggrin:
In all earnest, I am happy that careful testing takes priority over rushing the launch. This is a good indicator of how Elon runs SpaceX. With the Model S launch this summer a similarly daunting task, I guess he takes comparable approach to avoid problems.

Twitter

Practice set-up for Dragon
AsU092dCEAAQD0r.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.