Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Specialized License Plate in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After checking for ideas for custom EV related license plates from this forum, what is banned by the CA DMV, and seeing what's available through the DMV's website, I submitted a request and paid for a custom license plate. It says 8-12 weeks for pickup at my local DMV office.

I'm wondering if anyone else got through this stage and whether the DMV still rejected the custom plate before finalizing it to be ready for pickup. My plate is a little tongue and cheek, but it did go through the portal as available. It wasn't on the list of clearly banned plates either.

I ordered mine on 5/16 (online dmv.ca.gov). I finally got the notice on Friday, 8/12, that they were ready for pickup. The real kicker is that the earliest DMV appointment for the specified DMV branch is 9/7. Almost 4 months at that point... Or I could take 3-4 hours off from work and wait in line...

I ordered mine on 5/16 (online dmv.ca.gov). I finally got the notice on Friday, 8/12, that they were ready for pickup. The real kicker is that the earliest DMV appointment for the specified DMV branch is 9/7. Almost 4 months at that point... Or I could take 3-4 hours off from work and wait in line...

Seriously, WTF!? I knew the DMV was a mess, but that long? I haven't been to the DMV in years, as I do everything online, so I guess I forgot. I'm assuming only I can go for the pickup. I thought I could maybe have my dad or someone else go for me. Sucks...

Seriously, WTF!? I knew the DMV was a mess, but that long? I haven't been to the DMV in years, as I do everything online, so I guess I forgot. I'm assuming only I can go for the pickup. I thought I could maybe have my dad or someone else go for me. Sucks...
You can check different DMV offices in your area and find one with the earliest appointment time, if you're willing to drive a few extra miles. That's what I usually did - the 'first available appointment for the local DMV is weeks out beyond the ones available at one about 10 miles further.

I say 'usually did' because I've moved to the Columbia River Gorge. The local DMV not only had no line, they had a plate of cookies out.

• Informative
Reactions: ssrajputev
Yes, they can refuse your plate even if the site let it pass through. You will receive a letter if that is the case.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I wonder how long it'll take the DMV to even notify me of a rejection. A month? The website says no refunds can be made. That means I'd have to pick another personalized plate and go through the process again, or forfeit the $48 I paid.

This sucks. Let's just say I picked "EFF something," and it went through. I tried the same "EFF" with two other ending words, both which came up with an unavailable error. I tried to check clearly banned words, like profanities. Those came up as unavailable as well, not a special message, like it's banned or something.

I actually just got my car, so I thought I'd stay with no license plates until my personalized ones come, as well as my HOV stickers. We have a Spark EV in our house we got in June and I still haven't put the license plates on those either. LOL.

You can check different DMV offices in your area and find one with the earliest appointment time, if you're willing to drive a few extra miles. That's what I usually did - the 'first available appointment for the local DMV is weeks out beyond the ones available at one about 10 miles further.

I say 'usually did' because I've moved to the Columbia River Gorge. The local DMV not only had no line, they had a plate of cookies out.

I know that usually works, which I've done in the past. But, the online request page asked for me to pick a specific DMV office for pickup. I don't think I can change it now.

Reactions: bonnie
Just picked up my custom plate today in Truckee. I had an appointment two weeks out but opted to just get in line. I had to wait about 1.5 hours.
Interesting that if you Google "dmv truckee" (or, presumably any other office) it gives you a nice graph of wait times for each day of the week to help you pick a good time to show up at the office.

Reactions: SD Diver
Yeah, that's what I thought. I wonder how long it'll take the DMV to even notify me of a rejection. A month? The website says no refunds can be made. That means I'd have to pick another personalized plate and go through the process again, or forfeit the $48 I paid.

I ordered 2 sets of personal plates on 4/11. Received a rejection letter for one on 5/17, followed by a refund. I spoke to appeals office, who encouraged me to write an appeal letter which I mailed on 5/20. Another rejection letter arrived early June. The second set has been silent so i am assuming a pass, and expecting a notification to pick up anyday now.

Apply for your HOV stickers as soon as you take delivery. No need to wait for plates, just leave plate section blank and fill in VIN. Despite not yet having plates, Tesla has processed a registration with DMV and when your VIN is entered by DMV, a plate number pops up the system and they process the sticker request. Another few weeks later, the plates that you don't want show up. I've left them off, while waiting for my personal plates.

Reactions: ssrajputev
Can you imagine how long a private company would stay in business if they operated this way? Another example of why the vast majority of things are better left to private/free enterprise.

Yeah, don't even get me started about the toll system here in the Bay. It should all be automated how it is in other countries. I have many relatives in Australia and visited many times. There are no humans working the toll booth there. It's automatically scanned through a toll tag reader or you enter or throw your cash in the slot.

Also, there are speed camera/sensors at certain points on the freeway over there, instead of having cops sit in their cars or on their bikes waiting to catch people and give a speeding ticket.

It's all very inefficient.

I ordered 2 sets of personal plates on 4/11. Received a rejection letter for one on 5/17, followed by a refund. I spoke to appeals office, who encouraged me to write an appeal letter which I mailed on 5/20. Another rejection letter arrived early June. The second set has been silent so i am assuming a pass, and expecting a notification to pick up anyday now.

Apply for your HOV stickers as soon as you take delivery. No need to wait for plates, just leave plate section blank and fill in VIN. Despite not yet having plates, Tesla has processed a registration with DMV and when your VIN is entered by DMV, a plate number pops up the system and they process the sticker request. Another few weeks later, the plates that you don't want show up. I've left them off, while waiting for my personal plates.

I'm definitely going to apply for a second plate now as a backup. What else is new...it took the DMV a month to even reject you. That is too much effort, so if that happens, I'd just pick my second choice.

Yeah, I just sent the application for the stickers this morning. My car was delivered on Friday. I was told Tesla's DMV team would send in the transfer of vessel and registration documents on Monday.

Yep, that's true. I still didn't put on the plates on the Spark EV I got for my parents in June. I'll wait as well until this personalized plate matter is settled.