Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speaker upgrade with custom mounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG!! Thank you thank you for this!!! I just ordered two of each on thingiverse from a place in Colorado for $101!! This is going to save me an enormous amount of time. I'm using audiofrog GB 60 for my project which I think should drop in. If it doesn't I'll just make an adapter plate on my router table. The audiofrog is 5/8" deeper so the adapter plate may be necessary, but the amount of time involved in fabbing something like this by hand is crazy huge!! This is amazing!! Thank you!!!

OMG!! Thank you thank you for this!!! I just ordered two of each on thingiverse from a place in Colorado for $101!! This is going to save me an enormous amount of time. I'm using audiofrog GB 60 for my project which I think should drop in. If it doesn't I'll just make an adapter plate on my router table. The audiofrog is 5/8" deeper so the adapter plate may be necessary, but the amount of time involved in fabbing something like this by hand is crazy huge!! This is amazing!! Thank you!!!

Let us know how it goes. The Audiofrogs are some of the most expensive speakers and comparable to some Focals. The specs indicate the sensitivity is 88db at 4Ω which might require external amps to get the most out of them.

I wanted to share my upgrade of my front door speakers using Infinity Kappa 62.11i. These are one of the few aftermarket speakers that I could find that have 2Ω impedance which matches the factory specification. This was important to get as close as possible to retain efficiency from the factory amps. noticed others using the same speaker mentioned that they ended up reusing the factory mounts and cutting out the OEM speaker. I wanted to retain the original speakers so I decide to create a 3D printed version. Below are a few pictures of the mount and connector ATTACH=full]296290[/ATTACH] Bottom with felt glued on.View attachment 296291 peaker Connector. ATTACH=full]296293[/ATTACH] After having just one of the upgraded speakers installed I was able to compare it between the factory speaker and my observations are that the Infinity made a huge difference in clarity of the upper and mid frequencies while removing the boomy one note sound of the oem, especially at higher volume. On the bottom end, it really did not add any additional bass but tightened up what was there. I wasn't expecting much as you can only get so much bass out of a 6 1/2" driver. I also noticed I could increase the volume beyond 7 without distortion. This was definitely worth the time and minimal expense (about $130 for the speakers, 3D filament and misc materials).

Well done... :cool:

CAD files were designed in Solidworks. Converting the native Solidworks file into STL format introduced the stepped appearance.

So the process is:

Design in Solidworks -> Convert/Save to STL file format -> Generate G-code (Cura) -> Print on 3D printer (Monoprice Maker Ultimate)

The stepped appearance is from the 3D printing which is FDM, You can get a smooth finish using SLA but not quite as cheaply (PS that maker ultimate is a cool machine!!)

Let us know how it goes. The Audiofrogs are some of the most expensive speakers and comparable to some Focals. The specs indicate the sensitivity is 88db at 4Ω which might require external amps to get the most out of them.

Yes sir! I’m running my uhfs into a jl fix 82 then in to a helix p six which is 120w/channel rms at 4 ohms. I have all the wire ran, now I’m in the amp rack design phase. I’m going to fab up
Something to fit in there the factory sub was for the fix and p six. And probably install the sub amp on the other side. In that cut out area.

For any body that's interested I can confirm that these mounts fit an audiofrog GB60 mid bass woofer perfectly. No additional adapters needed. This is made me exceedingly happy and I cant thank the original poster enough for this. I still need to do the acetone vapor bath, sand, and joint them together but I sure am off to a great start. This probably saved me a day of work fabricating mounts. Cost me I think $102 for the pair. Dirt cheap compared to the labor involved to make these. Just hoping they're strong enough to hold my woofer in place!

Local shops usually asked me more than $2000 for Sound deadening and custom brackets. So I made it by myself.

Spec
Focal Speaker
Front and back door Tesla 3d printed speaker bracket

Jeongmin Lee

Attachments

• IMG_1996.jpeg
    IMG_1996.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 131
Infinity Kappa 62.11i is discontinued. Hard to find online now

There's a video on YouTube of a Canadian gentleman using Infinity Kappa 62ix which are readily available online with the same specs except they are rated at 2.5 ohm. 62.11i are 2 ohm

Anyone have any suggestions? Mines a 2015 Model S with stock sound - no sub. I'm only looking to change out the front speakers (rear don't make much difference in my past experience). Thanks

You won't hear the difference the 2 impedance ratings, many other variables affect the sound more.

FYI, the front speakers are 2 way speakers. Installing a coaxial in place of the midrange speaker location will only bring the sound stage lower. I wouldn't recommend going that route.

I ran the 62ix in the rear for a bit. Agreed that upgrading the rear speakers is a waste of time and money. They had no problems fitting though.

I also would not replace the front midbass with a coax. I am pretty sure Tesla runs the stock drivers full range, but there is natural roll off due to the driver not having a tweeter. You won't get that roll off with a coax.