Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tire EZ Spare Allow Wheel 145/60D17 model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Does anyone have experience/feedback on how this spare tire does for Tesla Model 3 (AWD, 2019 - though fits most model 3s)

EZ Spare alloy wheel
Is a donut I believe - 145/60D17 (55mph)
Looking for spares on eBay — don’t want to look at Modern Spare (popular and seemingly the only one?) which seems too expensive for a one off use .. will appreciate any feedback on spare tire for Model 3 2019 (AWD/Long Range)

I have the Modern Spare. It is good to 80MPH and is the same size as the original; I'm not sure of the EZ Spare. Mine takes up a fair amount of trunk space, but it still leaves plenty. I can put it behind the front seat if I need to and it comes in case to keep things clean. I got it with the jack, etc.

I do not want to be going 55 MPH on the interstates when most everyone is at 70-80. I also want to get the bad tire fixed at my convenience and not in hurry because I am worried about driving 120 miles at speeds below traffic.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I have the Modern Spare. It is good to 80MPH and is the same size as the original; I'm not sure of the EZ Spare. Mine takes up a fair amount of trunk space, but it still leaves plenty. I can put it behind the front seat if I need to and it comes in case to keep things clean. I got it with the jack, etc.

I do not want to be going 55 MPH on the interstates when most everyone is at 70-80. I also want to get the bad tire fixed at my convenience and not in hurry because I am worried about driving 120 miles at speeds below traffic.
Thanks - that’s all quite helpful.

My issues with trying out “Modern Spare” -

1. Space - given model 3 is already little tight on it (imagine winter travel with additional winter jackets, and kids in tow! - space is such a big priority). Even small additional space helps. “Modern Spare” even if super nice on speed rating (which is super good), loses a few points due to size (with 2 car seats in the back - and 4 travelers - trunk is the ONLY option).

2. I feel (from experience, and driving route/location) - I’d personally avoid areas too far out for eg. when with kids and weather being on either side of non-ideal (say east coast snow season :)). I only plan to use it as back up option (my no 1 preferred way would be tire plugs, then Tesla roadside assist., then insurance/Geico - AAA would be no 1 if I am willing to pay for it :)).

3. I would be ok getting to safer place for the night and figuring tire puncture fix next day, and driving at speeds lower than 75 with may be blinkers on would be no issue at all. With auto steer :) I can be way more patient driver :) I feel $480~ for such a large/regular tire would be bigger issue - price is also a factor (something that is one off hopefully - and with 2 other lines of defense) - a reliable compact/donut would be something I’d be very very keen on. I feel cost/space is a big reason I’d look for alternatives here.

Would highly appreciate non “Modern Spare” options that other users may have (I also noted Hyundai Genesis 18” can work but would like to know with folks who have tried out spare tires). I’m learning great deal about preparedness (and thanks for superb forum and it’s users) that I never ever cared before but it’s totally different traveling with smaller kids/family

Hi, Does anyone have experience/feedback on how this spare tire does for Tesla Model 3 (AWD, 2019 - though fits most model 3s)

EZ Spare alloy wheel
Is a donut I believe - 145/60D17 (55mph)
Looking for spares on eBay — don’t want to look at Modern Spare (popular and seemingly the only one?) which seems too expensive for a one off use .. will appreciate any feedback on spare tire for Model 3 2019 (AWD/Long Range)
I know nothing about the EZ Spare, but 17" may not fit. The Modern Spare is also a donut. I have the Hankook S300 135/80/18 purchased off eBay as a Hyundai Genesis 2016 donut spare. Used to be about $100, but more expensive when people realized that Tesla owners were buying them. You may need to taper the lug holes, otherwise it's a perfect fit. Never had to use it.

Reactions: AJ..
I do not think the Modern Spare is a donut as it is the same diameter as the regular wheel+tire. The EZ Spare is 17" but I could not find the height; it may not be significantly smaller than the Modern, which they say is 6". The EX is $299 and the Modern is $399 and neither price includes shipping. Modern shipping is $48 but I could not find a shipping fee for EZ. Neither includes the tool kit; the Modern kit with carrying case is $30 and I did not see the cost of the EZ kit.

So it is $100 more for the Modern which is more functional. I can't tell the real size difference but EZ might tell you. I still have plenty of room in the trunk and I can load things on top of the spare too. I had three flats in the Tesla in the first few months requiring new tires and a fourth that I plugged. I did not have the spare until after those, so it may not be a one shot use of the spare! I hope for you that you never need to use one. Good luck in your travels!

Reactions: Lindenwood and AJ..
I’m sure they are responsive and just may be interested in selling me another spare I don’t actually need.
Just asking them the actual diameter and the height as well as the shipping cost and accessory costs is not going to obligate you to purchase it and are legitimate questions. I went to the site and was going to email them about it, but they seem to want to call me. Since I am not going to buy theirs since already have the Modern, I decided not to waste their time (or mine). If you get the answer it would be a service to all if you would post that information. Thanks.

Do you all know if a Modern Spare for a 2021 MY 19” tire can also be used on a 2022 M3LR with 18” tires? Already have spare for the Y and hate to buy another for the M3 if I don’t need to.
Just look at the tire size, punch it into a tire calculator, and then compare.

Okay, I looked, the 21 Y takes a 145/85/18 spare with 27.7" diameter. They spec a 135/80/18 with a 26.5" diameter for the 3. So, there's a 1.2" mismatch. The OEM 3 has a 26.3" diameter. A 26" to 26.5" tire would be considered a match. A 27.7" is too big.

Last edited:
20211014_125116.jpg
20211014_124748.jpg
Built this>
20211011_152249.jpg

Nice looking solution. My Modern Spare is 6" high and that, IIRC, leaves 12" above it to the cross-member while it is resting on the trunk floor. I'd post a picture, but the trunk is a mess at the moment and it is too cold to staright things up.

I got mine with the whole shebang-spare, jack (regular scissor-type), jack handle, lugnut wrench, assortment of lugnuts and a large plastic bag to hold the tire you took off to keep the trunk clean as well as a carry bag to hold everything. Youo can get just the tire and wheel if you prefer. Check their website: modernspare.com. I also have jack point"pucks". It also fits behind the front seats if you prefer.

Reactions: Zer0t
I’m considering a model 3 and want to take a long trip, thus I’m looking at spare tires. I’d only keep in the trunk for those long trips. Given Tesla has the well in the trunk and the frunk, I believe that will leave enough luggage room. Does that spare come with a jack kit, pucks?
- You’ll need to plan to keep current wheel (and not the donut) in your trunk for space
- My research on this (mostly depends on where you travel) - tire plug kits may be more handy (of course with jack and pads) as well given space issues with spare, and there’s also inflator, and Tesla/Car Insurance service for flats. Of course, ymmv.
- if you’re just 1 or 2 people traveling in M3 then may be some stuff in the back seat makes it better to carry modern spare wheel in trunk

Reactions: Zer0t
I'm only somewhat paranoid, but I think an odd-looking roundish thing in front of the reat seat is less attractive to a thief than a suitcase is. It is also heavier than a suitcase, and if they do get into the car they may just leave it. That being said, usually I keep my spare in the trunk and try to have nothing on the back seat (except at times my bicycle which could be a thief-attractant and is much lighter than the spare.

I really like this solution for the Modern Spare. Not sure I would have ever thought of raising it up on a platform like that! Absolutely brilliant.

Would you mind providing a few details?
* Looks like this allows you to easily access the subtrunk, is that true?
* With the turnbuckles hooked on there, do they interfere at all with the operation of the seats clicking into place?
* Was there a reason for the rounded front? It gives it an attractive "sled" appearance, but I wasn't sure if there was something functional to it as well.
* Can you provide a few specs? What size are those turnbuckles? Is that 3/4" plywood?
* Are you still using it?
* Anything you'd do differently if you were to do it again?

Thanks so much!