TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Spare tire?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jp158, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jp158

jp158 Member

This may be dumb but where is the spare tire in the S... ?

Thanks

2. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

No spare with the Model S.

3. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

Yep, there is no spare. You use a pump and sealant to fix your flat instead of carrying a spare. Then you get the tire replaced or repaired once you drive to a shop.

Cheers.

4. mdh

mdh VIN 2747 P4679

BTW, does the tire sensor always get damaged after sealant? Thanks

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Depends on the sealant. The newer sealants aren't supposed to (though they still make a mess) but I don't know there is enough evidence yet to say for certain. Rather than the sealant, you can get a kit from Griot's garage. With either method (sealant or plugs) be sure to get the tire demounted and the interior inspected afterwards.

6. SteveH

SteveH Member

I'm thinking about packing both sealant and plugs. If I get a nail during the day with the sun out, I'm all about taking the tire off and plugging it to avoid the possible clean-up/repairs later. If I'm running late someplace, at night, in the rain. I want the option of pumping some sealant and air in and getting where I need to go.

7. jerry33

It should be pretty easy to plug the tire with the suspension set to very high or lock. You shouldn't need to remove the tire to do this. With cars that don't have adjustable suspension it can be a pain.

8. PattyChuck

PattyChuck P6703 VIN4080

Would you need to jack the car up, though? What if the wheel goes completely flat? Does the car even have a jack?

9. jerry33

No, you shouldn't have to jack the car up--just put the suspension in very high or lock position to allow access to the tread. You would need the penetration to be visible so you could get at it, so you might have to move the car just a bit to find the hole.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder