Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SPAN - Smart Electrical Panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've decided to move forward with the Span install - happening this week.
Biggest concern was the company may go out of business, or may update their system to some radical new architecture and then halt support of older systems, etc.
Learned that the panel can default to just a basic panel if that happens, as the panel uses basic breakers and the control system/relays are essentially a parallel system located behind the main "dumb" panel.
Another concern is that you need an app enabled device to access all controls. This is a long term commitment (~20yrs). Go back 20yrs in technology and se how things have changed. In 2041, what will the smart devices and apps look like? Will there still be support for our ancient Span.io Gen2 Panel?
Would prefer to have an OEM installed option for a dedicated control panel tethered to the unit just in case - I believe we can do this with ethernet direct and a cheap ipad duct-taped to the wall, or inside the panel door (if space and permits allow).

We are about to start a remodel and I'm planning on installing a SPAN. It was their new car charger that put me over the edge. I don't drive a Tesla so it will be nice to be able to control how it charges my car in grid down situations. I also only have a 100 amp service and it will be cheaper than having to pull a new 200 amp service and relocate my current meter.

I “was/am” considering adding SPAN until my assigned Tesla project advisor mentioned this.

————-
I would strongly suggest sticking to a square d, or an Eaton panel.

Often there can be power surges from a SPan panel that could affect the warranty of the Tesla system.

Just something to be mindful and do research on, back fed power surges from the Span Io if there is a power outage.

Smart panels have caused a few appliances to get circuit overload and render useless.

————

I “was/am” considering adding SPAN until my assigned Tesla project advisor mentioned this.

————-

Often there can be power surges from a SPan panel that could affect the warranty of the Tesla system.

Just something to be mindful and do research on, back fed power surges from the Span Io if there is a power outage.

Smart panels have caused a few appliances to get circuit overload and render useless.

————
I understand that these are the words of your project advisor and not yours, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. How could a Span panel create a power surge? A Span panel is essentially just like any other panel (same breakers) except it has electronically controlled switches for each circuit in addition to the breakers.

There is another product out there: Lumin® : Responsive Energy Management Platform

It sits outside of the panel and only has a limited number of slots so you can't have every outlet monitored by it.
I have this Lumin system. Was a requirement from my 3rd party installer to have whole home backup even with 3 PW due to my old AC units that couldn't have soft starts installed on them. I suspect it won't be needed anymore when we get to replacing with high efficiency heat pumps, but I don't see any reason to uninstall even then.

I understand that these are the words of your project advisor and not yours, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. How could a Span panel create a power surge? A Span panel is essentially just like any other panel (same breakers) except it has electronically controlled switches for each circuit in addition to the breakers.
Span actually intercepts the 4 wire signal from the powerwall to Gateway. I do not know what they do with this signal, but this could be Tesla's concern.

@TheRedPill have you installed and used your Span yet? Is there any subscription associated with using the app? Is there a way to use the Span Panel WITHOUT having to connect to the cloud? My only drawback is someone else having access to control our home's electricity.
Yes - installed the Span in October. Has been running very well since. Came in handy already shortly afterwards - we left the country, and then there was a nasty storm with a 24hr power outage while we were away. I was able to remotely shut down unnecessary circuits so as to prolong the backup battery life.
No subscription required for the app. Can use Span without internet connection, as it connects via our local router.

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT, that in two weeks after installing Span...
Only two weeks after having our Span installed, we were stuck out of the country and then the horrible storm came which resulted in a power outage for almost 24 hours.
We have Tesla Solar Roof, plus Powerwalls and now with Span and especially the Span App, so there was amazing peace of mind in being able to control the circuits remotely so as to preserve power. I have several fish tanks with expensive fish, and they were able to be maintained throughout our absence and during the entire outage. No food spoilage, as the refrigerator and extra freezer were still powered up. We found out that the heated floor and toilet seat were consuming 600W, so we shut that down remotely (first world problem, yes).

1640986005570.png

1640985983584.png

Attachments

• 1640985876736.png
    1640985876736.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 2,295
Another Span + Tesla Solar install here. I had way more than 32 circuits in our house so many were tandemed and unused circuits went to sub panel. It’s currently functioning well and I’m glad we have it, but it was quite a process much like the Tesla Solar install.

4 month wait after deposit for install. First sub contractor had so many issues and eventually panel needed to completely re-installed with a new one and new contractor 4 months later.

It connects through the Ethernet port to the Powerwall gateway so you lose the ability to get data from the gateway through Ethernet. I’m still able to use the WiFi to monitor my solar strings / solar , load , grid data though. (GitHub - jasonacox/powerwall_monitor: Monitoring for the Tesla powerwall)

I anticipate them releasing API details or someone reverse engineering it eventually.

It works very well with the Tesla Solar panels and power walls but the installers may not like the lack of space to route cables inside the cabinet. It’s a very tight fit compared to the wide open space inside the typical dumb panel.

Reactions: EightBitWhit
Another Span + Tesla Solar install here. I had way more than 32 circuits in our house so many were tandemed and unused circuits went to sub panel. It’s currently functioning well and I’m glad we have it, but it was quite a process much like the Tesla Solar install.

4 month wait after deposit for install. First sub contractor had so many issues and eventually panel needed to completely re-installed with a new one and new contractor 4 months later.

It connects through the Ethernet port to the Powerwall gateway so you lose the ability to get data from the gateway through Ethernet. I’m still able to use the WiFi to monitor my solar strings / solar , load , grid data though. (GitHub - jasonacox/powerwall_monitor: Monitoring for the Tesla powerwall)

I anticipate them releasing API details or someone reverse engineering it eventually.

It works very well with the Tesla Solar panels and power walls but the installers may not like the lack of space to route cables inside the cabinet. It’s a very tight fit compared to the wide open space inside the typical dumb panel.
thanks for the details On the Span, I have a new primary residence with 2x200 amp panels and 22kW generator, not to be confused with our Lakehouse which has Solar+Powerwall which is what u see in the signature below. We have a new pool being installed and looking to add Solar and Powerwall’s too, we had Sense installed at the prior residence but that is very limited in terms of granularity of energy consumption. My local Solar installer is getting certified on Span so hoping to have this up and running this spring.

Reactions: chadconway
Had my Span installed about a month ago. Great piece of kit and installation by 3rd party partner was excellent. Yelp Review

I'm actually holding off for the Span Drive instead of the Tesla Connector. Annoying it doesn't have the native plug type and will need the adapter, but the software programmability to trickle charge from solar and selectively charge from battery backup (once I get one) were decision points for me.

Glad I spent the extra bit for this. I now have data to make informed decisions around energy consumption and control to be able to change how my power is routed in the event of an outage as my electrical uses evolve.

Trying to get Span installed, they took my deposit and was told "6-8" weeks for a site survey. Been about 11 weeks now and getting them to give me status updates has been nearly impossible. Only recent communication from them was to instead offer me their "PowerUP" 100amp guarantee program. Since my house currently only has 100 amp service I guess they don't want to go through the trouble of getting that upgraded to 200amps like I've requested. I asked for more details and the sales consultant guy cc'd the PowerUP project lead or whatever he is. Been a week and no further communication from either of them. Luckily I'm not in any rush on this project, but it's still super frustrating to deal with Tesla quality customer service.

I was interested in SPAN until the Tesla SA sent me this note and had to hold off….

————

Please let me know if you plan to update the MPU so we can hold off on installation

————-