TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Spam Prevention

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by notAmeenPerson, Aug 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. notAmeenPerson

I'm a bit surprised there's not a limit on threads that could be started by new signups or Captchas. The "What's New?" menu is useless right now.
    Spam.PNG

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

After battling Chinese spammers for the better part of the week, they switched to Korean. There are indeed filters in place, but that's not always going to stop a determined spammer. Threads removed, and I'll let doug chime in on any new checks put in place.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The thing about spam is that unless you have a paid person who's job is basically spam control, you're going to get a certain amount of spam (and even with a dedicated person there will still be a bit). This forum does an incredible job of keeping the spam down.

4. notAmeenPerson

Of course. I'm not suggesting they aren't doing good work combatting spam. I just thought I would mention the possibility of using Google's reCaptcha button on a users first couple of threads or posts. It's an unobtrusive single click button.

reCAPTCHA: Easy on Humans, Hard on Bots

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I believe they are somewhat limited due to the forum software being used. I heard it will be upgraded at some point, but that's not even remotely simple or quick to do.