Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare tire question and TPMS or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking into picking up a spare tire for my Tesla Model 3. Amazon is showing spare rims for around $200. If I add spare tire with a non-TPMS valve will this throw my
TPMS monitoring system out of wack if I were to place the spare in my trunk as a backup? Or if in an emergency I have to mount the spare on my Tesla?

I'm looking into picking up a spare tire for my Tesla Model 3. Amazon is showing spare rims for around $200. If I add spare tire with a non-TPMS valve will this throw my
TPMS monitoring system out of wack if I were to place the spare in my trunk as a backup? Or if in an emergency I have to mount the spare on my Tesla?
I got a loaner wheel from the tow company when waiting for an appointment to fix replace a flat tire (it was a weekend so had to wait for weekday for SC to open, otherwise roadside would schedule a walk-in appointment). All it does is complain on the screen showing a TMPS warning, which is not a big deal as long as you are aware.

Upvote 0
I ordered via Amazon a spare tire rim for my 2018 Model 3. $214 including shipping. I plan on keeping it until I replace my current tires
and using the best tire to mount on the new rim as and emergency backup or for a longer than usual trip.
Did a lot of online research, looks like several options out of the UK and even New Zealand! Too far to ship to be economical.

Upvote 0
In the original question you asked about putting the spare without a monitor in the trunk, I thought. That would not be visible to the system, so it will not cause trouble. As the others said, when you take away the one with the TPMS and replace it with the spare, the system will notice (once the system starts registering the tires after a few miles of driving) and tell you, but it will not interfere with driving.

Upvote 0