Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tire Installed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ngng: Agreed. Vredestein Space Master (collapsible spare designed for Maserati Levante...exact bolt up, weight rating), 1.5 ton jack, breaker bar, pump: all nestled in the deep well.
I carry a plug kit as well, and if convenient, would plug first.

Attachments

• vredestein6.jpg
    vredestein6.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 325
  • vredestein4.jpg
    vredestein4.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 280
I have a 2020 and like this solution but will wait until somebody with an earlier Model Y like mine tries it first.

I suffered a non-repairable flat while driving on a smooth, paved road at less than 30 mph. Something very sharp that I didn't even see penetrated the sidewall just above the tread. The tire lost air so fast that I hardly had time to pull over before it was completely flat. Plugs and a can of sealant would have been useless.

Reactions: Andy7 and Skavatar
I have a 2020 and like this solution but will wait until somebody with an earlier Model Y like mine tries it first.

I suffered a non-repairable flat while driving on a smooth, paved road at less than 30 mph. Something very sharp that I didn't even see penetrated the sidewall just above the tread. The tire lost air so fast that I hardly had time to pull over before it was completely flat. Plugs and a can of sealant would have been useless.
Something to keep in mind with stock sized Tesla tires is that they are quite stretched stock. The standard rim width is 9.5in yet it's mounted with a 255mm width tire, which is actually two sizes smaller than ideal of 275mm. In other words a 9.5in rim has an ideal tire width of 275. To bring it all together, a 255 tire stretched on a 9.5 will unfortunately have a disproportionate amount of sidewall exposed. With an ideal tire width, sidewall punctures would be reduced to very uncommon occurrence.

Reactions: Skavatar

As it’s a 2020 likely without the cast rear I would Not suggest cutting any of the sheet metal supports on that car.

Really interested in this, glad to see a thread on the topic! And someone willing to modify to allow functionality that fits their needs, Thanks for sharing what you have learned OP!
Wish fully compatible space would have been built into the design, and allow the user to allocate the space as needed! Compatibility with a full sized spare when needed and All storage for those that need that.

Question for people that have looked into the topic, what are possible options for stowing a full sized diameter spare explicitly for long trips and to remote areas?

How wide dimensionally is the full area between the rails/castings /supports and bottom of the original storage area? Might a full sized spare fit into that area If reconfigured without compromising main structural components?
Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 7.56.44 PM.png

Would a deflated and evacuated "square" profiled full spare fit into the allocated under deck area? Or if the original sheet metal were to be reconfigured?

nD6mBjCo2szpOL0ad87wmUWlwsmOVnVQYXtk_EsnFxQ.jpg

Just curious what could be done when a spare is desirable as well as maximizing cargo space, especially in something like a Model3 where cargo space is at a premium.

Last edited:
With a stock 5th, you'll be lugging around more than double the weight of a spacesaver. It's a good idea, but maybe the compromises would overshadow the 'emergency' use of it.
Only when deemed Necessary for the temporary situation, sometimes there are clear reasons why you would want a full sized spare at the ready, and if that were possible without burning up the precious space above deck, I could really see the utility in the configuration.

The space back there is so close to being able to accommodate that, while I understand the weight and engineering goals, the flexibility to do that in stock form would have been really nice from my POV.

Especially if the spare could be restrained at the bottom, a clean form fitting barrier over the spare and contents able to be nested into the offset bucket.

Rotarypower101: This is why I went with the Vredestein Space Master collapsible spare, OEM on Maserati Levante. I picked one up (new) for around $400 from a car salvage yard. (see photos in post #22). When inflated, it's the exact diameter as the OEM 19"s on the MY, and wider than the Modern Spare.
Possible you have a more detailed post or thread on that option?

Really interested in what is possible or how to optimize that detail, to the point I would DIY a new sheet metal lower storage structure were it possible to do in a clean way and store a full sized spare capable of normal freeway speeds.

As it’s a 2020 likely without the cast rear I would Not suggest cutting any of the sheet metal supports on that car.
In context of mounting spare in the rear of the car, the 2020 and 2022 cars are practically the same. (I have repaired both).

You can’t fit a tire in that space on either car without cutting the plastic “bucket” (which is expensive, about $500 I think). This part is shared between 2022 and 2022.

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar
Yelobird: I haven't seen that anyone has cut any "sheet metal supports" on any car. Any mods I've seen have been to the carpet/pad trunk floor, and not structural. ;)
The person I directly replied to Says they have a 2020 MY as I have which does not have a rear casting. If Has a sheet metal welded rear frame with a cross over support which you should Not modify. The OP has a new model which only has.a foam partition. Cut as you like there!

AAA...plug kit...air pump...won't do you any good in the vast empty regions if you get a blowout, which does happen, even with the best tires.

YMMV.
This is true. I had the same mentality since I have AAA. Tire blew out in the middle of the desert in the summer (115F). I was stuck there for 3.5 hours waiting for a tow. I now throw in a modern spare on long road trips.

ngng: Agreed. Vredestein Space Master (collapsible spare designed for Maserati Levante...exact bolt up, weight rating), 1.5 ton jack, breaker bar, pump: all nestled in the deep well.
I carry a plug kit as well, and if convenient, would plug first.
Would love more info on this. From the pics, it looks like you just
- bought Vredestein Space Master, collapsed
- simply fit in the bottom storage but cut out the folding floor so it could peek out

ie the least destructive solution as you could probably buy another folding floor from Tesla.

Did I miss anything? This looks like the ideal solution if you not comfortable with cutting

Would love more info on this. From the pics, it looks like you just
- bought Vredestein Space Master, collapsed
- simply fit in the bottom storage but cut out the folding floor so it could peek out

ie the least destructive solution as you could probably buy another folding floor from Tesla.

Did I miss anything? This looks like the ideal solution if you not comfortable with cutting
Actually didn't cut the OEM folding floor. Replaced it with 3/8" plywood, cut to fit, covered in cheap "carpet" I picked up at Michael's. Note that the cutout is off-center, IIRC because the floor of the well is also offset. I don't remember. Leaning the wheel the way I did, there's room for the 1.5 ton jack, breaker bar, under the wheel.

I test fit the Vredestein on the car, fully inflated it, all the measurements are identical to Tesla OEM.

The Vredestein Space Master is around $800 from Maserati, IIRC, I picked it up at an auto dismantler for $400, shipped, new, never inflated/mounted.

Reactions: tm3lrawd