Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

**Speculation** - Final "steering system"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0095.JPG
Yoke.

I don't understand this desire to cling to a relic like the steering wheel. The steering wheel was put in the automobile to provide enough mechanical advantage to allow most people to move the steering mechanism.
Since we seem to insist on a console in between the front seats and people seem to love a stick , I want the steering wheel gone and steering and movement forward and reverse controlled by a joystick mounted on the middle console.

I don't understand this desire to cling to a relic like the steering wheel. The steering wheel was put in the automobile to provide enough mechanical advantage to allow most people to move the steering mechanism.
Since we seem to insist on a console in between the front seats and people seem to love a stick , I want the steering wheel gone and steering and movement forward and reverse controlled by a joystick mounted on the middle console.

Repeating this for the 10th time here, imagine yourself driving on the motorway at 70+mph with your hand holding a joystick console and you unexpectedly sneeze .... fill in the blanks for what happens next. Or imagine holding a joystick and having to brake suddenly.

Morale of the story - don't give up on proven fundamentals just to be different unless there is a sound technical advantage to it. The classic steering wheel, due to symmetry of design, position and hold, protects against sudden single sided movements thereby reducing the chances of transient movement feeding back into navigation controls.

Repeating this for the 10th time here, imagine yourself driving on the motorway at 70+mph with your hand holding a joystick console and you unexpectedly sneeze .... fill in the blanks for what happens next. Or imagine holding a joystick and having to brake suddenly.

Morale of the story - don't give up on proven fundamentals just to be different unless there is a sound technical advantage to it. The classic steering wheel, due to symmetry of design, position and hold, protects against sudden single sided movements thereby reducing the chances of transient movement feeding back into navigation controls.
I guess jet pilots never sneeze.

You, sir, have never driven with a dog that can't make up his mind if he wants to be in the back seat or the front.

I also guess pilots only have a small corridor not much wider than the width of the plane to fly in.... Forget about all that airspace up there...
you've never seen them flying formation then? The car may be in a narrower corridor, but the speed is quite a lot less :)
Point is the steering wheel is used because its familiar. It is isn't inherently safer than any other control method.
Sneezing fit leads to fatal Missouri car accident
or
Drivers who sneeze behind the wheel cause 2,500 accidents a WEEK - now experts say they should stay off the roads | Daily Mail Online

Hmm. Joystick control in the center console and self driving?

You've created the car of the future here!

Everyone thought so.

GM named it Firebird III. :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BluestarE3