TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Spec check?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by nowtleft, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

Is there a site to check the spec of a second hand car from its VIN? Mine says it has the winter pack (important to me) but doesnt seem to have heated steering wheel. With the num ber of custom builds it would be useful to see how the car was built!

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

If I recall correctly, it wasn't always included in Subzero/Winter. So, you'd have to check with Tesla to see if it was included and it's broken or not included at all. Someone may be able to tell you based on data of manufacture when that was included as part of the option.

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Very little info is encoded in the VIN, certainly not Cold Weather package.

Like @boaterva said, the heated steering wheel wasn't included in early versions of the Cold weather package. VIN order or date of manufacture isn't reliable enough to tell either. When they first started with the heated steering wheel, they delivered the first cars to more northern/cold weather areas first.

If you call a Tesla Service center with the VIN, they might be able to tell you from the option code list, but they usually don't release that information to non-owners, but some people have done it.

If you have physical access to the car, just bring up the "cold weather" option on the main screen, and see if there's an icon to turn on the heated steering wheel.

4. kort677

kort677 Banned

this is the risks that are associated when you try to buy a tesla from a typical car dealership. they usually have no clue about the car and will say just about anything to make a sale.
    if it were me I'd only buy a tesla from tesla or a private party.

• Like x 1
  5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I hate to say, I'm not even sure I'd purchase from a private party.. I'd want the CPO warranty!

6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

You just need to adjust your price accordingly. Personally I'd value the CPO warranty at around $4k. If a private party or a dealer offers it for at least $4k less than what Tesla would for a CPO I'd have no problem buying from them.

Obviously I'd make certain I knew what I was getting feature wise though.