Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tyre for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Lisa,
Welcome to the forum,
You ask a good question and there are a couple of discussions about potential spares in the Australian forum but no simple or cheap answer.
Modern Spare tyres for SX3
Spare wheel for Model 3 Performance
I have bought the Tyre Inflator kit for my Model S and it has got me out of trouble a couple of times when I have picked up some screws in my tyres.
However I can't find it in the Tesla shop Australia right now.
You can log a service request through your app and they may sell them as a spare part or tell you when they are next in stock.

• Helpful
Reactions: kpdog and Hairyman
If you want a tyre, heck, I've got a spare 235/45R18 sitting at home.

Buying a tyre isn't exactly expensive. Any tyre shop can find you one or two. It's a slightly obscure size, but you can probably find one if you phone around tyre shops in the highlands. And you can get tyres dirt cheap if you drive to Tempe.

Buying a wheel, on the other hand... Yeah... Tesla quoted me $510 ex-GST for a new rim. One of mine is slightly dented. It's fine on the back, but it'll cause a wobble if I put it on the front, which makes tyre rotation tricky. I'm keeping an eye out for Model 3s arriving at wreckers. If one comes in with 18 inch wheels, I'm getting one of them!

I kept the best tyre from the last set - plan to pack it for long trips so that at least Black Stump Tyres has something to work with. Doesn't weigh much and has a handy storage hole in the centre. Also packing a compressor and various tyre repair kits.

Hi All, any recommendations for where to purchase a spare tyre in Sydney, NSW Australia for the Model 3?
Well, I'm in California, and I ordered my spare tyre from the Bimmer Zone, but the model 3 is not available.

I liked in particular that the wheels had a Centering Ring,
allowing to perfectly center the wheel instead of relying on the bolts to center the wheel.

I imagine that looking at BMW spare tyres might help you finding a correct spare tyre.

I have a model 3 spare I rent out for $50/month just to recoup costs. Sydney northern suburbs.
I thought I'd better test drive what I'm offering, so I took my spare on a recent trip up to Byron bay a few weeks ago. I found the best layout was too keep all charging cables, and Jack in the frunk, and then sit the spare wheel in the boot behind the rear seats. Although the wheel is big, it's basically hollow, so you can store stuff inside the hub, and if you take the floor divider out of the boot, you can stand suitcases up just fine.

In summary, it looks like it takes a lot of room, but if you pack cleverly, you can still get a lot of luggage in.

PM me if you want to borrow the spare wheel.

Reactions: Hovean and cafz
I have a model 3 spare I rent out for $50/month just to recoup costs. Sydney northern suburbs.
Hi gm12 - I'm not in Sydney but I'm looking into getting a spare for my Model 3. I live up in North QLD, and if I go out of town without a spare I could end up hours away from support if I blow a tyre - it's a reasonably big risk, and with the heat we get in Australia I don't want to end up stranded!

Can you tell me if there are any special requirements for the Rim/Wheel itself? I asked a local tyre company and they said they could source a rim and tyre to fit no problems, but they were not sure if the Tesla wheels/rims had any special requirements to engage the motors (like, magnets or special fittings etc.).

Is it just a case of getting the correct size/spec rim, or do you need a special one?

Thanks!

They don't list one as an accessory, but maybe available as a spare part.

I'm wondering whether I should ask my lease company to negotiate supply of one spare wheel + tyre
I did that with my current car - it came with run-flats but I got a space saver with an official part number etc
I've never used it but good to have
unlike a Tesla it actually has a well in the boot for a spare

has anyone bought one from tesla?
if so, how much does a wheel cost?
For the rim? $509.09 ex-GST.

More if you also want a tyre. Though better to keep an old tyre around for that, picking the best to keep when you get a new set. I’ve accumulated two for some reason, that both still have a little life left.

I bought two stock rims (a spare and a replacement) off a guy in Melbourne who bought fancier rims for his SR+ and didn’t want to keep paying for his storage unit. Put ‘em on a Firefly bus as freight, and I met the bus at the Yass Junction servo. He kept his TPWS to go into his new rims. I had the tyre shop swap one of my TPWSs into the replacement.
C543268A-8143-44EF-873B-33CA63BB1CC0.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
Hi gm12 - I'm not in Sydney but I'm looking into getting a spare for my Model 3. I live up in North QLD, and if I go out of town without a spare I could end up hours away from support if I blow a tyre - it's a reasonably big risk, and with the heat we get in Australia I don't want to end up stranded!

Can you tell me if there are any special requirements for the Rim/Wheel itself? I asked a local tyre company and they said they could source a rim and tyre to fit no problems, but they were not sure if the Tesla wheels/rims had any special requirements to engage the motors (like, magnets or special fittings etc.).

Is it just a case of getting the correct size/spec rim, or do you need a special one?

Thanks!
The Tesla wheel size is, unfortunately, quite unique. Stud pattern + hub diameter. You'll struggle to find one. Also, there is an odd bolt on the disk brake caliper, which you'll have to remove if you want to fit a non standard wheel.
So, easiest way is to get a 2nd hand tesla wheel and tyre off someone who has upgraded their wheels. They come up regularly in the Facebook Tesla groups.
Usually around $400 for a 19 inch wheel, which is fine for all model 3 variants.

Pick up a sissor jack with minimum 1000kg capacity, and some jacking plugs from eBay for $10.
Sorted.

For the rim? $509.09 ex-GST.

More if you also want a tyre. Though better to keep an old tyre around for that, picking the best to keep when you get a new set. I’ve accumulated two for some reason, that both still have a little life left.

I bought two stock rims (a spare and a replacement) off a guy in Melbourne who bought fancier rims for his SR+ and didn’t want to keep paying for his storage unit. Put ‘em on a Firefly bus as freight, and I met the bus at the Yass Junction servo. He kept his TPWS to go into his new rims. I had the tyre shop swap one of my TPWSs into the replacement.
View attachment 778571
on advice from my leasing person I’ve contacted Tesla to get a price for wheel + tyre
when I was organising the lease Tesla said they would only negotiate on the car, no accessories - stuff like the wall charger, roof racks etc
I suspect wheel + tyre might be categorised that way too