Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in one of the many threads on this subject (Maybe we could just skip the dialogue on whether or not it is smart to carry a spare and jack in a Model 3? ) someone mentioned that the Hyundai Genesis compact spare could work with the Model 3. Depending on the year model for this car I find they utilized either a 17"x 4 spare or a 18" x 4 spare both having the proper +40 offset and 5 x 114 hole pattern. My question then is will the 17" fit and not interfere with anything such as the brake? Sorry to rehash this subject.

Don't know anything about the 17", as I have the 18" Genesis compact spare, with a 64.1mm to 67.1mm centering ring. Here, I'm testing the fit, after installing the fabric wheel arch liners.
IMG_3568.jpg

So in one of the many threads on this subject (Maybe we could just skip the dialogue on whether or not it is smart to carry a spare and jack in a Model 3? ) someone mentioned that the Hyundai Genesis compact spare could work with the Model 3. Depending on the year model for this car I find they utilized either a 17"x 4 spare or a 18" x 4 spare both having the proper +40 offset and 5 x 114 hole pattern. My question then is will the 17" fit and not interfere with anything such as the brake? Sorry to rehash this subject.
Someone said (hearsay!) that the 17" fits on the front only. So, if you get a flat on the rear you'd have to put the spare on the front and then move the good tire to the rear. Not a bad idea to have your best tires on the rear anyway.
Probably somewhere in this epic thread: Model 3 has no spare tire

Reactions: jsmay311
I just got a little air compressor and plug kit off Amazon which will hopefully get me home at least, and it’s tiny.

@Daniel in SD I had the impression you wanted the better rubber up front, those bearing most of the burden of steering and braking loads?
I have always heard the opposite so the car doesn't oversteer. A quick search finds people saying you should put it on the non-drive axle. I guess it makes sense that on a front wheel driver car with 60% of the weight over the front wheels you should put the spare on the back. The Model 3 is rear wheel drive or rear biased AWD, though it is 50/50 weight balance. My guess is that the car will definitely stop faster with it on the back but going around a turn too fast would be bad.

The spare pictured above is limited duty. Limited to 50 mph. The Modern Spare is limited to 80mph.
Not really true. The tire is M rated, meaning 81mph, same as Modern Spare. Now I suppose it's possible that the wheel itself is rated for 50mph (never heard of such a thing!) but I think it's much more likely that Hyundai just doesn't want you to sue them when your donut doesn't corner or brake as well as a full sized tire.
EDIT: oops didn't notice that despite the M rating it does say 50mph max on the tire itself...

Last edited:
Speed rating should be F if the maximum speed is 50 MPH...yet the printed MAX SPEED is 50MPH, and the speed rating is M.

That's a contradictory head scratcher...
I still suspect it's at the request of the auto manufacturer. If you search for Pirelli spare tires (like used by Modern Spare) you can see they're on wheels that have 50mph max printed on them.

I just got a little air compressor and plug kit off Amazon which will hopefully get me home at least, and it’s tiny.

@Daniel in SD I had the impression you wanted the better rubber up front, those bearing most of the burden of steering and braking loads?
Always put your better, newer, fresher rubber on the back. The vast majority of people can manage understeer better than oversteer. If you are a Finnish rally driver, then do as you please!

The spare pictured above is limited duty. Limited to 50 mph. The Modern Spare is limited to 80mph.
All compact spares are "M" rated, meaning 81mph max. That's true of the ModernSpare, the Bimmerzone, and the Genesis compact spare. However, wheel/tire and car mfrs typically label these as 50-50 tires, that is 50mph and 50 miles. Modern Spare is basing their limit on the "M" rating of the tire.

Thanks (and from your nice pic it looks like the 17 might interfere with the brakes) but please tell me WTH are the fabric wheel arch liners?
In the quest for soundproofing, someone posted an eBay link to a mfr that makes fabric wheel arch liners. If you look at your car, the front wheel wells have plastic liners. The rear wheel wells have fabric. If you tap your wheel liners, they have a hollow plasticky sound. The idea is that these fabric wheel arch liners would help dampen the sound. It's actually a sandwich and not a replacement. You put the fabric over the plastic liners. Very easy. I did it last week, and made a thread:
Installed my wheel arch liner

I purchased two spare OEM 18” Tesla wheels/tires as a solution for this. I don’t carry them in my trunk because all of our travel is very local so worst case I’d have to have someone drive the spare from my house to my car and have the towing service swap it out. If I went on a long trip I could throw it in the trunk but I would not want to keep it there at all times. I know this may not be a good solution for people who drive longer distances but for local driving it gives me good peace of mind.

Reactions: KenC