Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX's Rising Tide - Discussion of non-SpaceX launch companies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly a rising tide, but the Big Slider Atlas 5 config went earlier today ~direct injecting two small GEOs on a once and only once AV config

Notable elements of the stream (that I mostly fast forwarded through...)
--Reports of the lift-off slide have been greatly exaggerated. (To be fair, any sideways motion off the pad will be forevermore unimpressive thanks to Astra)
--Properly cringe-worthy and also nothing-burger appearance from Tory (He's usually much more personable)
--Some slow talker made noise for a 80 seconds about Artemis, and specifically the second stage. If you like rocket parts (who doesn't?) its worth a mute watch.

And a couple days ago Virgin dropped a rocket from a plane. TLDR, its s REALLY hard telecast to watch.
--It turns out even just 45 seconds discussing black widows on a space launch telecast is, in fact, an unconformably long time to talk about black widows on a space launch telecast
--Need some work on production value. Pretty good graphics with no talk track over top of them are like sitting in a meeting where everyone is silent and reading the slides...
--There's a surprising lean on the aircraft during take off as a result of the heavy rocket that's asymmetrically mounted (As opposed to Pegasus on the L1011)
--Thanks so much, Sir Rich, for calling in from Nekker for a cameo "I can't remember if this is our third flight or fourth flight". Nice. And keeping up the uncomfortable trend, Dick Branson talked for like 3 minutes about Virgin America... (To be fair, I like Branson--he's a total clown, but he's pretty genuine)
--Couple quick quick shots of the cubesats
--Wait, wot...it dropped a little while ago?
--When is this going to end? Oh, I guess its ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relativity Space Is doing some really neat work with their 3d printed rocket. How cool of an idea?

The national space agencies will all soon be kaput with the amazing amount of innovation in space launch.
Don’t know about that. How much of a budget do these companies spend on kickbacks? Or how about doling out million dollar a year salaries after contracting officers retire from government?

Don’t know about that. How much of a budget do these companies spend on kickbacks? Or how about doling out million dollar a year salaries after contracting officers retire from government?
Oh there are a few billion here and there but nothing will be like milking the space shuttle. The current fiasco is about to end. France and EU will give it up in the next 5 years. That will leave Russia and China to fund things and they can't get away from the NASA model. Like Russia copying our worst aviation designs just because we built a few.

Rocketlab seems to be doing fine. They have yet to hit their "once a month" pace, let alone their "once a week pace they are working toward. I'm rooting for them and invested in them since, with SpaceX, it is hard to do - the investing part I mean.

Reactions: nativewolf
The weather is not great so there might be delays on the launch. A big deal in reusability from the other company trying to do it.
Good point. Of course recovering an F9 booster is also contingent on the weather in the ocean recovery zone being within certain parameter such that the ASDS can maintain station precisely enough and the deck does not roll too much.

Reactions: Grendal
Rocketlab seems to be doing fine. They have yet to hit their "once a month" pace, let alone their "once a week pace they are working toward. I'm rooting for them and invested in them since, with SpaceX, it is hard to do - the investing part I mean.
Grendal- way to go. I missed that you had invested in both. I see that the first printed rocket is rolling out- relativity space that is. Very innovative fuel use.

Reactions: Grendal