Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speaker upgrade with custom mounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share my upgrade of my front door speakers using Infinity Kappa 62.11i. These are one of the few aftermarket speakers that I could find that have 2Ω impedance which matches the factory specification. This was important to get as close as possible to retain efficiency from the factory amps.

I noticed others using the same speaker mentioned that they ended up reusing the factory mounts and cutting out the oem speaker. I wanted to retain the original speakers so I decide to create a 3D printed version. Below are a few pictures of the mount and connector.

SpeakerSideView2.jpg

Bottom with felt glued on.
SpeakerMountBotton.jpg

Speaker Connector.
SpeakerConnector.jpg

After having just one of the upgraded speakers installed I was able to compare it between the factory speaker and my observations are that the Infinity made a huge difference in clarity of the upper and mid frequencies while removing the boomy one note sound of the oem, especially at higher volume. On the bottom end it really did not add any additional bass but tightened up what was there. I wasn't expecting much as you can only get so much bass out of a 6 1/2" driver. I also noticed I could increase the volume beyond 7 without distortion. This was definitely worth the time and minimal expense (about $130 for the speakers, 3D filament and misc materials).

Well done, I have a set of 3D printed speaker brackets to install in mine as well. Though I'm installing a complete custom system and replacing all the stock speakers and adding subwoofers, assuming I can find the time to finish it all lol. This seems like an excellent low cost solution!

Reactions: macmovieman
Pack this wonderful combo to the second row, where it´s needed and install some bigger weapons in the first row instead. Still cannot believe how good this sounds.

I thought about that but realized there isn't much sound coming from the rear speakers so I'm not sure much would be gained. The rears have absolutely no bass coming from them. It might improve high frequencies a bit though.

Guessing you designed those mounts on Tinkercad? The round radius isn't as smooth so it gives a stepped appearance.
Nice work... show pics installed!

CAD files were designed in Solidworks. Converting the native Solidworks file into STL format introduced the stepped appearance.

So the process is:

Design in Solidworks -> Convert/Save to STL file format -> Generate G-code (Cura) -> Print on 3D printer (Monoprice Maker Ultimate)

Awesome, thanks for sharing the design file. Just FWI if anyone else is interested in getting them printed "Print a Thing" service wants about $102 to print the parts (ABS material and I checked with 50% and 100% infill, same price), 3dhubs.com wants $40 just for the speaker connector (which Print a thing charged $0.50 for, go figure) the other two parts wouldn't generate an automatic quote. The whole 3D printable revolution sure hasn't driven prices down much. Anyone who was bought 3D printing services before have any tips on pricing? Maybe a local maker space?

These are good sized prints, approaching the max print area of my printer. Another reason why they are two separate pieces. I didn't want a failed print 20 hours into it and wake up with a giant cobweb mess (and yes it has happened!). I think it took a combined 25-30 hours for each speaker mount at 90% fill. The connector on the other hand printed in about 5 minutes so I don't understand the $40 quote. You don't have to print the connector at 90% since it's not really supporting any weight.

Playing around with it some more it looks like 3dhubs.com will do all three for $55, probably. But then you will still need two of each so $96 total. I think, the website is a little unclear. The $40 I mentioned before looks like it is for all three parts (+shipping and tax = $55), but two of the files have a "printability unavailable" warning so not 100% clear.

So I just started looking at the models and I just got some new filament today. I ended up just tearing out the old speaker and breaking the rear supports with pliers. I then cut the wires in the back. I cut off the mounting tabs that extend out on the kappa speakers so that they sit down in the pocket of the original mount. I soldered speaker wires to the old mount so that it plugged into the original connector. It was all pretty easy to do with a dremel and soldering iron.

I was second guessing myself upgrading only the fronts so I went ahead and upgraded the rear speakers with the same Infinity model. I have been driving around with these for about two months and the conclusion is sadly they don't make it sound any better. The problem is they now emphasize too much of the upper frequencies making it sound harsh. It also moves vocals too far back which is not what I want. I would prefer vocals to sound like they are in front of where I am sitting. I have been playing around with the equalizer and fader but just can't get it dialed in to where I like it. A subwoofer might balance the sound out but for now they are going to come out.

Given that I would like to see if there is anyone who would like to purchase the pair. These are the Infinity Kappa 62.11i with custom 3d printed mounts. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
I was second guessing myself upgrading only the fronts so I went ahead and upgraded the rear speakers with the same Infinity model. I have been driving around with these for about two months and the conclusion is sadly they don't make it sound any better. The problem is they now emphasize too much of the upper frequencies making it sound harsh. It also moves vocals too far back which is not what I want. I would prefer vocals to sound like they are in front of where I am sitting. I have been playing around with the equalizer and fader but just can't get it dialed in to where I like it. A subwoofer might balance the sound out but for now they are going to come out.

Given that I would like to see if there is anyone who would like to purchase the pair. These are the Infinity Kappa 62.11i with custom 3d printed mounts. PM me if interested.

PM sent

So, are you suggesting we should only upgrade the fronts?

That is exactly what I am saying. I just could not get the balance and EQ to a happy place with the rear Infinity’s installed. I had already added two tweaters to the mix with the front Infinity’s and adding another pair just made high frequencies over bearing. It needed more base in the back but unfortunately you can’t EQ just the back.