Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Speculation) How long before used MX's hit $50K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in my 2015 MS for almost a month, and I'm loving it - but I can't help but think how long I will go before I have the itch to upgrade. How long do you think it will take for prices of used Model X's to fall under $50K? What factors will play into it besides age/mileage? Do you think once the Model Y hits the market that it will impact the X in the same way the Model 3 created more inventory for those shopping for a used Model S?

Cheapest I've seen so far on tesla cpo was $59k... of course non-cpo used model Xs are barely dipping under 70k,

I think you'll be able to find a tesla cpo before the end of 2019 for <50k, maybe even mid-year depending on what they add to the 2019 model X... The used market is pretty small on them outside of the cpo's so who knows when you can find one at a normal dealer or private party for <50.
The real question for me is, how will a used 2017+ model X compare in price to a Model Y when it hits the streets?

Pretty much depends on how Tesla prices their used X's because they dictate the used market IMO. Almost every single private party/3rd dealer listing I've seen while shopping for our used X was much higher than Tesla's used pricing. Had zero reason to buy from anywhere but Tesla when we got ours.

I guess it depends on the future improvements in specs and autopilot.
With AP3 and advancements in self driving , AP1 prices will fall.
Also the older 90D version with 5 seats will drop down.
I would guess middle of 2019.

With AP3 and advancements in self driving , AP1 prices will fall.
Also the older 90D version with 5 seats will drop down.

I would disagree a little. Many people on this forum have the mindset of putting so much value into the latest and greatest AP. But, the potential customer who is after a used Tesla is likely not a regular on this forum with that same mindset; it’s most likely someone who is getting into a Tesla for the first time and does not know much about the detailed changes in Tesla’s updates. Othe features of my X have been more conversation starters than AP with the general population. In fact, not a single non-Tesla owner who I’ve spoken to so far has mentioned autopilot.

And why do you say the 90D 5-seater in particular will go down?

Reactions: Fobble
I've been in my 2015 MS for almost a month, and I'm loving it - but I can't help but think how long I will go before I have the itch to upgrade. How long do you think it will take for prices of used Model X's to fall under $50K? What factors will play into it besides age/mileage? Do you think once the Model Y hits the market that it will impact the X in the same way the Model 3 created more inventory for those shopping for a used Model S?
Factors that may impact value:
-Refresh
-AP and/or FSD advancement
-Lease returns (typically 3 years)
-Model Y

My guess is you'll start to see some bargain basement 75Ds a year from now but not both quality and volume until 2020 when most if not all of those factors will be in play.

I would disagree a little. Many people on this forum have the mindset of putting so much value into the latest and greatest AP. But, the potential customer who is after a used Tesla is likely not a regular on this forum with that same mindset; it’s most likely someone who is getting into a Tesla for the first time and does not know much about the detailed changes in Tesla’s updates. Othe features of my X have been more conversation starters than AP with the general population. In fact, not a single non-Tesla owner who I’ve spoken to so far has mentioned autopilot.

And why do you say the 90D 5-seater in particular will go down?

Until EV go more mainstream [ which they slowly are ] , for a casual observer to buy a Tesla will be a huge leap of faith. Casual conversations without AP being mentioned is to be expected. Once buyers are close to making a deal , reasonable ones will do some research i would assume , and then AP should come out as a huge part of Tesla.
The 5 seater MX are the ones most discounted on the inventory stocks , im sure for a reason. With the upcoming modelY 5 seat MX will take bigger hit.
The 90kW battery has had bad press. Also the real world mileage increase from a 75kW is only about 15 miles.
Now thats my 0.02 . I may be wrong.

Until EV go more mainstream [ which they slowly are ] , for a casual observer to buy a Tesla will be a huge leap of faith. Casual conversations without AP being mentioned is to be expected. Once buyers are close to making a deal , reasonable ones will do some research i would assume , and then AP should come out as a huge part of Tesla.
The 5 seater MX are the ones most discounted on the inventory stocks , im sure for a reason. With the upcoming modelY 5 seat MX will take bigger hit.
The 90kW battery has had bad press. Also the real world mileage increase from a 75kW is only about 15 miles.
Now thats my 0.02 . I may be wrong.
How many Tesla buyers do you think know of the detailed differences between all the model/trim/option variations with Tesla? I don't know the answer myself. But, from my personal experience talking about my car to friends/family/neighbors/strangers, and if you visit a Tesla showroom, you will realize most conversations/buying decisions do not revolve around AP. Believe it or not, AP is not a big decision factor of buying a Tesla for the average person.
The 90D has a bad press on these forums, only, because the usable capacity is less than 90. However, 90 is still 15-20 more real world miles than the 75 and, more importantly, charges faster. Charging a 75 to the full capacity to get that maximum range will take forever, even at a supercharger. You don't need to go to 100% with the 90 to get the same range. The charging speed is a big difference. But, again, the average customer has no clue about these nuances unless they're a long-time regular on these forums.

l think we can agree, though, that most buyers will prefer a 90D over a 75D if they had the financial means. And it is the 5-seat 75D models that would depreciate the quickest.

When Tesla bumps battery capacity, the value of current cars will go down. I believe that will happen in 2019.

THIS. Regardless of everything said, I think this will be the biggest factor of prices. Does not matter whether you have 75, 90, 100, AP1, AP2, AP2.5.....the bigger battery will always devalue other trims when comparing the same model.

When Tesla bumps battery capacity, the value of current cars will go down. I believe that will happen in 2019.

It MIGHT be late 2019, but Tesla is not going to upgrade the battery until they need to in order to fend off competition. As long as they're selling their full S and X production capacity with the current range, they won't upgrade. Also, they want to let the competition spout off a little while about having as much range as a Tesla, then upgrade the range, sending the other manufacturers back to the drawing board.

As is stands, Tesla is selling all they can build, and the competition isn't even close to catching up. So there's no incentive to upgrade the battery any time soon.

JMHO

It MIGHT be late 2019, but Tesla is not going to upgrade the battery until they need to in order to fend off competition. As long as they're selling their full S and X production capacity with the current range, they won't upgrade. Also, they want to let the competition spout off a little while about having as much range as a Tesla, then upgrade the range, sending the other manufacturers back to the drawing board.

As is stands, Tesla is selling all they can build, and the competition isn't even close to catching up. So there's no incentive to upgrade the battery any time soon.

JMHO

True, plus bumping up the low end capacity to 85 would probably shift more sales toward lower priced vehicles .