Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Specialty EV License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving a Tesla 4 years in Massachusetts with a beautiful EV specialty plate, I’m stunned to discover Florida has 99 specialty plates, but nothing supporting EVs. EV drivers have an excellent public service message to share: Zero Emissions - Clean Air. Our icon should show a cute green vehicle outline with a charging plug. All numbers should start with EV followed by a 4 or 5 digit number. When numbers are exhausted, letters extend the range. Has anyone requested approval of an EV license plate. If yes, what is the roadblock?
12CE8E15-B1F6-41ED-9C37-BF762B59FCB7.jpeg

From what I understand - to get a new specialty plate - it has to have a presale of at least 10K plates before going before the authorization board.
I'm a free Mason and we got a Masonic plate a couple years back but it took a while to get enough "presales" before it went through.

Process for getting specialty plates is found here:

It looks like you have to pre-sell 3,000 plates within 24 months and be able to maintain that many on a rolling 12 month average to keep the plate current.

Reactions: UltradoomY
Process for getting specialty plates is found here:

It looks like you have to pre-sell 3,000 plates within 24 months and be able to maintain that many on a rolling 12 month average to keep the plate current.
I will contact Larry Chanin today to get the ball rolling. As you may know he spearheaded legislation protecting EV owners who want to charge at HOAs & condos. I‘m pleased to sketch a design and submit for comments. Let’s recommend inclusion to the state’s Environmental category that protects everything except the air we breathe. Paying only $15 extra for an EV plate should not discourage any enthusiast.

I will contact Larry Chanin today to get the ball rolling. As you may know he spearheaded legislation protecting EV owners who want to charge at HOAs & condos. I‘m pleased to sketch a design and submit for comments. Let’s recommend inclusion to the state’s Environmental category that protects everything except the air we breathe. Paying only $15 extra for an EV plate should not discourage any enthusiast.
As a member of Florida Tesla Enthusiast Club, I posted a notice requesting interest. The procedure for obtaining a new plate is not easy, but 100 FL specialty plate have been authorized, so it there's ample precedent. Major steps for authorization include getting a state representative or senator to sponsor a bill for new plate creation and bill must pass with governor's signature. After bill signing, we need 3000 EV owners to pre-order the plate within a 24 month period. During this period, a design is submitted. When that 3000 registration goal is achieved, the new plate can be produced. I'm pleased to champion the project if EV owners want it.

with the new EVs coming onto the scene it would be wise to make it an EV plate rather than a tesla plate.
you expand the pool of potential people who would be interested in an EV plate, I no longer own a tesla, I would have zero interest in a tesla plate

with the new EVs coming onto the scene it would be wise to make it an EV plate rather than a tesla plate.
you expand the pool of potential people who would be interested in an EV plate, I no longer own a tesla, I would have zero interest in a tesla plate
Absolutely correct. This plate is for all EVs including Mach e, F150, Hummer, Taycan, iD4, Kia, EQS, Polstar, Bolt, Tesla, etc. The DMV may allow PHEVs to buy this plate too. Our challenge is to get the word out that EV owners can pre-order the new plate.

So when will the Florida Tesla Enthusiasts group start the ball rolling? I'm in!
As a member of Florida Tesla Enthusiast Club, I posted a notice requesting interest. The procedure for obtaining a new plate is not easy, but 100 FL specialty plate have been authorized, so it there's ample precedent. Major steps for authorization include getting a state representative or senator to sponsor a bill for new plate creation and bill must pass with governor's signature. After bill signing, we need 3000 EV owners to pre-order the plate within a 24 month period. During this period, a design is submitted. When that 3000 registration goal is achieved, the new plate can be produced. I'm pleased to champion the project if EV owners want it.
John & Rob,

This is a suggestion that I put to the leadership of the Drive Electric Florida (DEFL) coalition of which our club is a voting member. The Executive Director of DEFL is a registered lobbyist and would know the right legislators.

Drive Electric Florida promotes all electric vehicles and it is the most influential EV stakeholder group in Florida. It would be the appropriate organization to eventually get this done. There is LOT going on lately, especially regarding potential federal legislation funding EV infrastructure, so the Executive Director has a number of other more pressing priorities on his plate, but I'll see if I can remind him.

I would expect that if DEFL took this on that they wouldn't need help in designing a plate their logo would be quite suitable. (By the way, the cute green vehicle outline with a charging plug would undoubtedly get you into trademark infringement issues.)

1625269213618.png

Larry

I'm in.

Most specialty tags have a message on them. "Save our seas" for example.

vet-nut.jpg

(sorry, I also own a Corvette)

Crude example:

vet_nut_ev.jpg

Maybe include Larry's idea:

vet_nut_ev_2.jpg

Perhaps a green border also:

vet_nut_ev_3.jpg

Saw this one in another thread - I like it.

1627433224871.png

Or "United We Stand" so I suggest to open the opportunity for all electric cars to get in on the action,
to be able to reach the 3k goal, my thought would be "ELECTRIC VEHICLE", not specifying any particular brand.
I don't think this would be possible without making a "generic" tag.
How do you plan to get the signatures? Do you know if they must be hand-written on a pad of paper,
or can it be just a list of names with deposits for the tag?
How do you plan to get the word out that this is being proposed?

Last edited:
How do you plan to get the signatures? Do you know if they must be hand-written on a pad of paper,
This endeavor requires a mature and respected organization with legislative clout.
First, you need to persuade a legislator to sponsor a bill authorizing a specialty tag.
Then you need the Florida legislature to approve it and the governor to sign it into law.
Starting on the effective date of the bill, the organization promoting the specialty tag has 24 months to sell 3,000 vouchers. It's not like merely signing a petition, the organization has to have the means of billing prospective license holders. If they fail in selling 3,000 vouchers, the organization has to have the means of refunding the money collected.
Only after 3,000 vouchers are sold will the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles begin to manufacture the specialty plates.

If we got to the point where a bill was signed into law, our club has several hundred members and we have a few thousand followers on our social media outlets. We would alert the online community of this opportunity and contact other organizations, such as Plug In America to assist. In addition, there are other member organizations of Drive Electric Florida, such as the Sierra Club, the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy, etc., that would likewise alert their members and the driving public.

I have sent a request to the Executive Director of Drive Electric Florida to pursue this suggestion and recommended that they approach Senator Brandes, a big advocate for EVs, to sponsor a bill, but have not heard back yet.

Larry

I'm in.

Most specialty tags have a message on them. "Save our seas" for example.

View attachment 688936
(sorry, I also own a Corvette)

Crude example:

View attachment 688944

Maybe include Larry's idea:

View attachment 688946

Perhaps a green border also:

View attachment 688947

Saw this one in another thread - I like it.

View attachment 688948

Or "United We Stand" so I suggest to open the opportunity for all electric cars to get in on the action,
to be able to reach the 3k goal, my thought would be "ELECTRIC VEHICLE", not specifying any particular brand.
I don't think this would be possible without making a "generic" tag.
I suggest our message on the specialty license plate is: Zero Emissions - Clean Air