TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

**Speculation** - Final "steering system"

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by vwtodd, Apr 19, 2017.

1. vwtodd

vwtodd Member

With all of the hand-wringing over an apparent lack of HUD, I had an idea. Elon never said there would not be any additional driver information and I think that the "steering system" will incorporate a non-rotating screen in the entire center of the wheel (or yoke) and the whole assembly will retract into the dash when in autopilot.

To do this, you would need to relocate the drivers airbag - into the dash right were an instrument cluster traditionally would live.

We will see...

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. Litzy

Litzy Member

"1 screen"

• Like x 5
  3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I can't even imagine how distracting that would be, but I bet someone will post a pic of someone with an iPad strapped to their steering wheel shortly ;)

• Funny x 4
  4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

On a $35k car that's intended to streamline production? No way.

• Like x 7
  5. T34ME

T34ME Member

In a $35K car? No. I think it is more likely the car will talk to the driver and the driver talk to the car. My Prius already does that in a soothing female voice. We like it.

• Informative x 1
  6. RayW

RayW Member

I believe Elon said it will be one simple screen and no HUD. The Model S gets the "fancy" stuff

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

No. Elon Musk confirmed it will have a single display.
    So it'll be speed and other driving information in the top left of the central display.

It's something that will reduce hardware and assembly costs, and enable faster assembly.

8. Raindog1

Raindog1 Member

I understand that the M3 will NOT get a HUD.... But a HUD isn't really a "new" fan-dangled piece of hi tech. They have been around for a long time....

I'm just hoping they didn't cut corners when they went pencils down! I think people expected the interior to change rather dramatically.

9. S3XY

S3XY Member

People were mistaken

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  10. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

The car will be delivered with driving and steering *ability*. A future update will allow it to move.

(sorry, couldn't resist the temptation!)

• Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  11. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Depends on the HUD. The nearly full windshield coverage AR HUD many of us were speculating about that Panasonic demoed at CES certainly would be fancy new fangled technology - and seems so naturally Tesla that I still suspect it'll show up at some point in the future.

12. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Putting any sort of information on the steering wheel would be a terrible idea for anyone that is older, or just has bad eyes that take time to change their focal point to something that close.

So it would be a race to see which got to the steering wheel first, your face or the air bag coming from behind it?

• Like x 2
  13. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

HAHAHAHA

14. S3XY

S3XY Member

That's a race I'd be happy to lose!

15. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

I can see lights on the steering column with head light, high beam and turn signal indicators, but that's about it.

• Like x 1
  16. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Now that I could see (pun intended), something you don't really need to focus on but could see in your peripheral vision.

17. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Clearly a slow news day!
    Please can we have some new mule sightings to keep everyone busy so we avoid such crazy speculation like this thread:)

18. Gangus

Gangus Member

I have a feeling that some sort of augmented reality will show up after the Federal Tax credit is gone. It would give the people that missed out on the tax credit something big that would make it worth that they missed out. Plus gives them some time to perfect it. That tax credit is a big reason why people are buying or can afford this car. Once its gone they are going to need something big that adds significant value to the car. If it's not augmented reality it will be something else "BIG LEAGUE". It will surely be something that will turn a frown from missing out on the tax credit into a big smile. Buyers will not feel like they missed out as much. Personally, I am waiting to see what the Model 3 final cost for the PxxDL and its level of performance. I can't see spending 70+ grand on a car without some serious bells and whistles and killer performance. 70 ++ grand can buy a serious machine. I'm sure that Elon has something planned that will blow everyone away at the final reveal, and send all these other car manufacturers home crying to their mommy. It's going to be mic drop material, I hope!!!!

• Disagree x 2
  19. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Don't know why people are so enamoured with the "retracting steering wheel" thing. Falls into the category of weirdmobile to me.

20. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

To do this, you would need a spokelsss steering wheel so the deployment of the air bag isn't hindered. ;)