Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare tire idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For people who want a spare tire for their model X, but don't want to carry it inside the car, is any firm working on a technical solution which uses the trailer hitch mount as a point of attachment for an external spare tire carrier? If not, does this idea have any merit, or is it impractical? Thx..... Bob

Jeep Grand Cherokee Hitch-Mounted Extra Wheel Example

For people who want a spare tire for their model X, but don't want to carry it inside the car, is any firm working on a technical solution which uses the trailer hitch mount as a point of attachment for an external spare tire carrier? If not, does this idea have any merit, or is it impractical? Thx..... Bob

This has been done before for Jeep Grand Cherokees, so I see no reason why one couldn't be designed or applied to a Model X that is going somewhere off the beaten path. (It should look better than this one, since there would be a stylish Model X extra wheel and tire mounted on it.)

Jeep Hitch Mount Tire Carrier 1.jpg

Jeep Hitch Mount Tire Carrier 2.jpg

Jeep Hitch Mount Tire Carrier 3.jpg

I can't imagine it would do anything good for aerodynamics/range.

Agree 100%. Personally, if I were to drive off the beaten path, then I would try to find one of those temporary spares, such as those provided with a Mercedes E Class that could fit into either the Frunk or the recessed rear storage area, that is size-compatible with Model X. They are rated at 50 mph and I've driven on one for 100's of miles while waiting for a replacement from http://tirerack.com since their prices are better than a Benz dealers.

Curious if anyone has used a temporary spare with their Model S?

I can't imagine it would do anything good for aerodynamics/range.
I'm not so sure it would be a problem, it might even help slightly since filling in the space behind the car is generally good. I suspect though it would have no measurable effect at all because the sharp end of the roof lines seems like it would produce a lot of turbulence just behind the car where the tire would be mounted.

We don't know for sure. Considering the fact that the S doesn't though means it likely won't.

Many new cars do not come with spare tires though. This isn't something Tesla is doing that's different.

Actually the other brands that I am aware of (e.g. BMW) come with "run flats". Tesla does offer the compressor/tire sealant accessory, but I don't know how effective it is.