Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Model 3 0.237 kwh/mile!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Swampgator

Apr 27, 2016
Florida
Akilae over at Model 3 owners club found this code snipet on the Tesla site:

{"months":60,"toll_savings":null,"distance_per_month":833.33,"distance":49999.8,"fuel_efficiency_imperial":28,"fuel_efficiency_metric":null,"kwh_consumption":0.237,"supercharger_kwh_price":0.2,"fuel_price":2.85,"kwh_price":0.127},"variant":["m3"],"market":"US"

If this is correct then the Model 3 will be one of the most efficient EVs on the market. This also works out to a 316 mile range for the 75kwh pack. And over 250 miles for a 60 kwh pack. I still think they may use a 55 kwh for the base, which still works out to 232 miles.

The same code Tesla uses he found shows 0.369 kwh/mile for a Model S.

Anyone know with that efficiency number what the weight should be??

You can't calculate the weight just from that - aero has even more of an influence. But if that's right.... 64% as much energy.... *swoon*! That's at the lower end of my estimates. And would mean that on a 48A charger it would fill even *faster* than a Model S on a 72A charger ;)

If we assume an equal distribution of energy savings between aero, rolling, and parasitic losses, and if we assume a Cd of the design goal 0.21, then the frontal area is 73% that of the Model S, or 86% as long on each axis.

If this number turns out to be correct, I'm going to play Pharrell's "Happy" and Jónas Sigurðsson's "Hamingjan er hér" on a loop ;) I mean, geez, where I am the speed limits are only 90 kph (56 mph), so maybe 180Wh/mi / 112 Wh/km. OMG, CHAdeMOs actually would be like mini-superchargers....

Last edited:

{"months":60,"toll_savings":null,"distance_per_month":833.33,"distance":49999.8,"fuel_efficiency_imperial":28,"fuel_efficiency_metric":null,"kwh_consumption":0.237,"supercharger_kwh_price":0.2,"fuel_price":2.85,"kwh_price":0.127},"variant":["m3"],"market":"US"

If this is correct then the Model 3 will be one of the most efficient EVs on the market. This also works out to a 316 mile range for the 75kwh pack. And over 250 miles for a 60 kwh pack. I still think they may use a 55 kwh for the base, which still works out to 232 miles.

The rated energy consumption of my RWD Model S is 0.300kWh/mile. Are you sure this 0.369kWh/mile is for Model S, not Model X?

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
How does efficiency impact charge rate? I'm not refuting you I'm just not familiar with that idea.

For a vehicle getting A Wh/mi given charge rate of B watts:

A Wh/mi / B W = A/B h/mi of charge added, or B / 60A mi/min. So, for a vehicle that gets 369 Wh/mi charging on, say, 43kW, you're adding 1,9 mi/min. But for a vehicle getting 237 Wh/mi, that's 3 mi/min.

Obviously there are limits to how fast you can charge a pack, particularly as it nears 100% capacity. But so long as you're not hitting those limits, you add more miles per minute on a more efficient vehicle for a given charge power.

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke and gavine
I'm not completely sure what to make of that figure. It's 36% lower than the figure for the Model S. That *can't* be right.

I suspect the figure for the Model S is including charging losses, but it's without charging losses for the Model 3. That's good, because it allows you to calculate the range pretty accurately. But you still don't have enough information to make a reasonable estimate for the weight. It's just one factor in a big mess of calculations.

However, my calculations for range have been pretty similar to these figures, and I've been using 1700-1850 kg in my calculations.

Man that would be fantastic. That's only slightly less than my average of 4.7 m/kWh that I get on my little leaf. That's 4.2 m/kWh... really nice.

-Jim

That's the low end of reasonable for the Model 3, and seems a bit high for the Model S.
Robin

The rated energy consumption of my RWD Model S is 0.300kWh/mile. Are you sure this 0.369kWh/mile is for Model S, not Model X?

Akilae at M3OC said 0.344 for Model S and 0.369 for X

Am I onto something?

Also the consumption is significantly lower on a Model 3 using 0,237 kwh/mile compared to a Model S using 0,344 kwh/mile or a Model X using 0,369 kwh/mile

Reactions: DurandalAI