Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spec check?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a site to check the spec of a second hand car from its VIN? Mine says it has the winter pack (important to me) but doesnt seem to have heated steering wheel. With the num ber of custom builds it would be useful to see how the car was built!

If I recall correctly, it wasn't always included in Subzero/Winter. So, you'd have to check with Tesla to see if it was included and it's broken or not included at all. Someone may be able to tell you based on data of manufacture when that was included as part of the option.

Very little info is encoded in the VIN, certainly not Cold Weather package.

Like @boaterva said, the heated steering wheel wasn't included in early versions of the Cold weather package. VIN order or date of manufacture isn't reliable enough to tell either. When they first started with the heated steering wheel, they delivered the first cars to more northern/cold weather areas first.

If you call a Tesla Service center with the VIN, they might be able to tell you from the option code list, but they usually don't release that information to non-owners, but some people have done it.

If you have physical access to the car, just bring up the "cold weather" option on the main screen, and see if there's an icon to turn on the heated steering wheel.

this is the risks that are associated when you try to buy a tesla from a typical car dealership. they usually have no clue about the car and will say just about anything to make a sale.
if it were me I'd only buy a tesla from tesla or a private party.

Reactions: boaterva
this is the risks that are associated when you try to buy a tesla from a typical car dealership. they usually have no clue about the car and will say just about anything to make a sale.
if it were me I'd only buy a tesla from tesla or a private party.
I hate to say, I'm not even sure I'd purchase from a private party.. I'd want the CPO warranty!

I hate to say, I'm not even sure I'd purchase from a private party.. I'd want the CPO warranty!
You just need to adjust your price accordingly. Personally I'd value the CPO warranty at around $4k. If a private party or a dealer offers it for at least $4k less than what Tesla would for a CPO I'd have no problem buying from them.

Obviously I'd make certain I knew what I was getting feature wise though.