Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation: Delay in 6.0 Due to Liability and User Experience Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But as with all things in life, we live in a world where people sue McDonald's for spilled coffee (or someone sleeping at a ball game sues the league/TV station for broadcasting that he's sleeping). So, it would be extremely easy and convenient for - say an owner of a Tesla that gets involved in an accident, particularly after a firmware upgrade to blame it on the software. It could be something simple, such as having the screen resize itself as the car is in motion (or a new screen popping up... or whatever) - but the point is, just by upgrading the software, there 'could' be a liability issue.

Unlikely. The controls for safely operating the Model S are still the same ... steering wheel, brakes, turn signals, etc.

For the record, people bringing up the McDonald's case is a pet peeve of mine and one I can't let go by. The facts of the case are pretty damning for McD's. It wasn't just spilled coffee. It was scalding hot coffee heated to a temperature that they'd been warned about, but willfully ignored because it was more convenient to keep it at a temperature that resulted in 3rd degree burns and plastic surgery for the burned person. The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case Read about the case. McDonald's deserved to be sued over this 'spilled coffee' and I'm glad they lost.

the OP must be a new owner. as an early MS owner I found that when Tesla says something will be delivered in the spring. They mean before NEXT spring or even the following spring. I remember waiting for my car when they said that production would ramp up quickly. six months later it started to ramp up. When they said that the Model X would be available in 2014 they actually meant 2015.(or will it be 2016)
So when they say V6.0 will be out in a month or two I multiply by 10 to get the accurate delivery date.

the definition of "Tesla Time" in the dictionary has two meanings.
1. the time lost while answering questions from people that have never seen a tesla before.(trying to go home for the night, after stopping to pick something up at the store)
2. the imaginary time that Tesla uses for announcing new products or software versions.

Last edited:
I agree with the OP. I mean Tesla has never been late or delayed on anything else, ever. It is so unlike Tesla to be behind on something that it must be litigation concerns... ;)

As an early adopter (deposit in Oct 2009), it is my impression that Tesla has rarely been on-time for much . . . including the delivery schedule for the Model S. I usually just add 30% to any estimated delivery window and don't get upset until the +50% threshold is reached. I'm currently frustrated with Tesla over their continued "Coming Soon" status for the Premium Center Console. I think it's been coming soon for over a year.

I'm currently frustrated with Tesla over their continued "Coming Soon" status for the Premium Center Console. I think it's been coming soon for over a year.

It's actually been over two years since they asked us to give feedback on the options. Tesla has an earned reputation for not meeting deadlines so I don't think we can assume any reasons for the lateness of v6.0. Being late also doesn't mean v6.0 will be wildly different or exciting.

Last edited:
User interface in the car is best I have tested in a car, for people used to ipads or other pads or touch screen.
My wife used 15min to use most of the functions, no nede to read manual.
It took 1hour on my wifes 206cc reading through the manual, then Google to find out how to drive with roof down and be able to take windows up and down while driving. :-(
(Neded to take them up before driving, if not they are locked in lover position)

There's really no way that this is a liability problem because the display doesn't change the way the car drives or handles. But a new major software release is just plain non-trivial. Getting it right is better than getting it out quickly and dealing with the upset customers.

There's really no way that this is a liability problem because the display doesn't change the way the car drives or handles. But a new major software release is just plain non-trivial. Getting it right is better than getting it out quickly and dealing with the upset customers.

I agree on both counts. Liability issue small (but anyone can suit anyone) so if I were TM that would not be my worry. Second, I would worry about getting it 'right'. It has to be right for the various configurations (think air suspension/tech package) and if part of the release includes anything to do with the phone ap then they have to make it work for both iPhone and Android users.

Tesla has never met a self-imposed date. I was number 252 on the reservation list (placed reservation the day after the the reservation process went live. The wait for the car was nearly 3 years, almost 1 year longer than their original release date. Every update has been released later than projected. Same thing with the Superchargers and every other facet of the car. The OP is obviously a new owner not used to these delays. Reading his post, he seems to feel that the touchscreen controls are awkward. If he really feels this way, why did he buy the car?

Reading his post, he seems to feel that the touchscreen controls are awkward. If he really feels this way, why did he buy the car?

I did not buy the car for the touchscreen (though I like it). I bought it for the performance and ability to run on electricity.

But in any case, does anyone not feel the touch screen interface for the media player could use improvement?

Of course it could be improved! All software, whether on your computer, your phone, your tablet, or your Tesla, undergoes continuous improvement.

Think back to the first version of Apple iOS. Compare it to the current version. Major improvements over just a few years.

Tesla has far fewer resources than Apple, but there have been significant improvements with the Model S software over the past few years. They will continue. Patience...

2) User Experience: somewhat of an issue here. Yes, there's a 17" inch screen in the car, but boy, Tesla does not make it an intuitive experience and one where form follows function.
But in any case, does anyone not feel the touch screen interface for the media player could use improvement?
These have very different tone and content, liuping.

There is no software that couldn't "use improvement". That's the very nature of it.

Last edited:
i have run enough major software programmes to know this stuff is hard. Those of us with RHD cars have made life more complex too: different screen layouts and different hardware too.

While I would like life perfect and I would like it now (my educated wife says I am mildly misquoting Antigone), I never found that corporate bearings helped me to produce software better, faster or cheaper. I am happy therefore to give Tesla time to get it right!