Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - New charging plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Association Infos: Charging Interface Initiative e. V. (CharIN e. V.)
Within the documents available on the site above are all the specific rules. CHarIn does at present prohibit connection made in any manner other than those specified in these rules. Tesla, or anyone else, would need rules changes to allow any form of adapter. Technically it is not a problem, especially since Tesla already has CharIn compliant communications protocols, which would be a larger task than a simple adapter because those communications standards allow for a wide variety of payment options, among other things. I do not have time to search the specific references but they are all on the CharIN site.

I suppose that must be why we don't have a CCS adapter, and we have those behemoth Chademo adapters.

That pushes me to suspect even more strongly that we'll see something different on the Model 3. Perhaps dual plugs? A Tesla plug on the left side of the car and a CCS symmetrically on the right? That would be absolutely ideal.

I suppose that must be why we don't have a CCS adapter, and we have those behemoth Chademo adapters.

That pushes me to suspect even more strongly that we'll see something different on the Model 3. Perhaps dual plugs? A Tesla plug on the left side of the car and a CCS symmetrically on the right? That would be absolutely ideal.
Some may argue otherwise, but I agree completely. We'll all be better off if we have easy, native, access to both Supercharger and CCS, certainly looking 2-3 years ahead if not right now. I imagine that it might cost $100 or so to do that, with extra wiring and physical connectors. Somehow I think it would be unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a source for the VW build out being primarily CCS? I figured that at least for the first year or so they would do dual head with Chademo like so many new installs are these days.
I believe VW says in their plans that all DC chargers will support both CHAdeMO and CCS during the first 2.5 year investment cycle. The overall legal settlement does not require this and they are free to build some CCS-only chargers in future years if CCS vehicles come to dominate the roads.

Technically it is not a problem, especially since Tesla already has CharIn compliant communications protocols, which would be a larger task than a simple adapter because those communications standards allow for a wide variety of payment options, among other things.
Link?

I don't think Tesla has ever clearly stated that they already have "CharIN compliant communication protocol" support in existing cars meaning that they implement the digital messaging protocols on the pilot pin. It seems likely to me that Tesla will do this if it is technically possible (autodetect CCS vs Tesla Supercharger protocol use) but as far as I am aware there is no evidence that Tesla has already done this or promised that they will do it.

There was a vague statement from Straubel several years ago about some kind of compatibility but that's it and it was never clear exactly what he meant.

There are several private Superchargers (beyond unlisted Superchargers inside some service centers). Iirc a taxi company in Montreal recently installed one. They're also not full power. 50kW maybe?
Probably 60kW as those Fastchargers that I linked to above had. And no, it is NOT Superchargers - it is "Fastchargers". They look just like Superchargers, but are slower (60kW) and privately owned, and is sold by Tesla.

?..

Link?

There was a vague statement from Straubel several years ago about some kind of compatibility but that's it and it was never clear exactly what he meant.
CCS uses HomePlug Green PHY for communication.
HomePlug | HomePlug Green PHY™: perfect fit for Smart Energy / Internet of Things (IoT) applications
All HomePlug use IEEE 1901 standards.
IEEE 1901 - HD-PLC Alliance
J1772 charging initiation requires IEEE 1901 fir charging initiation
IEEE 1901 - Wikipedia
ERGO Tesla has the installed communications protocols required for CCS.
Although HomePlug Green PHY is a specific subset to enable AC-based authorization for DC charging, the implantation requires modest coding only, the IEEE 1901 is already there to make J1772 work.

Does that help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for fun I scaled the CCS and Tesla sockets and overlaid them onto a scaled (or pretty close unless I messed up) image of the model 3.

Hmmm.... looks fairly incriminating. I'm now willing to bet that there are two sockets under that big door. So... that leads to the next obvious question. What are they going to do with Model S and Model X? Somehow they would need to integrate dual plugs into those cars - but the design of the existing charge port door and adjacent taillight don't suit it very well.

upload_2017-5-3_15-11-0.png

Last edited:
CCS uses HomePlug Green PHY for communication.
HomePlug | HomePlug Green PHY™: perfect fit for Smart Energy / Internet of Things (IoT) applications
All HomePlug use IEEE 1901 standards.
IEEE 1901 - HD-PLC Alliance
J1772 charging initiation requires IEEE 1901 fir charging initiation
IEEE 1901 - Wikipedia
ERGO Tesla has the installed communications protocols required for CCS.
Although HomePlug Green PHY is a specific subset to enable AC-based authorization for DC charging, the implantation requires modest coding only, the IEEE 1901 is already there to make J1772 work.

Does that help?
None of that is required. Tesla could be getting by with only analog pilot pin signaling support for J1772. There is zero evidence on the record today that existing Tesla products support Green PHY signaling.

None of that is required. Tesla could be getting by with only analog pilot pin signaling support for J1772. There is zero evidence on the record today that existing Tesla products support Green PHY signaling.
You seem insistent so I'll give up. The only point is that IEEE 1901 established the base for AC communication. That is what the J1772 uses, this is not complex stuff, although the requirements do need precise standards. All it is is simple AC signaling, carrying a bit of data, just enough to communicate charging authorization and payment. Almost every POS credit card reader uses the same standard with a security overlay. If you want to think it will be harder, be my guest, but Tesla does have the capability today. Ask somebody there, this part really is not rocket science.

You seem insistent so I'll give up. The only point is that IEEE 1901 established the base for AC communication. That is what the J1772 uses, this is not complex stuff, although the requirements do need precise standards. All it is is simple AC signaling, carrying a bit of data, just enough to communicate charging authorization and payment. Almost every POS credit card reader uses the same standard with a security overlay. If you want to think it will be harder, be my guest, but Tesla does have the capability today. Ask somebody there, this part really is not rocket science.
I suspect they could do it and I think they will find a way to do it. No disagreement there. I'm just saying there is no existing evidence that they have done it yet. I'd love to be proven wrong!

Actually, Green PHY is quite involved and the CCS specs layer a full Internet protocol suite on top of it.

https://www.homeplug.org/media/file...meplug_gp_specification_v111_final_public.pdf

I haven't yet gone through all of the CCS specs but I believe card-less authentication (plug in and charge) may involve a TCP SSL/TLS connection over the pilot pin! Of course, all this complex work has already been done and can be licensed from 3rd parties.

The very general purpose communications framework allows lots of flexibility as vehicle charging and the grid infrastructure changes in the next several decades. For example, the same set of higher level protocols will support wireless charging over WiFi etc. rather than the pilot pin of a J1772 connector.

I suspect they could do it and I think they will find a way to do it. No disagreement there. I'm just saying there is no existing evidence that they have done it yet. I'd love to be proven wrong!

Actually, Green PHY is quite involved and the CCS specs layer a full Internet protocol suite on top of it.

https://www.homeplug.org/media/file...meplug_gp_specification_v111_final_public.pdf

I haven't yet gone through all of the CCS specs but I believe card-less authentication (plug in and charge) may involve a TCP SSL/TLS connection over the pilot pin! Of course, all this complex work has already been done and can be licensed from 3rd parties.

The very general purpose communications framework allows lots of flexibility as vehicle charging and the grid infrastructure changes in the next several decades. For example, the same set of higher level protocols will support wireless charging over WiFi etc. rather than the pilot pin of a J1772 connector.
This is all true. However, it is all standard (i.e. nearly zero coding intelligence needed) so one need only follow the instructions. That is easy. The only questionable part for CCS is that there is no provision for an adapter because European utilities , equipment manufacturers and vehicle makers are all very concerned with the potential disasters that could happen when a high power charge comes unraveled and causes a fire or electrical outage. They have been distinctly uninterested in having idiot drivers fool around with multiple connections. It's hard to argue with the logic isn't it? A friend who's involved in the process told me he thought that they might allow an adapter for non-European deployment but never in Europe. He suggests that Europe will have very fast charging, >300A by 2020 but they doubt NA will be there then, and they're less concerned with NA anyway. If he's correct there might be a Tesla adapter by then. In Europe we can expect Tesla to make CCS standard including Superchargers since the existing pin-play in Europe will not allow non-Tesla high power DC anyway and it's going to be the law in the EU.

I got a survey in my email from Plug-In-America the other day asking about Supercharger usage, DC fast charging, CHAdeMO adapter, etc. Also asked what price I would consider fair for a universal DC adapter to use CHAdeMO and CCS, what price would be too expensive, what price would be a steal, etc.. So someone (whoever paid for the survey, probably Tesla? Can't think of who else would commission a survey like that) is perhaps thinking about this stuff.

However, it is all standard (i.e. nearly zero coding intelligence needed) so one need only follow the instructions. That is easy.
I'm an experienced systems software developer and am familiar with IP network stack and TLS implementation code. I can guess at what the Green PHY code would look like. It's not in any way easy and getting it right takes a lot of skill and time.

If you can license it all from somebody else and just package it into your product and add a few flourishes on top it's not too hard. Implementing it correctly on your own is very difficult.

He suggests that Europe will have very fast charging, >300A by 2020 but they doubt NA will be there then,
There will be 350A charging at an EVgo station in Baker, CA by the fall of this year. VW's Dieselgate EV charging infrastructure plans call for sprinkling 350A chargers (they call them 320A) across the USA by 2020 although most plugs will be 150A since that is all most cars will need in the near-term.

Association Infos: Charging Interface Initiative e. V. (CharIN e. V.)
Within the documents available on the site above are all the specific rules. CHarIn does at present prohibit connection made in any manner other than those specified in these rules. Tesla, or anyone else, would need rules changes to allow any form of adapter. Technically it is not a problem, especially since Tesla already has CharIn compliant communications protocols, which would be a larger task than a simple adapter because those communications standards allow for a wide variety of payment options, among other things. I do not have time to search the specific references but they are all on the CharIN site.
I think @rypalmer's point is that there may not be legal ground to prohibit an adapter. The adapter may not get a CharIN sticker on it. And there may be legal ground for CharIN to sue based on patents of the connector itself and/or protocols. But there's not an actual law that says you can't build electrical adapter. There difference between what is physically possible, and what someone else says you should or should not do.

Reactions: rypalmer
I got a survey in my email from Plug-In-America the other day asking about Supercharger usage, DC fast charging, CHAdeMO adapter, etc. Also asked what price I would consider fair for a universal DC adapter to use CHAdeMO and CCS, what price would be too expensive, what price would be a steal, etc.. So someone (whoever paid for the survey, probably Tesla? Can't think of who else would commission a survey like that) is perhaps thinking about this stuff.
I think any of the major charging networks would be interested in such data.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Just for fun I scaled the CCS and Tesla sockets and overlaid them onto a scaled (or pretty close unless I messed up) image of the model 3.

Hmmm.... looks fairly incriminating. I'm now willing to bet that there are two sockets under that big door. So... that leads to the next obvious question. What are they going to do with Model S and Model X? Somehow they would need to integrate dual plugs into those cars - but the design of the existing charge port door and adjacent taillight don't suit it very well.

View attachment 225495

You were close @sandpiper - I got some photos to make sure
I used the UK variant but I think you could swap out the left one for US

2016-Tesla-Model-S-P90D-side.png
2016-Tesla-Model-S-P90D-side1.png

If true, then they just redesign the taillight on the S and X to be like the Model 3. After all, they redesigned the entire front end of the S when the X came out.

Reactions: arnis
If true, then they just redesign the taillight on the S and X to be like the Model 3. After all, they redesigned the entire front end of the S when the X came out.
Even without changing the body panel: just make the charging port flap bigger. CCS could fit closer to the tail on S/X.

Though there is one "but". There should be two flaps. Second port should be closed when one is used. Weather.

And all Type2 pins are used if 3-phase AC is supplied. Also true for SC, two pins for positive, two for negative.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3