TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Spare wheel options

Discussion in 'Model X' started by OzSimon, Dec 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. OzSimon

OzSimon Member

my x arrives in a couple of weeks and I am not keen on long road trips without a spare. Is there any known space saver wheel to fit the x?

2. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

This is a very good question. My X will be the first car I've ever owned that didn't have a spare. I've been thinking that I would get the Tesla tire repair kit with the sealer and compressor for a temporary fix, but I don't like the idea of having someone unfamiliar with Tesla repairing the tire and dealing with the sensor and the sound deadening in the tire. A spare would be better, even if just to carry during a long trip.

But there are other issues to consider. You'd also need a jack and tool (can't remember the name) to remove the lug nuts, and can you even jack up an X? And if so where? I just looked in the manual and it mentions nothing about how to replace a tire yourself, jack points, etc. The manual just mentions the repair kit and calling for roadside assistance (in the unlikely event that you happen to be within 50 miles of a service center).

• Like x 1
  3. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

#3 vandacca, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Here is some random information regarding tire punctures:
    • Tire Sealant is only a temporary fix to get you to safety. It renders the tire unrepairable and must be completely replaced ASAP (this also applies to the Tesla's Tire Repair Kit)
    • You could try fixing it yourself with a tire plug kit
    • After using sealant or plug, you'll need a compressor like that in Tesla's Tire Repair Kit, or this fancy combo pack.
    • I heard that the BMW Spare Tire Kit may work, but I haven't tried it myself (you'll still need a jack & lug wrench)
    • Do a search on this forum, lots of threads already discussing this topic.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Great info, vandacca, thanks!

5. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

What tire plug kit were you referring to? The link takes you to the Tesla repair kit as well.

6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Sorry, I repaired the link above. It was the Stop & Go Deluxe Tire Kit.

• Informative x 1
  7. Oz Pete

Oz Pete Member

I'm in the same position, I'll be in fairly remote areas and don't want to be stuck without a spare. Did you end up exploring the BMW spare tire kit option?

8. OzSimon

OzSimon Member

At this time I have found no options for a spare, and there really is no room to carry a full size wheel so I cancelled my order for a spare and am winging it.

bob Jane told me the sealant option often will get you out of trouble....

9. diesel

diesel Member

Any possibility to buy run flats for your X?

• Disagree x 1