TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Spare tire idea

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bobfisk, Oct 20, 2015.

1. bobfisk

bobfisk New Member

For people who want a spare tire for their model X, but don't want to carry it inside the car, is any firm working on a technical solution which uses the trailer hitch mount as a point of attachment for an external spare tire carrier? If not, does this idea have any merit, or is it impractical? Thx..... Bob

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I suppose if I were going on a long trip somewhere remote where Tesla service or AAA might be out of reach, then I might stick a wheel on the back of my beautiful Model X, but for every day use, unnecessary and too ugly.

3. engle

engle Member

Jeep Grand Cherokee Hitch-Mounted Extra Wheel Example

This has been done before for Jeep Grand Cherokees, so I see no reason why one couldn't be designed or applied to a Model X that is going somewhere off the beaten path. (It should look better than this one, since there would be a stylish Model X extra wheel and tire mounted on it.)

Jeep Hitch Mount Tire Carrier 1.jpg
    Jeep Hitch Mount Tire Carrier 2.jpg
    Jeep Hitch Mount Tire Carrier 3.jpg

4. jgs

jgs Member

I can't imagine it would do anything good for aerodynamics/range.

5. engle

engle Member

Agree 100%. Personally, if I were to drive off the beaten path, then I would try to find one of those temporary spares, such as those provided with a Mercedes E Class that could fit into either the Frunk or the recessed rear storage area, that is size-compatible with Model X. They are rated at 50 mph and I've driven on one for 100's of miles while waiting for a replacement from http://tirerack.com since their prices are better than a Benz dealers.

Curious if anyone has used a temporary spare with their Model S?

6. bobfisk

bobfisk New Member

Yes Engle, thx, functionally something like that, but more elegant, aerodynamic, & of course, compatible with the overall styling of the model X. Maybe offer small temp tire or regular tire versions?

7. tonyinc

tonyinc Member

Does the X not come with a spare?

8. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I'm not so sure it would be a problem, it might even help slightly since filling in the space behind the car is generally good. I suspect though it would have no measurable effect at all because the sharp end of the roof lines seems like it would produce a lot of turbulence just behind the car where the tire would be mounted.

9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

We don't know for sure. Considering the fact that the S doesn't though means it likely won't.

Many new cars do not come with spare tires though. This isn't something Tesla is doing that's different.

10. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

Actually the other brands that I am aware of (e.g. BMW) come with "run flats". Tesla does offer the compressor/tire sealant accessory, but I don't know how effective it is.

11. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Good point. Neither do I. Are there any reports in the S discussions?

- - - Updated - - -

I found this an interesting read...

Spare Tires in New Cars: What You Need To Know on Edmunds.com

12. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel Member

13. jgs

jgs Member