Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] All Model 3s have hardware for self presenting doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
QUOTE="alevek, post: 2236373, member: 44135"]Self presenting doors and FWD are the most idiotic things ever put on a car.\[/QUOTE]
upload_2017-8-5_6-0-29.png

upload_2017-8-5_6-1-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-5_6-1-10.png
    upload_2017-8-5_6-1-10.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 23
And I bet HUD also unlocks on your first birthday after delivery. Funny, but I don't get this wishful thinking. If they had it, it would work and they would charge for it.

Not necessarily. No way can Model 3 show automated doors before Model S, if Tesla can help it...

Osborning Model S/X forces Tesla to keep things hidden in Model 3, see interior camera and HW 2.5 for Autopilot as examples... as well as the super hushed launch devoid of detail...

Software-disabling some future Model 3 features seems plausible.

As for the doors, I have no idea. But automated doors do make sense for self-driving... so at least this speculation is not completely impossible...

No matter what Tesla says, Model 3 is Tesla's next-gen. It has stuff Model S/X do not have.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Not necessarily. No way can Model 3 show automated doors before Model S, if Tesla can help it...

Osborning Model S/X forces Tesla to keep things hidden in Model 3, see interior camera and HW 2.5 for Autopilot as examples... as well as the super hushed launch devoid of detail...

Software-disabling some future Model 3 features seems plausible.

As for the doors, I have no idea. But automated doors do make sense for self-driving... so at least this speculation is not completely impossible...

No matter what Tesla says, Model 3 is Tesla's next-gen. It has stuff Model S/X do not have.
This is by far the best model 3 collection I've seen!! Thank you...

Reactions: dss33
I believe the button you indicate in the photo activates a solenoid that performs essentially the same action as pulling on the manual door latch. All that does is pop the door open by an inch or so, after which you push on the door (old-school!) to open it. This is clear in several of the live streams broadcast during the handover event. No self-opening doors, and no self-extending external door handles.

While the self opening and closing doors on Model X are luxurious, I have not missed them on my 2017 MS. Hopefully they will always be a separate option IF they appear on S or 3. It's one feature that can be troublesome if the driver door window edge moves quickly toward your teeth! Having the door swing open in traffic taught me how to approach the door properly. And let's not forget how many passengers got a love tap on a leg as the passenger door closed too soon.

What would be appreciated is manual close with pull-in latching to eliminate slamming to secure a Model S front door.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I believe the button you indicate in the photo activates a solenoid that performs essentially the same action as pulling on the manual door latch. All that does is pop the door open by an inch or so, after which you push on the door (old-school!) to open it. This is clear in several of the live streams broadcast during the handover event. No self-opening doors, and no self-extending external door handles.

Sort of. You can't have only electromechanical hardware open the door because in a bad crash and in the case of electrical failure, you're then totally SOL. So the rumor (haven't verified myself because...no 3 yet) is that the middle handle/switch is a manual door release (purely mechanical). The button at the top is the main door unlatch button (electromechanical).

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Sort of. You can't have only electromechanical hardware open the door because in a bad crash and in the case of electrical failure, you're then totally SOL. So the rumor (haven't verified myself because...no 3 yet) is that the middle handle/switch is a manual door release (purely mechanical). The button at the top is the main door unlatch button (electromechanical).
Exactly. We're saying the same thing. The button activates a solenoid that pulls on the door latch, the same way you would pull on the manual (mechanical) lever. From the mechanical lever to the door opening is all mechanical - no electrical power required. I believe that was covered in one of the test drives that were live-streamed during the hand-over event.

Kind of silly to have both, if you ask me. If you're not going to fully open the door for me (which they don't), I can unlatch it mechanically myself. Have for years, in every car I've owned. My Roadster is sort of that way. From the outside there is a switch that unlatches the door and pops it open a bit; you then pull it open from there. From the inside, it's all mechanical. Unlatch and push. (There is also a mechanical key-operated opener for entry on the bottom of the door, in case the 12v power is out.)

I absolutely love the self closing door on my X. When I have to drive my ICE car, I push on the brake expecting the door to close. I also forget to turn off the car and take the key. I am really hoping the 3 has the ability to self close the driver door. The opening behavior of the 3 sounds just like the X so I have my fingers crossed - here's hoping for future SW enablement.

My X is non PUP, but I have always believed that self presenting doors could be SW enabled because the motor is clearly there to self close. Having said that Tesla has been very careful not to undermine the economics of the PUP offering. They made such a big deal about self presenting doors I don't expect to see the option to upgrade anytime soon.

As for the non-glass roof, I am pretty sure that will happen. Not everyone is happy with the big Model X window. Too much glare for the light sensitive. For me the view outweighs the glare so I am happy.