Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation of pack sizes (kWh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bonus Points: How quick will Cybertruck be on Mars (0-60 mph)?

Pretty slow - low gravity means low friction. No aero losses, but can't overcome the lack of gravity unless it also has the supposed spaceX thrusters pushing it down. So, gravitationally limited to about 38% of the acceleration. so I'll go with a 7.6 second 0-60 for AWD or Tri and a heartbreaking 15 seconds on RWD (still friction limited). This is assuming something kinda like tarmac with a similar coefficient of friction that's getting the 2.9s on the Plaid on earth.

Can someone clever please answer this:

Speculation of pack sizes (kWh)

Is there a more important topic right now? We need to understand 2 things:
  1. How much more cost effective is stainless steel - will it be used elsewhere?
  2. What is the cost reduction from the move to Maxwell etc.?
    1. And are all CT variants using the Maxwell batteries
2.) Must be answered first and we must be able to deduce a fair bit from 3 variants, 0-60 times, prices etc.

With our new found knowledge, we can then more accurately predict when SP will reach $4000.
From main thread.

I think specs will be about 90, 110, 220.

That large of a pack could make charging get interesting. Even if the top spec is 200kwh the mobile charger can only recharge less than 40% in 10 hours. 7.6KW (32amp @ 240v)

Interesting point! I suppose that means that someone who needs to routinely use that much of the range will have a much greater incentive to upgrade to Tesla's HPWC than with existing vehicles.

With the Model 3 its a pretty insignificant difference (48 Amps vs 32, when in practice 32 is almost always more than fast enough already), but with higher capacity vehicles like the CyberTruck and Roadster, it could make a big difference!

Have they said what charge rate the CyberTruck will support yet? Perhaps it'll be the first to utilize the full 100 Amps (derated to 80) that the HPWC supports, without the sharing needed to utilize it with existing vehicles?

Just bc the battery will be bigger doesn't necessarily mean you have to charge it more each night. You're driving habits likely won't change, so your charging habits won't either.

If you need to charge more than 40% every day then use a Supercharger. Odds are most users of the big battery won't use more than 15-20% of battery a day, and will still be fine on a 32a charger..

The truck comes in 250, 300 & 500 mile ranges. Any guesses about the pack sizes necessary to make that happen? I'm thinking 85, 100, 175 kWh without any real calculations behind it....

I am very new to this and want to buy with AWD with only four motors with a 500 or over 300-mile range, my assumption would be larger batteries for a given range. A larger taller vehicle, heaver, very aerodynamic for a pickup but very poor compared to a model S. very high rolling resistance tires" heavy on/off-road tires require a lot of horse power to turn. The cybertruck platform is large and should be able to accommodate much larger batteries. I would look to see twice kWh capacities for projected ranges. I also believe Tesla's acquisition of Maxwell and incorporate Maxwell's dry electrode and battery technology will play heavy on all new designs, higher KW density per pound of battery.

I'm guessing 250kWh for the big pack. I'm expecting baseline consumption to be 500Wh/mile. It will be thirsty!

anything below 250 KWh for the long range will not work. All 250 is not available, got to leave some room at both ends , so with a pack of 250; about 200 is useable and at 500 wh/mile that would get us to about 400 miles To 500 miles range based on how you calculate the useable pack.

Anyone planning to do Hot Shot hauling with the truck
Hotshot trailers are 5th wheel... how will we do a 5th wheel with the sides raked like they are? I used sketchup to place a gooseneck horse trailer behind a CT and there's 2-1/2" clearance ... no allowance for the trailer rocking or turns. I would like to replace my 2500hd but I have a gooseneck horse trailer.

I've been curious about this since the range of the Semi is based on it's load. So the 500 mile range of the semi is at full 80,000lb capacity. Is there any chance the CT range is based on it's towing capacity?

1MWh battery @ 80,000 lbs (truck + trailer)

250Kwh battery @ 20,000 lbs {6000lb truck and 14,000 lb cargo)

I've been curious about this since the range of the Semi is based on it's load. So the 500 mile range of the semi is at full 80,000lb capacity. Is there any chance the CT range is based on it's towing capacity?

1MWh battery @ 80,000 lbs (truck + trailer)

250Kwh battery @ 20,000 lbs {6000lb truck and 14,000 lb cargo)
I would say zero chance of this being the case. Car MPG and MPGe are always done the same. Cybertrucjk may be a truck, but it is not a commercial hauler. It will be tested and rated like any other private vehicle.

Remember, MPG and MPGe are marketing tools, not engineering.

It is hard to determine range with towing different loads. You can have a 10,000 pound trailer with a low drag load and a 10,000 pound trailer with a high drag load. Same weight but different loads could impact range differently.

Agree, but Musk teased a Tesla Cyber Trailer for the CT so the range could be based on using it. It's only speculation but I think it's in the realm of possibility.