TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Speculate: what the heck happened to Chris Lattner?

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by calisnow, Jun 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Chris Lattner is out after 6 months? Speculate as to why?

2. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Judging by the length of time it required to get autopilot 2 to catch up with 1, I wouldn't be surprised.

3. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

Speculation: he said EAP was hopelessly behind and would need forever+ to equal AP1 let alone be Enhanced in any way.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

He was dehired.

• Funny x 3
  5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Judging from Tesla’s rather cold statement that “Chris just wasn’t right”, and from Chris soliciting for job opportunities from Twitter, it sounds like he was let go. For whatever reason. Not to mention Tesla seemed to have a replacement lined up.

This appears to be a Tesla-initiated decision rather than a Chris-initiated decision.

• Like x 3
  6. Shateam

Shateam Member

Purely a guess on my part: Cultural clash. He came from Apple. Apple is very deliberate and disciplined in its approach to releasing product features. A feature won't be released to the public until it is nearly 'perfected'. This is different than say Samsung for example, who arguably has more features available then Apple (i.e. wireless charging).

I think Tesla operates more like Samsung and will release a less than perfect product (autopilot) and iterate from there.

So I think there is truth to the statement that he wasn't a good fit.

• Like x 8
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

I have zero idea why they hired someone with no Vision/Machine learning experience. I love the credentials of the new guy. I assumed the Chris Lattner hire was more about managing a very large and complex team of developers and setting up process to streamline the software development cycle. He is clearly a very experienced and high level guy, but I guess working for Tesla is not for everyone. I would imagine its a bit of a crucible in there and everyone is under pressure to deliver. I like that they moved up quickly when the decided it wasnt working out.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  8. McRat

McRat Active Member

Chris should have been suspicious when his door name tag was a Post-It note.

• Funny x 10
    • Love x 1
  9. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

A high level guy who gets recruited probably was expecting to establish his own culture and set up his vision for his team. Sounds like he was expected to join the Tesla startup culture and was told what to do instead.
    Kudos for cutting the cord early
    Tough for a celebrated recruit to be let go so soon, but that's the world they're in

• Informative x 1
  10. whitex

whitex Active Member

I suspect Elon thought we wanted a proper software development cycle until reality hit - such a proper process slows things down quite a bit. It produces a more reliable software on a more predictable schedule, but that gets in a way of running as fast as you possibly can and releasing bleeding edge technology. Who needs requirements and QA when you have Elon and customers with OTA updates. ;)

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  11. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

The thing is that the tolerance for crappy tesla software by its customers is decreasing day by day. As the cars go mainstream, the expectation for software fidelity is going to be similar to what folks expect from Apple.

• Like x 10
    • Love x 1
  12. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Is it though? People have been saying this for years yet sales keep increasing as does the stock - those are real metrics whereas judgment about what people tolerate is anecdotal at best. As long as its capabilities exceed everything else available for purchase, my speculation is people will continue to tolerate less than perfect software.

• Like x 8
    • Love x 1
  13. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Could they even fire him that early? I got a friend that was recruited into Apple as an engineer who was given a minimum of 3 years guaranteed employee contract.

14. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Yes, it is. And some of the longer owners are seriously reevaluating our recommendations to people we know that wouldn't have the patience to put up with glaring bugs and lack of industry standard features....

15. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Except Apple hasn't exactly been hitting homers with their software fidelity over the last few years or so... :)

Jeff

16. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

You can terminate anyone, anytime. Contracts often have termination, change of control, etc. provisions in the language. Most pay out through the full term, and often the full term has a non-compete clause included.

Speculation @calisnow - Tesla is a disorganized sweat shop, with sloppy standards and processes.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

It's unlikely to negotiate a deal like that with a silicon valley employer, not to mention it's rarely what you want. Most of the compensation is in the form of restricted stock grants or options, and if you ever get put in a "vice president" -> "vesting president" position where your company has stopped awarding you bonuses and you're just waiting to cash out a few more rounds before jumping ship…. you might as well just go.

But yeah, I've seen people come and go in months of time. Usually they stick around for a year to go through one performance cycle, but that's not always the case when everyone knows it isn't going to work out.

• Like x 1
  18. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

One can argue there's been far far less cases of empty promises and announcement of arguably vaporware that is months behind schedule and still not near the originally promised levels.

Apple seems to only announce things once they are imminently ready for the public.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Can't argue that... Very fair reply...

Jeff

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  20. whitex

whitex Active Member

A lot more than from Apple. A hung phone does not have the same impact as hung FSD software. People are willing to accept an iPhone crash once a year, not so much a car crash.

• Like x 3