Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare tyre under-trunk modification for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No spare tire for MY has probably discussed somewhere ???
Some car manufactures do not include a spare tire (to reduce wt?0, My cousin Rav4 does not have a spare tire

What do people do with Tesla/ please share your thoughts and experience . Some carry a small portable air compressor for emergency?

Thanks
Yes, I bought the Tesla kit which has a small compressor and a can of the 'fix a flat' gunk. Some folks carry a repair kit if they get a hole in the tire that can be spotted (i.e., from a nail). Some use a Modern Spare tire. I wonder if @DrTe$la ever figured out a solution?

I wouldn't mind having an onboard spare (I do keep one at home). However, not sure I'd want to tear up trunk area as next owner may not find this as a positive. Seems that if you're capable of cutting up trunk, you'd be more than capable of simply plugging a tire and carrying a small, compressor. If not comfortable with plugs then you could get several years of AAA membership for the price of a Modern spare.

I wouldn't mind having an onboard spare (I do keep one at home). However, not sure I'd want to tear up trunk area as next owner may not find this as a positive. Seems that if you're capable of cutting up trunk, you'd be more than capable of simply plugging a tire and carrying a small, compressor. If not comfortable with plugs then you could get several years of AAA membership for the price of a Modern spare.
Unless of course you're out in the boonies with no cell service (e.g., many locales in NV).

best solution i have found, so far. wood frame gives full support to covers and keeps them level. Loose about 4 inches of headroom but I just left it slotted together so it was easy to take apart and put to side with the tire if I needed the headroom for something tall.

Attachments

• 20220815_164917.jpg
    20220815_164917.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 1,803
  • 20220815_165050.jpg
    20220815_165050.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 276
  • 20220815_165208.jpg
    20220815_165208.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 265
  • 20220815_165254.jpg
    20220815_165254.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 350
best solution i have found, so far. wood frame gives full support to covers and keeps them level. Loose about 4 inches of headroom but I just left it slotted together so it was easy to take apart and put to side with the tire if I needed the headroom for something tall.

How did you bent this piece of laminated wood? This seems to be a daunting job.

- How many pieces did you use and what the thickness of each piece.

Note: Maybe you could put someblack paint to make the frame less noticeable.

Last edited:
wow, if someone could create a similar black foam insert it could be really inexpensive and easy to use for road trips

@Noflask... I really like the idea. I thought about doing the same thing about a week ago. I fact I spend 1/2 hr try to figure out the best way WITHOUT losing head space and minimizing "damage".
Would U be kind enough to take the same picture WITHOUT a spare tire so that We could understand your cut? how deep ? Would be great if U could share the cut dimension then I have the gut to do it. How do U tie it to secure it in place.
Thanks and enjoy yours

@Noflask... I really like the idea. I thought about doing the same thing about a week ago. I fact I spend 1/2 hr try to figure out the best way WITHOUT losing head space and minimizing "damage".
Would U be kind enough to take the same picture WITHOUT a spare tire so that We could understand your cut? how deep ? Would be great if U could share the cut dimension then I have the gut to do it. How do U tie it to secure it in place.
Thanks and enjoy yours
Here's what mine looks like without the tire and with the tire.

Attachments

• PXL_20230131_183141942.jpg
    PXL_20230131_183141942.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 271
  • PXL_20230131_184059182.jpg
    PXL_20230131_184059182.jpg
    722.9 KB · Views: 269
Thanks and enjoy yours

Thanks Pros for great ideas. I just look at the cargo space of my 2023 MYLR and if I cut/trim both sides then it would it in nicely. Am I correct or still missing important points. Your thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated
View attachment 928014
You need to trace a half-circle with an utility knife. More detail is found here - Spare Tire Installed!

Then you lay the flap you created flat with the tire. You'll need to bolt a ratcheting strap to keep the tire flay and secure (see thread above). Then you'll need some sort of support under the near edge of the tire. I'm still thinking that part over. Even with my strap ratcheted tight the tire still wants to drop a little into the subtrunk and lift up the floorboards. Prob a 2" by 4" cut to fit would work. It might need some something to secure it to the subtrunk. Could be a screw or even a piece of velcro.

Here's my pic without the tire. I had to cut a little wider than this to reach the bolts for the strap. Good luck!
PXL_20230319_200736392.jpg

Reactions: JonB65
You need to trace a half-circle with an utility knife. More detail is found here - Spare Tire Installed!

Then you lay the flap you created flat with the tire. You'll need to bolt a ratcheting strap to keep the tire flay and secure (see thread above). Then you'll need some sort of support under the near edge of the tire. I'm still thinking that part over. Even with my strap ratcheted tight the tire still wants to drop a little into the subtrunk and lift up the floorboards. Prob a 2" by 4" cut to fit would work. It might need some something to secure it to the subtrunk. Could be a screw or even a piece of velcro.

Here's my pic without the tire. I had to cut a little wider than this to reach the bolts for the strap. Good luck!
View attachment 928049
Many Thanks to all the Pros in this wonderful forum with educational pictures. They gave me very good ideas to work on this project next.
Again, many many many thanks to you all

Reactions: Noflash
Many Thanks to all the Pros in this wonderful forum with educational pictures. They gave me very good ideas to work on this project next.
Again, many many many thanks to you all
And a floor mat over the rear hatch area covers everything up nicely and makes it easier to load things since you don't have to work around the inevitable unevenness between the two panels.

First try. not 100% perfect but almost there . Not 100% flushed yet but eventually the wt of tire would hopefully flatten it out more. I am going to ride it for a few wks then tie if down with strap
First try April 14 2023.jpg
IF NEEDED. Right now it's about 1/4"-1/2" above the "flush point" (for a lack of a better term)

First try. not 100% perfect but almost there . Not 100% flushed yet but eventually the wt of tire would hopefully flatten it out more. I am going to ride it for a few wks then tie if down with strapView attachment 928343 IF NEEDED. Right now it's about 1/4"-1/2" above the "flush point" (for a lack of a better term)
Please advise. Based on your current setup , what is your recommendation to tie it down and how? I am just trying to make the most out of your excellent work. Any more pictures about "the trap" would be greatly appreciated