Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - New charging plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but in this case, the person witnessing the charge, watched them finish, take off the cover, and drive off. The interior was also clearly visible to witnesses when it pulled up. This is all according to the referenced article.
Did any clear pictures of the interior appear on the internet? Project "cover the car while charging" successful. I hope anyone who would chose to cover the entire car to simply hide the screen isn't developing efficiency plans for Tesla.

Reactions: VT_EE
"Full vehicle cover" was just a distraction or just an easy way to cover the real surprise.
What surprise? Well, we actually don't know something about Model 3 yet.
And what's that? Read the thread title and now thing about the female side of Model 3.

True, but in this case, the person witnessing the charge, watched them finish, take off the cover, and drive off. The interior was also clearly visible to witnesses when it pulled up. This is all according to the referenced article.

Um, how exactly would they drive the car with a cover on? How is this different with what they did with the Model X? The point is that the car wasn't sitting still unattended without a cover.

Back to the subject, it is very doubtful that they will be changing the charging port. If they were they would be putting them in at the new Superchargers they are currently building. They will just continue to make adapters for non-Tesla chargers. Problem solved. .

Back to the subject, it is very doubtful that they will be changing the charging port. If they were they would be putting them in at the new Superchargers they are currently building. They will just continue to make adapters for non-Tesla chargers. Problem solved. .
^^This^^
Add that if they hit the run rate they're predicting for Model 3/Y etc and GM et al carry on pretending, there will be more cars out there with Tesla plugs than anything else

No it's not.

1. CharIn (the organization behind CCS) does not allow adapters
2. At least in Europe Tesla can add CCS without making any modifications to the existing port or SuperChargers
3. Carrying adapters is annoying and uses up space, which will be more precious in a Model 3

Super Chargers are great, but they're not everywhere. If Tesla can support all standards (SuC/Type-2 and CCS as well as the old CHAdeMO adapter) then they will have an advantage over every other EV. Teslas should be the best at charging in as many places as possible, not only ones where Tesla has thought of, especially considering that the same electricity runs through, no mater what kind of plug it is.

I don't think they'll be changing the port (at least not yet). I'm absolutely convinced that they'll be adding a second CCS port adjacent the standard Tesla one. There is no downside. The charge port door on the Model 3 is large and there is room for 2 ports.

That would eliminate the need for a PITA adapter and provide access to most every charger in North America. And it provides a migration path away from the Tesla charging plug. Eventually, as the roads start to be dominated by CCS cars, Tesla can install superchargers that have a mix of plugs or both plugs, and can turn a profit servicing all makes of cars. And eventually the Tesla charger plug that we know and love will fade away like leaded gas.

^^This^^
Add that if they hit the run rate they're predicting for Model 3/Y etc and GM et al carry on pretending, there will be more cars out there with Tesla plugs than anything else

And, that would be true.... for a while. But, no matter what, Tesla will never be the only maker of cars, or the only supplier of charging systems. Tesla will, eventually, become one of many. There is no indication that any of the other players are open to adopting Tesla's plug. And there's every indication that they're all going CCS. Even if Tesla could dominate short term, they will eventually, necessarily lose. You can't swim against the flow of a river forever.

And, more to the point, there is no reason for Tesla to get into a religious war about this. It's just a bloody fuel port. Tesla wants you to be able to buy fuel at as many locations as possible, with zero hassle. Tesla, if they wish, can certainly still refuse to charge competing vehicles at Tesla chargers. And so they don't lose the competitive benefit of the Tesla SC network.

Yes, Tesla's plug is nicer than the CCS frankenplug. Oh well. Time to move on.

Elon has mentioned that multiple times. Model S will be faster, more powerful, will have more options, etc.

Why should 2170 allow higher charge rate? Because of cell size? Well, most other EVs use pouch cell hundred times
bigger than 2170...
No, charge rate does not work that way. If anything, then smaller cells can be cooled faster. 18650 has advantage over 2170.
Though costs more to produce.

M3 might charge faster in terms of range due to efficiency. But definitely not in terms of power.
My bet is that Tesla will keep charging rate on M3 near S (in terms of range).
And front bumper design supports my inkling.

I think it is feasible that the Model 3 will have a significantly improved taper curve, at least initially.

It's the next generation of cells which will likely have greater charge/discharge rates
But believe what you will :rolleyes:

One of the reasons that they change from 18650 to 2170 is that it is a more optimal size/form for cooling vs. capacity and utilization of the space in the battery pack.

Correct, but they - or at least J.B. - mentioned more optimal cooling as one of the reasons they (at that time) was thinking about changing the format to a ~10% bigger cylinder cell, that we later found out would be the now known 2170,

I just had to add this piece of information (listen for 30 seconds starting at 19:45):

And, more to the point, there is no reason for Tesla to get into a religious war about this. It's just a bloody fuel port. Tesla wants you to be able to buy fuel at as many locations as possible, with zero hassle. Tesla, if they wish, can certainly still refuse to charge competing vehicles at Tesla chargers. And so they don't lose the competitive benefit of the Tesla SC network.
except that Tesla are already offering it to "competing" vehicles - but on terms that make it attractive to use for customers.
Not using annoying RFID cards, dongles or key codes is deliberate.
But to date other manufacturers are content to either do the GM and say its not our business, or like the rest and partner with a third party company. I would say network, but Chargepoint, EVGo, Blink etc aren't networks, they are just a haphazard set of chargers with similar name badges.

except that Tesla are already offering it to "competing" vehicles - but on terms that make it attractive to use for customers.
Not using annoying RFID cards, dongles or key codes is deliberate.
But to date other manufacturers are content to either do the GM and say its not our business, or like the rest and partner with a third party company. I would say network, but Chargepoint, EVGo, Blink etc aren't networks, they are just a haphazard set of chargers with similar name badges.

Do you really think that there is going to be a groundswell of manufacturers adopting the Tesla standard? It's not going to happen. If it was, we would have seen it happening already.

The SAE, who regulates such things, has settled on the CCS standard. VW, who is going to be building their own network, is going CCS. All of other fledgling networks are CCS. Nobody.... repeat, nobody... is going to the Tesla standard.

I don't understand why people would oppose this. Put both ports on the 3 and the S/X. It's the best of both worlds. And then you will have fewer legacy car headaches to deal with when, eventually, the Tesla standard goes the way of Betamax.

Paraphrasing Sun Tzu "Don't fight the battle that you can't win.".

I think your idea is awesome.. let's implement this for the Model 3 and keep the SC Network uncongested. :rolleyes:

Whoosh.

tyTc1Nl.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Falkirk

Actually your logic does not make much sense.

Why would Tesla be putting a new charge port into any Supercharger that is built before Model 3 hits the road? Not only would that pre-announce the change, it would Osborne Model S/X sales and - most importantly - be usable to nobody, because no cars could use those Superchargers...

No, existing Superchargers builds do not tell us much about this. They are serving the current fleet and likely building goes on at its own independent schedule... If they change the connector strategy at some point, they will thenn have to manage the transition in some manner (maybe they would make an adapter that connects existing Superchargers to new cars), but until that time the logical thing would be to continue as is...

(And as said, in Europe old Superchargers would be compatible with CCS anyway, without any adapters.)

Reactions: Booga
I fully expect Model 3 to have a superior battery compared to Model S/X in so many ways. Hence now that we are so close to the announce, I think if you can wait with Model S/X, waiting at least to see what is announced is something I personally would do.

Reactions: ccutrer
I fully expect Model 3 to have a superior battery compared to Model S/X in so many ways. Hence now that we are so close to the announce, I think if you can wait with Model S/X, waiting at least to see what is announced is something I personally would do.

I wonder about that. I expect them to be superior in cost - for sure. And I think that's the big driver. Charging rate? I doubt it. Energy density? Probably somewhat.

Reactions: arnis
I wonder about that. I expect them to be superior in cost - for sure. And I think that's the big driver. Charging rate? I doubt it. Energy density? Probably somewhat.

Charging rate could well be better and without DC charging peak rate throttling perhaps... support for faster Superchargers once those arrive etc... new connector might also appear at some point with CCS support...

Many possibilities, though granted not all may be available from Model 3 day 1. But waiting to see makes sense for those who can wait to compare.

Do you really think that there is going to be a groundswell of manufacturers adopting the Tesla standard? It's not going to happen. If it was, we would have seen it happening already.

The SAE, who regulates such things, has settled on the CCS standard. VW, who is going to be building their own network, is going CCS. All of other fledgling networks are CCS. Nobody.... repeat, nobody... is going to the Tesla standard.

I don't understand why people would oppose this. Put both ports on the 3 and the S/X. It's the best of both worlds. And then you will have fewer legacy car headaches to deal with when, eventually, the Tesla standard goes the way of Betamax.

Paraphrasing Sun Tzu "Don't fight the battle that you can't win.".
maybe its because the so called standard was designed by people who didn't have an effective electric car program and were more interested in their own self-interest? They completely ignored existing "standards" because it wasn't theirs. Do I need to go on?
The biggest problem is they tried (are trying) to impose a standard to a new market without giving that market time to mature.
CCS is the worst example of a standard out there.
This time next year - who will be the manufacturer going against the flow. Its not likely to be Tesla who will be make more EVs than everyone else. Who is fighting a battle they can't win here?
I'm pretty sure Tesla don't even see it as a battle, in their mind they have already won.

Reactions: Runt8 and landis
Heck, I'm waiting for the Model 3 final details before ordering a chademo adapter for my X, or wall connectors for circuit sharing between X and future 3. Not that I expect either of those to change, but they might, and I can wait another few months no problem for the small chance that I'll be kicking myself.

• Love
Reactions: AnxietyRanger