TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Specs change: 07/11

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Jeroens, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Jeroens

Jeroens Member

2 minor Changes. Curious why the 500 songs flash was removed, if it was by mistake, is upped or removed as a whole...

Added: 85 kWh battery has an 8 year, unlimited milewarranty
    Removed: :Flashmemory storage for up to 500 songs.

2. phat78boy

phat78boy Member

That is interesting. Unlimited mile warranty was one of the deciding factors for me to move to the performance model. Well, lets be honest....I was getting the performance model, I just had to convince my wife why.

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

The 85 had the 8/unlimited guarantee all along I believe.

4. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Well, they've never supported storing any songs. Either they've given up on the idea, or at least decided to update the page to reflect current reality.

5. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

A member on TM that attended one of the coffee and doughnuts deals passed along that they dropped internal song storage as USB works just as good. I believe they are using the space to cache Google Maps (a real plus in my mind).

6. HHHH

HHHH Member

That's great news!

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

They should ship us all USB flash drives then.

8. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

ybd,
    PM me your address and I'll send you one. Can not have you going around feeling unloved.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Agree, or at least communicate it. A year after launch and we're still missing things and having things nixed.

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

lol no worries, I have too much storage space already ( <--- software dude ). just sayin it to make a point

... now if only I could get the Tesla to play out from my multi-terabyte movie server.....( i mean it's really just a linux PC AFAIK in the Model S so one day I'll dig around a bit and see what I can do ;)

11. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I would love to be able to stream netflix! Or any video what so ever. Weather it be from USB or YouTube or Netflix. I see no reason we cannot have video on this car. Even my POS Nissan Cube can play DVD's.
    At least let us have video when not in motion (park). Would make waiting for a charge sooo much better. Especially to keep kids quiet.

12. ddruz

ddruz Member

Stream video? My gosh, a lot of folks, yours truly included, would be happy if the web browser worked with a degree of reliability and speed on static web pages.

13. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Wow, mine works great. Only time I have a problem is on pages with LOTS of high resolution images.

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I've found that keeping the browser half-height seems to speed up rendering

15. phat78boy

phat78boy Member

Any Plex users on this board? If that worked...I'd be set!

16. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

If the space has indeed been re-allocated to caching Google Maps, that's great news as most of my long trips involve travel through areas with no cell service (thus, no Google Maps).

However, I also agree that Tesla needs to find a way to communicate these changes without us needing to dig through an internet forum to find them.

17. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

#17 Volker.Berlin, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    Not so happy. First they nix the originally advertised (optional) USB ports for the rear seats. Now they tell me, we don't need no storage b/c we've got plenty USB ports! Huh?! If you expect me to permanently block one USB port for music, then give me more of those!

Caching Google Maps is great, but it's no excuse. They have to have enough storage to do both. It's not like storage is any factor in terms of weight, size or cost. The real cost is in the software that supports that storage, and obviously they don't make the progress they want or need in that department. The Google Maps cache was advertised all along, it's not like a new idea that popped up over night and since they didn't plan for it they now have unexpected storage requirements... Not.

It's certainly a good thing to have the website reflect what customers actually get. There's no debate about that, but they should not give up on the idea of internal storage for music altogether.

18. HHHH

HHHH Member

Wouldn't applying a USB splitter eliminate the issue?

19. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Maybe if you had a powered one. My understanding is that the unpowered ones often drop signals.

20. uselesslogin

uselesslogin Enthusiast

All,

What do you use the USB ports for besides plugging in a USB stick? I ask only because my car has zero ports and I would think you would only need one port for a memory stick. Are there other uses?