Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Model 3 0.237 kwh/mile!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, on the model three owners club forum they are now joking that you work for Tesla, because right after you asked for the URL it was taken down by Tesla:)

Hahaha oh geez... I hope I don't end up accidentally becoming the center of a new storm of corporate intrigue, I had enough of that during Aptera's collapse ;)

(Long story short: when Aptera's board hired Paul Wilbur, who then proceeded to run the company into the ground, I started publishing leaks from the company, which apparently set him off on an angry hunt for the leaker. The truth of the matter was, there was no "leaker", singular - almost all of the people who were in any position of significance in the company, apart from Paul and his friends, were leaking to me ;) Why to me, I'll never know...) Moral of the story, corporate morale matters, and if your staff thinks you're ruining the company....)

By the way, here's one more thing that occurred to me. A battery chemistry or cooling improvement to improve maximum charge rates wouldn't have all that meaningful of an impact on Model S and X charge times. It might bring the charge from "80% in 30 minutes" to "90% in 35" minutes, or something similar, but ultimately they're going to be limited by the current that the superchargers can deliver (until Musk starts building out the V3 network); the 0-80% time would not significantly decrease, only the charge percent at which the charger has to start throttling back..

However, the same improvement in a small-pack, efficient EV would actually significantly improve charge times. For a 50kWh pack it'd mean 80% in 20 minutes, not 30, on a V2 supercharger.

I wonder if Tesla has such a chemistry / cooling improvement up their sleeve - whether at launch, or at some point in the next few years?

Reactions: scaesare and kbM3
By the way, here's one more thing that occurred to me. A battery chemistry or cooling improvement to improve maximum charge rates wouldn't have all that meaningful of an impact on Model S and X charge times. It might bring the charge from "80% in 30 minutes" to "90% in 35" minutes, or something similar, but ultimately they're going to be limited by the current that the superchargers can deliver (until Musk starts building out the V3 network); the 0-80% time would not significantly decrease, only the charge percent at which the charger has to start throttling back..

However, the same improvement in a small-pack, efficient EV would actually significantly improve charge times. For a 50kWh pack it'd mean 80% in 20 minutes, not 30, on a V2 supercharger.

I wonder if Tesla has such a chemistry / cooling improvement up their sleeve - whether at launch, or at some point in the next few years?
Elon has been cryptically mentioning keeping some model three powder dry. I wonder if it has to do with supercharger V3?

Also, there is the promise on the auto pilot cross-country drive, that supercharging will be automated. I wonder if we will see that "charge from underneath" concept that was in their patent?

Reactions: zmarty
Is there any chance the .237 could be from the wall? Could they have made a dramatic improvement in charging efficiency?
I don't think so. Charging is already pretty darned efficient. Using what we currently know, the Model 3 should weigh something like ~15% less than the Model S, and have ~16% better aero.

If we assume Tesla has improved charging efficiency to 90% (currently at ~85% for Model S), that would be 213 Wh/mile, compared to the Model S at ~280 Wh/mile. That works out to 24% lower consumption. There's just nowhere for Tesla to get those extra 8-9% in any reasonable way. The Model 3 would have to have a Cd of 0.19 and a weight of 1500 kg. Something like that.

It's not *completely* impossible, but it would mean that Tesla has been holding out on us. The car would likely be all aluminum, and I have no idea how they'd get to 0.19 Cd. Maybe they could offer optional wheel arch covers. Maybe something like 0.20 and 1600 kg could be sufficient, if Tesla has gone for a permanent magnet motor, and has really managed to cut down on ancillary losses. Maybe they've installed a heat pump, for instance.

I think all of this is very unlikely.

I don't think so. Charging is already pretty darned efficient. Using what we currently know, the Model 3 should weigh something like ~15% less than the Model S, and have ~16% better aero.
Are you including any differences in frontal area ?
I used 2.22 m*m and 1800 Kg for the Model 3 and and 2.34 m*m for the Tesla and came up with ~ 40 Wh/mile difference in combined road and aero drags between the cars at 65 mph (105 kph.)

Last edited:
I used 2.22 m*m and 1800 Kg for the Model 3 and and 2.34 m*m for the Tesla and came up with ~ 40 Wh/mile difference in combined road and aero drags between the cars at 65 mph (105 kph.)
The EPA testing isn't done at (only) 65 mph. The testing is done at a wide range of speeds, temperatures, etc.

With no ancillary losses, identical tires and a perfect battery and drive line, a car with 10% lower weight and 10% better aero will be rated at exactly 90% of the consumption of the reference car.

The EPA testing isn't done at (only) 65 mph. The testing is done at a wide range of speeds, temperatures, etc.

With no ancillary losses, identical tires and a perfect battery and drive line, a car with 10% lower weight and 10% better aero will be rated at exactly 90% of the consumption of the reference car.
Yggdrasill, do you have a prediction for the 75kWh EPA rating, based on your assumptions and calculations?

The EPA testing isn't done at (only) 65 mph
I know. It just seems like 65 mph works out in many cases. Call it a rule of thumb

In this case the Model 3 Aero is 0.9*21/24 = 78% while the weight is 85%, both compared to the Model S.
The Aero will have a greater weighted effect

Screenshot 2017-07-28 at 12.33.11 AM.png

Last edited:
I know. It just seems like 65 mph works out in many cases.

In this case the Model 3 Aero is 0.9*21/24 = 78% while the weight is 85%, both compared to the Model S.
The Aero will have a greater weighted effect
(2.24 x 0.21) / (2.34 x 0.24) = 0.837

That's 16.3% better aero. And I think weight will matter more, actually. Aero is less important up to around 50 mph for the Model 3, and most of the testing is done at under 50 mph. Also, weight impacts losses due to braking/acceleration.

Last edited:
Yggdrasill, do you have a prediction for the 75kWh EPA rating, based on your assumptions and calculations?
My most recent estimate was here (I think my estimate a few months ago was 295 miles):

I redid my calculations, and there wasn't much difference. I used 2.24 m^2 for Model 3, and 2.34 m^2 for Model S. (I've always used the Model S as the benchmark, so with the Model S having a lower front area than I thought, the difference was actually smaller with the new figures.)

I arrived at 298 EPA miles for 75 kWh pack (77 kWh gross, 74.6 kWh net) and 236 EPA miles for 55 kWh pack (57.8 kWh gross, 55.4 kWh net).

If 237 Wh/mile is correct (for the 75 kWh version) and this is without charging losses, the range should be 314 miles with 74.6 kWh available.

If 237 Wh/mile is including 15% charging losses, and actual consumption is 201.5 Wh/mile, the range should be 370 miles with 74.6 kWh available!

Reactions: Alketi
One other wrinkle in this...

If 237 Wh/mile is legit, would it be for the RWD or AWD version?

On the "2017" Model S, there's a ~5% difference in EPA-rated efficiency between the 60/75 and 60D/75D.

5% isn't a big number, but it isn't insignificant either. In the mid-200's Wh/mi, it would amount to a ~12Wh/mi difference.

I don't think we can assume there's much difference between the AWD version and the RWD version. These are newer motors, and they may be optimized more for efficiency rather than max power. The AWD version will weigh more, so even a slight change in the efficiency difference can wipe out the net gains. The Model 3 will also most likely have a higher *percentage* gain in weight with AWD compared to the Model S.

Hahaha oh geez... I hope I don't end up accidentally becoming the center of a new storm of corporate intrigue, I had enough of that during Aptera's collapse ;)

(Long story short: when Aptera's board hired Paul Wilbur, who then proceeded to run the company into the ground, I started publishing leaks from the company, which apparently set him off on an angry hunt for the leaker. The truth of the matter was, there was no "leaker", singular - almost all of the people who were in any position of significance in the company, apart from Paul and his friends, were leaking to me ;) Why to me, I'll never know...) Moral of the story, corporate morale matters, and if your staff thinks you're ruining the company....)
Say, your real name doesn't happen to be Reince Priebus, does it? :)