Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - NVidia Xavier/Volta in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JeffK

Apr 27, 2016
Indianapolis
Nvidia just announced their new V100 card today based on the Volta architecture. They've also said that they expect Volta chips in their new products as early as Q3 2017.

We know the Model 3 is coming out is Q3 2017... Since Xavier, based on Volta, is the successor to Drive PX2, based on Pascal, what do you think are the chances Model 3 will go straight to Xavier instead of Drive PX2 or will we, poor, early adopters be stuck with Drive PX2?

I would suspect that they would have a detail like this worked out some time ago, and it's too close to production now to be making too many changes to the car or on existing supply orders.
They've mentioned that they've made AP2 with the full intention that a new board could be a drop in replacement.

I was expecting this, but the timing doesn't really seem to match up. I do expect Tesla to transition all cars to Xavier as soon as it's available in volume - which is also the logical time to add more sensors if Tesla has decided they could benefit from any others.

I was expecting this, but the timing doesn't really seem to match up. I do expect Tesla to transition all cars to Xavier as soon as it's available in volume - which is also the logical time to add more sensors if Tesla has decided they could benefit from any others.
Well, on one hand we have seen some of the release candidates with something on the C pillar. On the other hand, they stayed with the the Nvidia Tegra 3 long past it's expiration date, resulting in brand new Tesla models with slow browsers that a brand new Linux kernel is not likely to fix.