TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Special spot in glove compartment -- for J1772 adapter?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by michaelwm, Oct 24, 2012.

1. michaelwm

michaelwm Member

I was super-annoyed this week with the lack of storage in the Model S for one very specific item: the J1772 adapter. I wanted it somewhere in the front seat, so that I could easily grab it. And of course, due to all the minimalism in the cabin, there was no place to put it but the glove box... where it rolled around every time I took a sharp corner.

Except that at some point it stopped rolling around. It turns out that in the left rear corner of the glove compartment, there's a tiny space that seems perfectly suited for holding the J1772 adapter. It's not exactly "precisely" contoured to the adapter, but it seems like a very good fit, and the adapter certainly fits in there tight enough to stay put. I can't think of what else this little void would be for.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Is this something you're going to use on a daily basis or multiple times a day? I don't have the 3rd row seats so have that huge area below the floor of the trunk and just keep it there so it's out of the way.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

So does the right side hold an umbrella? It's really deep!

4. michaelwm

michaelwm Member

I was wondering what else would go there since it's so deep... I hadn't thought of an umbrella! But I think an umbrella might still fit better sideways.

As far as how often I'll use it -- I'll be using it several times a week, depending where I'm parking during the day. And it just seemed silly (to me) to have to open up the liftgate (AND then pile around in the bug area under the floor or the small spot on the left back there) every time I wanted it.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

There will be various storage options in the center console area from Tesla and others soon so that should take care of the problem.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

This umbrella pops out of the door jamb on my other car.

0412_Rollsandbentley_17z+Rolls_Royce_Phantom_VI+Door_Jamb_Umbrella_Holder.jpg

7. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

But where do you store the Grey Poupon?

:biggrin:

8. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Look how wide that door is. :tongue:

9. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I use the cupholder... it's almost perfect. (Quickly ducks. But I really do!)

10. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

Although I have not looked at the "slots" in the glove compartment yet, I suspect that at least one of them is an AC/heat vent.

11. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

I just keep the adapter in the bag in the cubby on the left side of the trunk with the mobile charging cable.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Left, rear slot in the glove compartment is a perfect fit. Keeping it in the trunk is a pain, because I don't need to get the UMC out when I'm using the J1772.

13. BossHoss Jay

BossHoss Jay New Member

Surprise space in the glove box

If you haven't noticed on the far left side of the glove box there's space to put a compact umbrella

14. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Or stash the J-1772 adapter, it fits nicely in that space to the lower left.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Warning: It fits great and stays put most of the time, but if you corner crisply it will rock out of that position easily.

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Mine fits perfectly, so well it's a bit tricky to remove/

17. billarnett

billarnett Member

I can't find any such spot in my new P85D. Did the design of the glove box change?

18. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

No, it's there at least on my P85D it is

19. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Rolls Royce has it right, the adapter should be stashed in the door jamb or on the driver's seat itself. So you can access it standing up, with the charge nozzle in your right hand. If I have to drill a 2.5in dia core-sample out of the upholstery I will! :eek:
    --

20. Puslinch

Puslinch Member

I saw a Land Rover Defender recently with the umbrella in the door mod, nice touch old chap. Gary