Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, does the tire sensor always get damaged after sealant? Thanks

Depends on the sealant. The newer sealants aren't supposed to (though they still make a mess) but I don't know there is enough evidence yet to say for certain. Rather than the sealant, you can get a kit from Griot's garage. With either method (sealant or plugs) be sure to get the tire demounted and the interior inspected afterwards.

I'm thinking about packing both sealant and plugs. If I get a nail during the day with the sun out, I'm all about taking the tire off and plugging it to avoid the possible clean-up/repairs later. If I'm running late someplace, at night, in the rain. I want the option of pumping some sealant and air in and getting where I need to go.

I'm thinking about packing both sealant and plugs. If I get a nail during the day with the sun out, I'm all about taking the tire off and plugging it to avoid the possible clean-up/repairs later. If I'm running late someplace, at night, in the rain. I want the option of pumping some sealant and air in and getting where I need to go.

It should be pretty easy to plug the tire with the suspension set to very high or lock. You shouldn't need to remove the tire to do this. With cars that don't have adjustable suspension it can be a pain.

Would you need to jack the car up, though? What if the wheel goes completely flat? Does the car even have a jack?

No, you shouldn't have to jack the car up--just put the suspension in very high or lock position to allow access to the tread. You would need the penetration to be visible so you could get at it, so you might have to move the car just a bit to find the hole.