TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Spare nose cone arrived today

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, Mar 29, 2013.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#1 artsci, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    The spare nose cone I had on order arrived today. It came in three pieces: the plastic part, and separately, the Tesla logo and bright trim. They snap into place on the plastic. This will make it much easier to have the carbon fiber vinyl stretched over the entire surface before the logo and bright trim details are attached. It will also be easy to cut out the mounting holes for the Blinder 905 laser jammer sensors I'm installing. Tesla gave me the choice of having it painted or unpainted. As I was covering it with the carbon fiber vinyl I chose the latter.

Here are a few photos.

DSC_3129.JPG

DSC_3130.JPG

DSC_3133.JPG

DSC_3136.JPG

Attached Files:

2. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

How much was an extra nose cone?

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

$350. Not bad in my opinion.

4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

That is cheap!

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

For sure, especially for those who want to experiment with changes to the appearance of the nose cone. You always have the stock nose cone as a back-up if something goes wrong.

6. PureAmps

PureAmps Model S P85 (#2817)

That is cheap. I just paid $450 (plus $385 labor) to have the chrome trim on the air diffuser under my rear bumper replaced (my wife likes to driver over curbs :scared:), I thought it was a little pricey for a trim piece. I mention that because I know they also sell that part without the chrome for less money (I think ~$300) and it may be interesting to have carbon fiber on both the nose cone and air diffuser. Only downside is you have to pull the entire rear bumper assembly off to replace it.

You seem to be amassing quite the collection of parts. When do you get your car? Curious to see the finished version.

- - - Updated - - -

On second thought maybe put carbon fiber over the black/gray plastic portion of the lower rear bumper and leave the chrome air diffuser. It would better match the nosecone.

7. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

That's cool. Looking forward to seeing what you'll do with the shifters, I'm happy with the position of mine, but the nosecone, positionally speaking, is the ideal spot for them.

8. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Artsci, what are you planning to wrap it with, and what color will your S be? The black nosecone is the one thing I don't like about my S's appearance...hmmm...

9. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Wow! I may buy one before they raise the price. The bug situation on the nose cone here in SE Florida is pretty bad. It will be nice to have a spare for when the permanently embedded bugs become too numerous.

10. Electric1

Electric1 Member

Hmmm...I was quoted $545. Me thinks my SC manager is misinformed. Thanks!

11. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Maybe $350 for unpainted and $545 for painted?

12. artsci

artsci Sponsor

If all goes well, I should get my car by the end of April. So I'm trying to get everything ready ahead of time. I'll be sure post photos when all is done.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to wrap it with 3M carbon fiber vinyl -- the type for outdoor use. My S will be multi-coat red.

13. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I know that $350 is not a bad price in this industry, but it looks like it's just a piece of molded plastic. What does it cost Tesla to make something like that?

14. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

To make just one, now? Probably a small fraction of that. To make the first one? Probably $200,000 ;)

15. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Here are some photos of the nose cone prepared for the vinyl wrap. The key step was cutting the slots for the Blinder 905 Laser jammer sensors. All of my research on the optimal location indicated that placement as close to the headlights as practicable was ideal. So I ruled out a location elsewhere (the lower grille, for example). According the Blinder engineers I spoke to, such locations are not recommended.

I wanted to cut the slots and test the fit of the sensors before the wrapping was done. Final alignment of the sensors, which is critical to the most effective operation, will be done when the nose cone is installed on the car, using lasers projected onto a wall 30 yards away. That way the alignment can be very precise.

Using Cat 5e connectors, I've set up the sensors so they can be easily plugged and unplugged when the nose cone is attached and/or removed. In fact, I've set up the whole Blinder and Passport system that way. This will make installation much easier my Model S car arrives.

DSC_3148.JPG

DSC_3147.JPG

DSC_3142.JPG

DSC_3144.JPG

DSC_3145.JPG

The nose cone is now at the shop for application of the vinyl wrap. It will be finished Monday. I'll post some pictures of it Monday night.

16. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Gorgeous work! I love it!

17. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Please Color code the Chrome to match your multicolor red. Betting it will look aaaaaawesome!

18. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Wow great work! So is it not possible to take off my cone to wrap it and just stick it back on? Do I really need to order a new one?

19. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Can imagine why you can't remove your current nose cone to have it wrapped. It comes off very easily.

20. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Picked up the wrapped nose cone last night and added the Blinder sensors. Here's what it all looks like now, without the Model S, of course. The before and after.

DSC_3148.JPG

DSC_3165.JPG

DSC_3166.JPG