Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] All Model 3s have hardware for self presenting doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since they opted for an electronic button over mechanical, I wonder if future software update would allow fully automatic doors like the X.... Thoughts? When I finished test ride they definitely opened by themselves at least part way...

That was my thought when I saw the button to release the door mechanism as well. Seems like it would be a trivial thing to enable. The car already knows you're near by. Maybe it will be enabled after the Model S gets it?

Reactions: Kacey Green
Since they opted for an electronic button over mechanical, I wonder if future software update would allow fully automatic doors like the X.... Thoughts? When I finished test ride they definitely opened by themselves at least part way...
I wonder if the doors can open like the Model X. The model X door unlocks (comes ajar - like the model 3 ) AND then it opens up to let the driver in.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Full Self-Presenting Door Handles.jpg

I wonder if the doors can open like the Model X. The model X door unlocks (comes ajar - like the model 3 ) AND then it opens up to let the driver in.

You've called out the difference here. There are two very separate actions that happen with Model X. The 3 only has the hardware for one of those actions (unlocking/unlatching) but does not have the necessary (for lack of a more accurate term) struts for opening and closing the door too.

Since they're going for a less expensive and simpler to manufacture car, there's almost no way that additional hardware needed for opening and closing the doors automatically exists in the 3.

Reactions: garsh and gambit48
You've called out the difference here. There are two very separate actions that happen with Model X. The 3 only has the hardware for one of those actions (unlocking/unlatching) but does not have the necessary (for lack of a more accurate term) struts for opening and closing the door too.

Since they're going for a less expensive and simpler to manufacture car, there's almost no way that additional hardware needed for opening and closing the doors automatically exists in the 3.
Quite the contrary, since they're going for ease of manufacturing and cost efficiency, it would be more expensive to first come out with a different hardware now then implement totally new hardware later (or at least so I've gathered from how they manufacture their other vehicles). The Model S does not have any mechanism that props the door open ala the X and the 3.

Quite the contrary, since they're going for ease of manufacturing and cost efficiency, it would be more expensive to first come out with a different hardware now then implement totally new hardware later (or at least so I've gathered from how they manufacture their other vehicles). The Model S does not have any mechanism that props the door open ala the X and the 3.

Does the 3 have a mechanism that props the door open? I know it has an electronic door release, but so does the Model S (the Model S door is opened using the microswitch activated by the outside door handle).

That's my point though. There are two very different pieces of hardware required for what Model X's doors do. Model 3 only has one and it's the far less complicated/expensive of the two. No good reason to make the doors open by themselves when it adds cost and complexity...the two most important things that Tesla's aimed to get away from with the 3.

Saying that the 3's doors are like the X's just because of the electromechanical nature of the 3's unlocking/unlatching mechanism wouldn't be accurate. As gregincal mentioned, the Model S also has an electromechanical unlocking mechanism - it isn't straight mechanical like most cars.

Tesla Updates Door Opening Mechanism For Model S

The real difference with the 3 is that it pops the door open just enough to grab the edge so you can open it that way, since the handles aren't super robust. Hard to speak in more detail without having actually done it myself, but that's my sense.

The motorized doors on the Model X are a nightmare. Lose 12V power and the front doors simply can not be opened or closed without breaking the motors, plus they sit there and consume power constantly while the door is open in an effort to anticipate movements made by external forces, such as a human moving the door, so that it feels smooth.

While I do like using this feature on my X, it is one of my least favorite design points on the car.