Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculate: what will be included in the next major revamp of the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not interested in the small iterative changes that occur continuously, but in major lineup changes like "the D," battery changes, and AP. When do you think this will happen?

Some ideas, maybe summer 2016:
+New nose, similar to the MX.
+Increase base battery to 75 kWh, for the same price as the current 70.
+Get rid of the 85 kWh option and lower the price of the 90kWh by $3k, simultaneously offering a new 95 or 100kWh option.
+Get rid of insane performance, making ludicrous the standard performance model for the current price of insane.
+AP 2.0 hardware with 360° cameras.

Anything else?

Continuous improvement in Quality, Reilibility, and Durability (such as 1,000,000 mile drive unit)
Tow package with hitch receiver
Eliminate side view mirrors
Steering wheel paddles for lift pedal regen torque: zero, low, med, high, very high (requires AWD for higher settings)
Software for "charge based on departure time" (not major, but I really wish Tesla would add this)
21" wheels with low rolling resistance long life tires

GSP

• Updated interior:
    • Ventilated seats
    • Adjustable seatbelt height
    • USB port for back seats
    • Center console will be standard
    • New options of textiles and trims
  • Updated exterior:
    • New nose cone design
    • LED headlamps
    • New exterior colors
  • New Autopilot hardware (2.0) with some features available immediately and some with software updates
  • 90D will be standard
  • New processor
  • 20" wheel option
  • Wiring for future retrofit of side mirror to cameras

Despite all of that, I won't postpone my January delivery.

Steering wheel paddles for lift pedal regen torque: zero, low, med, high, very high (requires AWD for higher settings)
Software for "charge based on departure time" (not major, but I really wish Tesla would add this)
GSP

These are 2 great ideas. +1 on these! And make autopilot convenience features standard.

I think they'll change the side view mirror to include a useful blind spot detection, such as:
PG-K900-eL-15.jpg

- AP 2.0 hardware, more cameras and sensors
- replace side mirrors with cameras
- ventilated/improved seats
- improved interior lighting
- hopefully somethign to fix the lack of ventilation to 3rd row seats
- improved software
- Increased battery sizes (this is basically a given, I think)

Lots of good ideas here! I believe the new front design from the X will make it into the S for sure.
As many other said, the 90 and 70 will be the standard. Larger packs will probable have to wait until the giga factory is ramping up production.

The side mirrors are just annoying. Cameras could do so much better, but unfortunately the laws in most countries would have to be changed that specifically mention mirrors to be mandatory. 15 years ago I worked for BMW and we had cameras instead of mirrors in the design stage.

IMO, there are only few changes that may make into 2016 Model S production:

self presenting doors
AP updates (only if production X gets any upgrades)
new nose cone

In 2016 Tesla will be focused on X production, Model 3 design, finishing Gigafactory and streamlining repair and service. Tesla will only introduce changes to consolidate parts (such as AP) or eliminate bugs such as door handles...or if demand softens.

Totally forgot two important issues. The vanity light and the seating profile. The biggest issue I have is reaching into the car over the steering wheel to change the seating profile so I can fit in the car after my wife drives (1 foot shorter than me).

Create an "Exit" profile that adjusts back and get both in the habit of using it when you exit.

There's no reason to believe they will do that other than wishful thinking.

They already have a blind spot indicator in the car and no pressing need to change it... and moving it away from the "integrated with AP IC" is step away from the direction they've been heading.

- - - Updated - - -

Exit profile: Yes!

Make it automatic, and make both front/back and up/down motors run at the same time.

Simple windshield wipers with intermittent settings not this automated crap that doesn't work. Acceptance of third-party apps like Waze, interior refinements such as better lighting and better materials consistency in fixing squeaks and incredibly annoying wind noise. And a battery that actually will allow the car to go 300 miles on a charge without it having to be downhill and performance numbers and horsepower that meet their claims