Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - New charging plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well... I can tell you, for 100% certain, that I'm holding off on upgrading until it happens in North America.

I am looking forward to my dongle-free future.

But it may never happen in North America... And they certainly aren't going to support Tesla, CCS, and CHAdeMO. (And I can't see them updating 10s of thousands of charger connectors to eliminate the Tesla connector.)

I guess they could go with two adapters, one for new cars to adapt the old Tesla connector to CCS, and another adapter for old cars to adapt the new installs to the Tesla adapter. (Meaning nobody would be adapter free everywhere.)

Reactions: jsmay311
I expect ChaDeMo will never be a first-class (adapter-free) charging option on Tesla, even in Japan (unless that Model 3 door could fit a Tesla and ChaDeMo next to each other, but ChaDeMo is so big, I'm not sure if there's room for both).

I am expecting eventually that EU markets will get Type 2 CCS eventually without adapter, with the non-CCS portion of the Type 2 interface still being Tesla's modified Type 2 (which gets you "everything" in "one" plug, ignoring ChaDeMo).

NA may or may not get side by side Type 1 CCS and Tesla Proprietary, I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath - if for no other reason than they can probably get away without doing it (less regulatory pressure in the US versus EU or China).

Reactions: smac
(unless that Model 3 door could fit a Tesla and ChaDeMo next to each other, but ChaDeMo is so big, I'm not sure if there's room for both).

Assuming* the pair of Chinese ports fit in the Model 3's charge area, CHAdeMO is roughly the same size as the GB/T DC connector so it might work. I can't see the value in Tesla doing this however, and agree it's unlikely to ever make it as a native port.

For Model S/X again assuming one body pressing, I'd expect side by side in NA, single CCS in EU, GB/T ports in PRC.

(* to be 100% clear we do not know this for sure, the dual port area of the Chinese S/X seems larger and squarer than even the 3's enlarged flap. I guess it depends how long Tesla have known they were on the losing side of the Chinese standards battle. It could have only been sized to allow Type-2 in EU, which has been on the cards longer. I _REALLY_ hope this isn't the case).

But it may never happen in North America... And they certainly aren't going to support Tesla, CCS, and CHAdeMO. (And I can't see them updating 10s of thousands of charger connectors to eliminate the Tesla connector.)

I guess they could go with two adapters, one for new cars to adapt the old Tesla connector to CCS, and another adapter for old cars to adapt the new installs to the Tesla adapter. (Meaning nobody would be adapter free everywhere.)

I’m not concerned about Chademo. We have a lot of SAE CCS DC chargers around. It will come; CCS is the official standard.

I’m not concerned about Chademo. We have a lot of SAE CCS DC chargers around. It will come; CCS is the official standard.
If you want Chademo in USA, buy the adapter. It’s going th way of the dodo. Getting access to all the new CCS chargers coming in the future, without an expensive and bulky adapter, would be awesome. I’m even more glad I’m delaying my Model 3 until AWD at least.

That's not what I'm understanding from @ricebowl 's post.

The Superchargers will be going to GB/T DC style plugs. (The CHAdeMO looking one). The AC ports on the car however will be moving from EU to GB/T AC style ones.

If this is the case Tesla will have to make a smart adaptor similar to the CHAdeMO one that is already available for DC, but that doesn't fix AC charging compatibility (which as you rightly point out will require something to be done with the destination charging as well).

I suppose Tesla could come out with a EU to GB/T adapter for new owners. But not sure if it's worth the cost to develop and manufacture and support given that this must be a short term need. For destination chargers, they might just ask the new owners to just use other GB AC chargers from other charging networks instead. Those chargers are plentiful.