Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tire/Tying Down Cargo - Finally Figured it Out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
After trying to figure out best way to do a spare for better part of a year, I think I finally did it. I toyed with a roof mount, a hitch mount, ext. But in the winter I bought a 5th wheel and tire, leaving them in the trunk. Probably was they moved around a ton. I was also very worried on storage loss.

Reality is it does eat up a lot of storage, but it has never been limiting when we use the frunk or back seat. I also made it very easy to take out if storage is priority.

I had bought a tire carry kit and foam pad, as well as leaving tire in plastic bag my shop gave me. But what finally made me finish this up was realizing I could use the lower LATCH ancor to tie the tire down. I found this really nifty, 300lb limit tiedown that makes tightening and removing super easy. Getting to the LATCH was super easy as well, I did remove the rear bench.

Overall very happy it is very secure now! Figured I'd share for anyone looking to secure cargo in trunk.

20190728_183455.jpg
20190728_180615.jpg
20190728_180459.jpg
20190728_180452.jpg

How much weight is your spare (or "5th wheel" as it seems to be a regular size? Is it a snow tire or all seasons tire?)
I noticed that your spare is blocking the access to the rear trunk hole. So you need to lift it I guess when you want to access it.
I wonder if you may have considered putting your "spare" under the rear speaker shelf?

spare-tire-mounted-under-speaker-shelf-jpg.423291

How much weight is your spare (or "5th wheel" as it seems to be a regular size? Is it a snow tire or all seasons tire?)
I noticed that your spare is blocking the access to the rear trunk hole. So you need to lift it I guess when you want to access it.
I wonder if you may have considered putting your "spare" under the rear speaker shelf?

spare-tire-mounted-under-speaker-shelf-jpg.423291

It's a full-size 19" rim and tire so 40-50lbs I guess?

No issue at all getting to the dr-unk (as I call the rear sub trunk). I actually have every inch packed with tools and I can slid it right up.

Im worried on weight, especially how I drive, under the shelf. And then I lose almost all the trunk as it would be centered. At least this way I have space in front and to side