Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you take the front floor cover off you can stand the spare in its case up behind the seat and strap it in . Might be able to stand up the bare tire without taking off that piece but I don't think so. I don't carry mine around locally figuring I'll call my wife to bring it if local or Tesla or a local tow back to my house. I bought it more for trips. So my behind the rear seat is not a permanent home. It also blocks a bit of the rear view but as that pretty much sucks anyway, that issue doesn't bother me.

Reactions: RayB
Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 7.57.31 AM.png

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
It's a modern spare. This is not my car, just an idea from another member who has done this. The deck is up about 1-2". I am going to do this to my MY to fit my modern spare, and I am going to take out the foam crossover divider to get more depth for the tire. You lose the front small storage and part of the rear but on a trip I don't mind the spare being there. Might put some stick-on sound deadener on the exposed metalwork when I take out the foam.

• Informative
Reactions: Rice&Curry
I just posted this.
Useless Link. No reference where the spare tire was bought

Useless Link. No reference where the spare tire was bought
links and references to modern spare are all over the place. In an odd twist of the fickle universe it is modernspare.com. They even have a section for the model y Fits All 2020-2023 Tesla Model Y Models -Spare Tire And Complete Accessory Kit Options

Personally I'm OK going naked locally. Can call my wife or daughter to bring me the spare. Or tesla. On trips I just fold down the rear seats for more luggage, cargo space anyway and the MS fits nicely between the front and rear seats.

Modern spare. I have a heavy rubber mat on the floor and place the spare back there. It stays in place well. Also it’s tied to the black anchor bars that are on the back of the seat backs. If I need the floor space, the spare goes on top of the rear parcel shelf with no rear view mirror interference. Surprisingly it does not slide or move around at all. I don’t worry about it catapulting to the front in the event of a panic stop b/c the rear seat back and headrests don’t leave enough room for the wheel to fit through.

That's interesting abut the package shelf. I'm surprised it handles the weight. Mine is pre-shelf so can't consider that. Still for someone who doesn't carry passengers I think the upright behind the front passenger seat might be the best (at least until I do it differently <g>)

Modern spare. I have a heavy rubber mat on the floor and place the spare back there. It stays in place well. Also it’s tied to the black anchor bars that are on the back of the seat backs. If I need the floor space, the spare goes on top of the rear parcel shelf with no rear view mirror interference.

Can you post a picture? Not so sure those back of the seat anchor points will be strong enough, because they are for child car seats not a spare tire. And what rear parcel shelf are you talking about? The Model Y doesn't have a rear parcel shelf.

Here is a pic of my spare on the parcel shelf tethered to the child seat safety bars. Keep in mind that it is routine for most people to carry items much heavier than that spare untethered in the rear cargo area. In any case, that’s my setup and I don’t see any safety issues, as even untethered it cannot fit between the headrests in the even of a panic stop or crash.
Not all Model Ys came with a parcel shelf, but mine did. They are also available from Tesla.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.jpeg
    IMG_0924.jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0925.png
    IMG_0925.png
    835.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Disagree
Reactions: Resist