Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spectra Photosync install issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone else have any issues getting the photosync install done properly? I've got a decent amount of bubbling and lint on the back window specifically but I've noticed it on other windows as well. Shop told me to wait a couple of weeks to let it cure, but lint doesn't evaporate.

I'm in the STL area and there is only one 'authorized' shop here. I opted to wait there since I didn't have a ride back home to the IL side of the river. Installers took a good amount of time. I arrived at 5:40 PM ended up leaving at 8:50 PM. They had to redo the front windshield while I was there. I've had tint done on many other cars but I've never had this many bubbles or debris.

Did I just get stuck with some newbie installers? Any other installers that aren't listed for whatever reason in the STL region?

Did anyone else have any issues getting the photosync install done properly? I've got a decent amount of bubbling and lint on the back window specifically but I've noticed it on other windows as well. Shop told me to wait a couple of weeks to let it cure, but lint doesn't evaporate.

I'm in the STL area and there is only one 'authorized' shop here. I opted to wait there since I didn't have a ride back home to the IL side of the river. Installers took a good amount of time. I arrived at 5:40 PM ended up leaving at 8:50 PM. They had to redo the front windshield while I was there. I've had tint done on many other cars but I've never had this many bubbles or debris.

Did I just get stuck with some newbie installers? Any other installers that aren't listed for whatever reason in the STL region?

Im not sure if photosync company even allows newbs to be dealers. I would wait a bit and see if the bubbles disappear.

Thanks for the response. They did redo the install a week later (June) or maybe they kept my car for a day and made me waste my time.

We are approaching full swing fall in the area now so I let it sit through the parking lot throughout summer hoping it would cure up properly. I did an initial rinse of the car yesterday for the first time myself and noticed particles like last time also the windshield is bubbling at the bottom so, the place that does the installs is unfortunately using inexperienced installers.

I understand dust gets in one or two specks are fine but each window with multiple specks of dust not really excusable at this price point.

The heat rejection is great on the film but this shop doesn't do it justice. Spectra is definitely not worth the price this place charges quite honestly. Lesson learned.

I've been recommending people go with 3M Crystalline or another type of tint at another authorized location for the STL area.

Had reputable dealer in San Diego install PhotoSync on my MS and it was done perfectly the first time with no bubbles and perfect clarity. Only did side windows and rear window though. Sounds like you had a bad installer.

We had PhotoSync installed on all of the windows plus the windshield on our MS by a dealer in Fremont. Absolutely no issues and it's definitely paid for itself in comfort while driving in our 100° days.

Seems like the better installers are out on the west coast. This is crazy I’ve had many vehicles tinted. Crazy to see this shop works on Porsches, Lambos etc. cannot do a Model S window tint job properly. :confused:
Road trip?? You could get away from that "winter thing" that you guys will be dealing with soon plus tour the factory while you're here. :)

Yeah, it does seem weird that they have been unable to properly install PhotoSync on your MS. I can understand possibly having issues with the windshield curves on a MS or MX but the side glass seems pretty straight forward to me. Note, I've never installed tint and could quite possibly be talking out of my "behind".

I have PhotoSync on all windows of my MS. Tesla service referred the shop I went to here in Portland, OR and I've never had any issues whatsoever. The cost was a bit more, but well worth it in my opinion. As was said above, this is much more likely an installer issue vs product issue.

Did anyone get their windshield done and see "waviness" (similar to how heat radiating off the ground on a hot day looks like)?
We had the windshield done on our MS and haven't noticed any issues at all. Our installer said that we might notice some minor distortion (especially with oncoming headlights) for the first 24 hours, until the film fully bonded. Neither my wife nor I noticed any distortion that night and I'm sure that the 90° days following helped the curing process.

We had the windshield done on our MS and haven't noticed any issues at all. Our installer said that we might notice some minor distortion (especially with oncoming headlights) for the first 24 hours, until the film fully bonded. Neither my wife nor I noticed any distortion that night and I'm sure that the 90° days following helped the curing process.

Yeah it got better with the hot day that followed. It does kind of suck that the dash on the S has a grill that causes a line in the reflection of the tint.