Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tire Installed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK So my wife said she seldom uses the lower storage in the trunk and she also wants to have the security of a spare tire. I bit the bullet and started cutting and my modern spare fits perfectly in the rear without having the floor panels out of place. I will probably have to go back in and put sown some sound deadening material on the exposed metal but that's fine with me.
69257823189__9338A46B-0663-4A47-A4ED-A7543D607156.jpeg
69257825667__B308F3C9-A22F-4E49-BEDB-113100567B0B.jpeg

Great, huge space saving especially when going on a long trip out of town . If it is not too much of a problem, can I request you post a pic with w/o the spare tire in the bottom well. I want to figure out how you cut the the well partition/divider. Also is the pic of a model X or model Y
I just held the tire against the rear of the lower storage hole and scribed on the floor the outline of the tire. Cut out where you marked all the way to the metal. This is in a October 2021 Model Y. I have the rear casting so in earlier models there might be a welded beam going across, I'm not sure. Will post a picture of the cut out area later. Yes you will have to cut the moulded cover and the foam but its my car to do with as I will. All the parts are available if I want to go back to stock. Nothing is glued or stapled down. I had to temporarily put a cardboard box to support the tire in the storage area but I will make a support later when I make the hold down straps. In my second picture there are two big bolts that are threaded inside you can see right alongside the spare tire wheel hub on the casting of the car. That is where I plan on strapping the wheel as well as making them hold the forward part of the tire suspension part when I take out the cardboard box. I hope this makes sense.

I just held the tire against the rear of the lower storage hole and scribed on the floor the outline of the tire. Cut out where you marked all the way to the metal. This is in a October 2021 Model Y. I have the rear casting so in earlier models there might be a welded beam going across, I'm not sure. Will post a picture of the cut out area later. Yes you will have to cut the moulded cover and the foam but its my car to do with as I will. All the parts are available if I want to go back to stock. Nothing is glued or stapled down. I had to temporarily put a cardboard box to support the tire in the storage area but I will make a support later when I make the hold down straps. In my second picture there are two big bolts that are threaded inside you can see right alongside the spare tire wheel hub on the casting of the car. That is where I plan on strapping the wheel as well as making them hold the forward part of the tire suspension part when I take out the cardboard box. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks for providing the guidance - much appreciated

OK So my wife said she seldom uses the lower storage in the trunk and she also wants to have the security of a spare tire. I bit the bullet and started cutting and my modern spare fits perfectly in the rear without having the floor panels out of place. I will probably have to go back in and put sown some sound deadening material on the exposed metal but that's fine with me.
View attachment 884211View attachment 884212
Interesting

Heading to SoCal soon. I have two set of 19”. Winter and summer. figure load one for backup. Will have 3 adults and one child. Hopefully I can load everything else in there. 😬

View attachment 885253
Please do not strap a wheel to your back seat like that. A headrest is not a stable hardpoint to tiedown with.
Hook to hard points and do not allow play. Strap it down on the floor and stack soft goods on top of it. That's a large weight and better safe than convenient.

I probably could have done a neater and less destructive amount of cutting but I did not know where things would have ended up when I started. If I mount the spare with the center going down there is metal to metal contact so I put it with the center up. Good luck if you go this route. View attachment 886084View attachment 886085View attachment 886086
Thank you for posting the pics for the cut out . It gives some idea how the final pic is going to look like. The case of Lagunitas seems to have found the right storage place - no modification required. ;)

Please do not strap a wheel to your back seat like that. A headrest is not a stable hardpoint to tiedown with.
Hook to hard points and do not allow play. Strap it down on the floor and stack soft goods on top of it. That's a large weight and better safe than convenient.
Yea, I can just picture that thing coming loose in a frontal collision... and dude is that a car seat on the right??

AAA...plug kit...air pump...won't do you any good in the vast empty regions if you get a blowout, which does happen, even with the best tires.

YMMV.
Just to add to this:
the reason blowouts (complete tire failure, shredded tire) happen on road trips is simply because the chances of a flat happening at high speed is much greater since most of your time will be above 60mph.
Even a nail puncture can turn into a shredded tire by the time you slow down, get off the freeway or a safe spot.
The consequences are much greater, even if the chances are less.

In urban driving, majority of your driving is under 40mph and worst case AAA is not far away.

I hate fix a flat. It's a mess and corrosive and doesn't always work.

Tire plugs, air compressor.
For a road trip, or if you're just a well-squared away individual: a compact spare, scissor jack and jack pads.
I know that's not realistic for a lot of people, but learning to use plugs can be a real advantage with a flat.