TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

'Spare' plug in driver's door?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by HenryT, Nov 22, 2020 at 6:42 AM.

1. HenryT

HenryT Member

I have just replaced a door mirror in my 2015 70D which seems fine but the doors no longer want to lock?

I took the door panel off and checked all the connections were good and they seemed to be, but there is one white plug I can't find a home for?

Does anyone have an idea where this wants to go, assuming that's what my problem is?

2. domodan

domodan Member

Did you take a picture before you unhooked everything? Was it hooked up to something before?

3. HenryT

HenryT Member

No unfortunately not - I can locate all the other plugs and have compared this to the passenger door. The passenger door though doesn't seem to have this 'spare' connector?

4. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

The driver door has a lot more switches than the passenger door.

5. HenryT

HenryT Member

Well, it seems it is a spare of some sort - re affixed the door panel and re-made all the 'known' connections and everything seems to work fine. Still no idea what the white plug does though?

I should have added that I didn't disconnect it from anything in the first place, hence having no idea where it belongs.

6. 365gtb4

365gtb4 Member

Could the plug be for the optional lights in the premium interior lighting option?

7. HenryT

HenryT Member

I was thinking something like that, or to do with upgraded speakers or suchlike?

Either way, it is on a pretty short tail so whatever it plugs into can't be far away (or on its own tail).

8. beatle

beatle Member

That's likely it. Some cars will have two extra plugs - one for the optional interior lights and one for the puddle lights which are optional, but are functional if you plug in an additional light to it. I picked up some brighter interior lights for my frunk, trunk, and footwell lights, and then used the original lights as the puddle lights. You just need to cut through the vinyl covering the hole in the door.

Speakers are interchangeable between the UHFS and standard drivers; they use the same plug.