Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculate - next feature/improvement for AP2 after "silky smooth" and when?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay so "silky smooth" is in the wild (at least on a few cars). My prediction is the next update to be released is going to be a feature-set expansion but I have no idea what. As for when my guess is 10 weeks or less from now. Perhaps something to coincide with the actual release / final unveil of Model 3.

If I had to guess - I would say some kind of navigation-tied feature where the car will move on its own toward the off-ramp as your programmed exit comes up.

What's your guess?

I updated yesterday morning to Firmware 17.24.28 (2016 MS P90D, AP2, EAP, delivered on Dec 9, 2016). Was prepared to roll out this morning to work and there's a new update. Currently updating. More to follow.

Just completed the update I referenced above. Firmware now at 17.24.30. Release notes are unchanged from 17.24.28.

Attachments

• IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    542.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Informative
Reactions: croman
Well then Musk has done one hell of a sale job on a system which uses 2x the cameras, 4x the chip power and less functionality than the original.
Wow.
Yes he did! And some of us that bought into that marketing before christmas is called whiners or haters or...

But got the update as well, will try it in the afternoon. Had 17.24.28 before.

"When the mooooooon is in the Seventh House,
And Joooo-pit-errrrr aligns with Maaaaaarrrrrs...
Then peeeace will guide the Planets,
And LUUURVE,
Will steer my car!"

(I forgot to take my pills)

Mars will next transit across Jupiter at 12:39 UT on 2 Dec 2223 :D

• Funny
Reactions: calisnow
FYI, I was in Mountain View yesterday for dinner, and I saw an AP2 Model S and a Model X with manufacturer plates driving laps around my restaurant, seemingly going through the same stop sign intersection over and over again. Could not tell if they were collecting data or field testing something.

If I were to guess, I would say the next update adds either stop sign or traffic light recognition in a driver assist manner, such as stopping at red lights or stop signs and requiring driver intervention to start back up again. I think they've had data collection for long enough at this point that they could make progress towards this.

Traffic lights must be a tough cookie.

Not necessarily the red or the green, but the darn yellow...

Also, some intersections are saturated with traffic lights. Which one(s) is AP supposed to be looking for and reacting to? It'd have to not only react to lights, but also recognize and understand where the lights are placed and where they're facing

It's definitely tough, but I think it's easier once the problem is restricted to being a driver assist feature in nature. If you witness the light changes or can tell what cars beside you (or oncoming or cross traffic) are doing, it makes the problem a lot more constrained.

Nah, yellow = middle light = STOP for FSD. They will be very very cautious which will make the feature somewhat less useful as you've gotta worry about being rear ended by people that run late yellows (at least that's very common around the north shore and Chicago). I know if I have FSD and it stops at yellows that people behind me will get pissy (but I don't give a rat's behind about them, I'd rather be safe and alive than on time).

Perhaps part of switching to a different map provider is to get more detailed road metadata, like whether an intersection is lighted (and how many lanes go straight).

If that's the case, I haven't seen any actual improvements over Garmin but I hope that is true. Regardless, if and when they roll this out, everyone needs to be very cautious because mistakes will be very costly for everyone because regulators want to keep perceptions positive on FSD.