Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Specific features delivery delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed in the design studio they have some things that will delay production

Gray interior- November 2012
60 kwhr battery- November 2012
40 kwhr battery- December 2012
Standard suspension- Jan 2013

Is this changing anyone's decision?

Personally I was kind of disappointed, due to the gray interior wait, but it's OK, I can still deal with Q4 for mine. They may have any of the bugs worked out by then

Yup. I'm sticking with Standard suspension (unless we get rave reports about Air Suspension from the really early adopters although they wouldn't have anything to compare against) so, worst case, looking like Jan 2013 for me :(

If the EPA 5-cycle numbers look as good (say, 200 miles vs 230 at 55 mph) for the 60 kWh pack as did 265 vs 300 for the 85 pack, I'll stick with 60 kWh so, November atleast (with air suspension) and that'd work for the Gray interior as well which is my current choice with Blue exterior (unless Black interior with Green exterior wins out in the end).

Yup. I'm sticking with Standard suspension (unless we get rave reports about Air Suspension from the really early adopters although they wouldn't have anything to compare against) so, worst case, looking like Jan 2013 for me :(

If the EPA 5-cycle numbers look as good (say, 200 miles vs 230 at 55 mph) for the 60 kWh pack as did 265 vs 300 for the 85 pack, I'll stick with 60 kWh so, November atleast (with air suspension) and that'd work for the Gray interior as well which is my current choice with Blue exterior (unless Black interior with Green exterior wins out in the end).

I'm in the same boat...waiting for reviews and EPA #'s as well as supercharger access cost with 60kWh. I'm trying to keep my purchase under $80K assuming the stock doesn't go back up.

We knew they were doing the 85kWh cars first, but the suspension is new information. And gray interior. We're getting the air suspension anyway but still undecided about pack size. Does anyone know when they will release the EPA #'s and supercharger cost?

Agree with hcsharp -- I think we all knew that 85kWh were going to be first. I think what concerns me is that there are now delays in deliver because of options, which suggests that they overestimated their capacity to produce or that somethings are not up to par. And, what is the likelihood of them stating that the addition of the tech package would delay delivery? Or the sunroof?

It at least raises an eyebrow for me.

On the other hand, given my reservation number, it will be a year anyway before I get mine. For the bold (lucky?) few who jumped on board early, I can see why some would be disappointed.

Agree with hcsharp -- I think we all knew that 85kWh were going to be first. I think what concerns me is that there are now delays in deliver because of options, which suggests that they overestimated their capacity to produce or that somethings are not up to par. And, what is the likelihood of them stating that the addition of the tech package would delay delivery? Or the sunroof?

It at least raises an eyebrow for me.

On the other hand, given my reservation number, it will be a year anyway before I get mine. For the bold (lucky?) few who jumped on board early, I can see why some would be disappointed.

I wouldn't read that far into it. They are probably having supply problems. Where they didn't order their parts soon enough. Or were possibly waiting as long as possible to order a large set of parts.

I'd like to mention also that it's not uncommon for features and options to be unavailable in the first MY.

+1

And, frankly, a delay of a couple of months is really nothing to get worked up about. I know that some folks have been waiting for this car for a LONG time (some have been waiting for a car like this for decades) but Tesla's making it and a couple of months really won't matter in the grand scheme of things.

From a stockholder perspective the important thing is that they deliver trouble-free cars on June 22. It doesn't really matter that the number of cars is small at first.

It would suck, though, to have a low P# only to find out the Model S you were planning on/could afford won't be available until after people with much higher numbers have already gotten one.

We knew they were doing the 85kWh cars first, but the suspension is new information.

I had heard about the air suspension some time back and I'm pretty sure it was posted about. When I do a search I keep getting too many results to nail down a specific link. Maybe it just slipped under the radar for some people. One of the key aspects is that Tesla is keeping configuration multiples to a minimum as they ramp up. I certainly hope it's perfect from day one but let's not forget they're going from zero to 5,000 cars in the next half-year and then to 20,000 next year; looked at like that it's reassuring that they try and keep the number of different combinations down.

And, frankly, a delay of a couple of months is really nothing to get worked up about. I know that some folks have been waiting for this car for a LONG time (some have been waiting for a car like this for decades) but Tesla's making it and a couple of months really won't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Well put. Fair enough. The wait has been rather painful though (since Feb 2010 for me) and particularly so, as we are currently making do with one car in the family and it hasn't been fun :)

I hope so, and I agree that what rolls off the floors in the first few months is going to set the tone for the future of Tesla. I appreciate that.

My first choice is grey, however being it is going into production so late in the year there is the risk that delivery of the vehicle won't occur until 2013. What does change in the grand scheme of things is the delay's effect on the tax credit. I am setting up my tax liability to favorably reflect the 2012 Tax Year. So at the least I might have to do the exercise all over again in 2013 and a 2013 delivery would mean waiting an entire year for the tax credit vs just a few months. Let's hope they move the production of the grey leather up!

My first choice is grey, however being it is going into production so late in the year there is the risk that delivery of the vehicle won't occur until 2013. What does change in the grand scheme of things is the delay's effect on the tax credit. I am setting up my tax liability to favorably reflect the 2012 Tax Year. So at the least I might have to do the exercise all over again in 2013 and a 2013 delivery would mean waiting an entire year for the tax credit vs just a few months. Let's hope they move the production of the grey leather up!

Good point, Tommy. Had forgotten about the timing vis-a-vis the tax credit. Getting the car in November/December and the credit by say, February (if I can push myself to getting the tax return in as soon as all the forms arrive) would be perfect! Can pay down some of the principal on the car loan at the earliest thus reducing interest in the long run.

Air Suspension and November (for 60 kWh and Gray), it is then.

Good point, Tommy. Had forgotten about the timing vis-a-vis the tax credit. Getting the car in November/December and the credit by say, February (if I can push myself to getting the tax return in as soon as all the forms arrive) would be perfect! Can pay down some of the principal on the car loan at the earliest thus reducing interest in the long run.

I am in the very high 1600's so should be getting my car just a few weeks at the most after you.

At the last earnings report Elon mentioned that the first cars would need to be heavily optioned, so no surprise to me on the suspension. Kinda glad they stopped there...
The grey leather is sort of a surprise though. At P4510 I don't know that it will effect me but I worry about not getting the car this year. A shift in the political winds this November could make the federal tax credit disappear.

If you have any W2 income, you can get your tax credit as quickly as you can get enough paychecks without tax withholding.