Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation: Futur instalation of Robot chargers at new Superchargers sites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is purely speculatif, but I noticed that some new superchargers have the traditional piedestal chargers installed
on the back of a charging spot, while there is one or two piedestal installed on the side of a charging spot.

Typically, installing a charger on a side allows to charge a car with a trailer without needed to disconnect the trailer.

However, on the picture below, you can notice that the side piedestals are installed near the back,
so a car would need to back up, and there is no advantages for car with a trailer.

May be this configuration would be more practical for a car with a bicycle rack, but I still wonder if this would be the only reason?

My speculation is that those side piedestals could be replaced in the futur with robot arms chargers,
something which would be needed for Full Self Driving cars, or car for driver with disability, since one spot has a disabled sign.

TSCFSD2.jpg

@Watts_Up I think there are two reasons.
  1. The curb jogs at that point, so the pedestal would either be too far back or have a gap (and reduce the pedestrian space) behind it if placed normally.
  2. Allows the pedestal to function as signage to people driving down the road.

The curb jogs at that point, so the pedestal would either be too far back
or have a gap (and reduce the pedestrian space) behind it if placed normally.

Here is another view from the back, and the street is straight.

In the case of the Disabled spot, if the pedestral was placed behind the curb,
a person with wheelchair would have not be able to reach the plug.

However, I wonder the reason for the second pedestral to be placed on the side,
unless this allow to move the car parked there, to be a little bit backward then?

TSCFSD3.jpg

TSCFSD4.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mongo