Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spectra Photosync Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ReevesTint

Are you saying you don't like 3M Crystalline? May I ask why specifically? It seems to get rave reviews from many people.

And yes, I have Photosync 35% on my front sides on my X, and it's fine at night! HO also 35% all the way around, also fine at night!

It has a mirrored look from the outside and when working with the film that ghosting effect look would drive me crazy! (looks like a distortion spot from the inside ) Then when I would clean the inside of my windshield I seemed to get a new scratch every time! I wouldn't say its a bad film and if you find a shop that has used it a lot and is pickier then you are about the final product it can be a great film. 3M as a whole is not my favorite company. They have their hands in a lot of different arenas and I feel you lose quality when that happens. Where prestige makes 2 films CeraLuxe and Photosync. So they are going to focus on those products and put more money into them.

It has a mirrored look from the outside and when working with the film that ghosting effect look would drive me crazy! (looks like a distortion spot from the inside ) Then when I would clean the inside of my windshield I seemed to get a new scratch every time! I wouldn't say its a bad film and if you find a shop that has used it a lot and is pickier then you are about the final product it can be a great film. 3M as a whole is not my favorite company. They have their hands in a lot of different arenas and I feel you lose quality when that happens. Where prestige makes 2 films CeraLuxe and Photosync. So they are going to focus on those products and put more money into them.

I always tell people to go with what they are comfortable with! Find the right price with the right performance for you and you will have the best product for your vehicle!

Go with the 65%. Has been my favorite piece of film I have had on a windshield. dark enough to wear you get lots of glare cut but light enough that its really not really that noticeable
Thank you for the input. I have Huper on my current car and am very much looking forward to upgrading to the Photosync when my model 3 comes in.

How is the 65% for nighttime driving? I know the Photosync reacts to daylight. Is it light enough to see easily at night? Also any halo style effects on streetlights?

Thanks again!

Thank you for the input. I have Huper on my current car and am very much looking forward to upgrading to the Photosync when my model 3 comes in.

How is the 65% for nighttime driving? I know the Photosync reacts to daylight. Is it light enough to see easily at night? Also any halo style effects on streetlights?

Thanks again!

That's my issue. I dont like dark tints with nighttime driving . Maybe my night vision is lacking. I found the 65 to work well at night. During the day it was a subtle tint until the light hit it and it would darken noticibly.

@Swampgator I agree with you. You can get great heat rejection with the lighter films especially if using something like Crystalline or Photosync. I had Crystalline on my Lexus CT200h for 7 years. It worked well at rejecting heat. The only thing I really didn't care for was the fact it had a bronzish color to it which could have been due to the factory tint under, not sure. I am going with Photosync next week for my model 3 and probably on all sides will go with either a 55 or 65. To me, its classier looking and preserves the great look of the car. When I see people putting 15 and 20 percent tints on their windows from the outside it looks just black. I'll post pics when I'm done after next week.

Reactions: MrABRanch
I am also interested in pictures for Photosync at 55/65 all around (and 75 on windshield). I want heat rejection but I do a fare amount of night-time driving and I do not want to reduce visibility.

Found this post with 45/55 pictures:
Spectra PhotoSync 45 on side windows and full rear glass + 75 on windshield

Spectra PhotoSync 55 on front two windows and 35 on rear doors / full rear glass + 75 on windshield

Last edited:
Reactions: MrABRanch
IMG_20181110_163726[1].jpg
IMG_20181110_164603[1].jpg
IMG_20181110_164615[1].jpg

Meant to post information for photos. This was done at Auto Super Shield in Boca Raton, Florida. I would highly recommend this company. Besides the excellent job, I saw two cars that were having some work redone from 3 years ago without charging the people. They don't just say they stand behind their work, they actually do. Spectra PhotoSync 35 all around. Windshield 65. Once I got there, I couldn't help myself and had them do the chrome delete. Gives it a much more sportier look.

Reactions: DesertLurker
@Swampgator I agree with you. You can get great heat rejection with the lighter films especially if using something like Crystalline or Photosync. I had Crystalline on my Lexus CT200h for 7 years. It worked well at rejecting heat. The only thing I really didn't care for was the fact it had a bronzish color to it which could have been due to the factory tint under, not sure. I am going with Photosync next week for my model 3 and probably on all sides will go with either a 55 or 65. To me, its classier looking and preserves the great look of the car. When I see people putting 15 and 20 percent tints on their windows from the outside it looks just black. I'll post pics when I'm done after next week.
Did you get this done, any chance you could post some pictures? agree it's much classier and more subtle, I can't find much reference for the lighter window tints, I'm looking at 45 or 55 sides and 75 back

Wouldn't a car sitting in a parking lot for 4 hours be the same temperature with or without tint? Seems like while the high TSER would delay how long it takes to hit peak temperature, inevitably, both cars would eventually hit the same temp inside....

I just had my M3 done in Xpel Prime XR Plus. Yes, eventually any car would heat up if parked in a hot sunny parking lot. However, the car will cool down much faster when the AC is turned on and the AC has to work less hard to keep the car cool. So over time, this results in less wear and tear on the AC system. It's the same kind of effect of really good insulation for a house. I also noticed less glare and less heat when my hand or arm is next to the window, even in direct sun.

BTW, I considered Photosync, because it does have a slightly higher TSER than the Xpel Prime Plus. However, I could not find a dealer/installer in my area. When I contacted the manufacturer, they told me to go to a shop that was at least 50 miles away from my home and said this was the closest installer. No thanks. I got my Xpel installed at an excellent tint shop about 5 miles away instead.