Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a very good question. My X will be the first car I've ever owned that didn't have a spare. I've been thinking that I would get the Tesla tire repair kit with the sealer and compressor for a temporary fix, but I don't like the idea of having someone unfamiliar with Tesla repairing the tire and dealing with the sensor and the sound deadening in the tire. A spare would be better, even if just to carry during a long trip.

But there are other issues to consider. You'd also need a jack and tool (can't remember the name) to remove the lug nuts, and can you even jack up an X? And if so where? I just looked in the manual and it mentions nothing about how to replace a tire yourself, jack points, etc. The manual just mentions the repair kit and calling for roadside assistance (in the unlikely event that you happen to be within 50 miles of a service center).

Reactions: Cowby
Here is some random information regarding tire punctures:
  • Tire Sealant is only a temporary fix to get you to safety. It renders the tire unrepairable and must be completely replaced ASAP (this also applies to the Tesla's Tire Repair Kit)
  • You could try fixing it yourself with a tire plug kit
  • After using sealant or plug, you'll need a compressor like that in Tesla's Tire Repair Kit, or this fancy combo pack.
  • I heard that the BMW Spare Tire Kit may work, but I haven't tried it myself (you'll still need a jack & lug wrench)
  • Do a search on this forum, lots of threads already discussing this topic.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and hollywood
Here is some random information regarding tire punctures:
  • Tire Sealant is only a temporary fix to get you to safety. It renders the tire unrepairable and must be completely replaced ASAP (this also applies to the Tesla's Tire Repair Kit)
  • You could try fixing it yourself with a tire plug kit
  • After using sealant or plug, you'll need a compressor like that in Tesla's Tire Repair Kit, or this fancy combo pack.
  • I heard that the BMW Spare Tire Kit may work, but I haven't tried it myself (you'll still need a jack & lug wrench)
  • Do a search on this forum, lots of threads already discussing this topic.
What tire plug kit were you referring to? The link takes you to the Tesla repair kit as well.