TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Spare Fob Key - OK to Store With Battery Out?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by martinwinlow, Apr 20, 2015.

1. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

I have the 2 fobs and am only likely to use the one for now. Just wondering if it's OK - or even preferable - to store it with the battery out? Will it lose its 'memory' and not work after a while? MW

2. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

As long as the fob is far enough away from the car, it shouldn't drain much.
    That being said, what you could do is take the battery from the 2nd fob, and store the battery in your glove box. To be used in emergency in case the battery in your "daily use" fob dies.
    (I always carry a spare battery in my glove box just in case).

3. Barry

Barry Member

Doesn't matter much. The life of the battery won't be much different in or out of the fob.

4. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I don't have my car yet (it's due the middle part of next month) but I thought once the car gets here I'd keep one fob with me and use the Tesla app on my iPhone as a backup and leave the other fob somewhere safe where it won't get lost.

Won't that work? Can't the app do everything the fob can do, and more?

5. arg

arg Member

Only if both the car and your phone have good cellular coverage in the place where you need to use them. If you are parked underground in the city, or you've been hiking in some remote location with no coverage, the app isn't going to help.

6. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Ok, now I'm feeling a little silly. Somehow I thought the iPhone/app combination communicate directly with the car. But after reading your reply I realize the phone can only communicate with the car via the web.

As Mr. H. Simpson would say: "Duh!"

Thanks.