Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation on Firmware 8.0 Download Priorities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were folks who watched the comings of Boon Pickens....when his plane left, how many gallons when it returned. Who was he visiting...lets go buy that stock. Such paparazzi followed many of the merger-acquisition folks to get inside data. If I took off a day to go interview with a new company, my boss would love to know where his secrets are headed. My wife would love to know the address of my mistress (or the reverse). I can see all sorts of times where this detail tracking stuff could be misused. I think I can delete trips on TeslaFi.com, but how about on the Tesla side?

Probably useless data point:

2013 S85 (May 2013 delivery--non-TACC) with about 43k miles got notification 9/23 @ 9:00 pm PST---40 minute install.
2015 S70D (June 2015 delivery--TAcc) with 11k miles got notification 9/23 @ 11:30 pm PST--installed 9/24--90 minute install.

Cars at home on WiFi.

8.0.2.36.108 on both (pre- and post-TACC).

There may be some prioritization based upon metrics such as model and options but I'm more inclined to think that the update is being rolled out continuously in a rolling queue. In this case it would be an IT and customer support issue versus a data collection prioritization.

For instance, at any given moment there may be a limited number of slots where the server can send out an upgrade. This is to keep the number of cars being updated to a manageable number should issues occur. If your car contacts the server and the queue is full you won't get the download. The car probably isn't continuously making this request. At some point your car will contact the server and a slot will be open enabling tre download. The chances of getting the upgrade would increase over time.

I'm sure there's some value to collecting data based on the cars features but this is counterbalanced by the need of having someone look at this data and analyze it. Is rolling out to a few number of cars based upon their features any better and worth the resource than just rolling out to the entire fleet especially if the rollout is occurring over a number of days?

I think it would be interesting if they were doing this and I would be really impressed that they have the resources to do it. But I think there priority would be to get the upgrade rolled out with as much customer support to make it a smooth process.

• Helpful
Reactions: AZ Desert Driver
I'm wondering if Tesla is releasing Firmware 8.0 first to high mileage per day drivers. I think it would make sense to start getting the most feedback from the fewest drivers in the beginning deployment. It would also make sense to give a broad distribution over the various models and geographic locations.

Any feedback on this from the few drivers that have already received the update?

I'm wondering if Tesla is releasing Firmware 8.0 first to high mileage per day drivers. I think it would make sense to start getting the most feedback from the fewest drivers in the beginning deployment. It would also make sense to give a broad distribution over the various models and geographic locations.

Any feedback on this from the few drivers that have already received the update?
253 total miles and on 8 since Friday night. Got the car Monday. No Autopilot.

Could it be they are REALLLLLLLY busy? With end-of the quarter sales boom, Solar City digestion, M3 production Ap2 development...They might just be rolling out V8.0 slowly because they CANT do it fast? They might need a few hands on deck to handle the early complaints (sure, there will never be any because its a Tesla) so want to keep the size of the wave down.

They pumped out the pre 8.0 security patch pretty fast to a lot of cars. Busy is not the problem. As in the past, just rolling it out slow to crush the early gremlins before everyone gets it. We always have been, and always will be , test subjects. Not a complaint as, hell, I bought my car three years ago when the popular talk was Tesla was about to tank.

Just hang on and enjoy the ride (pun intended).

Our percentage of miles driven using AP is probably very high. But I've always thought all the updates seemed to pretty random based on the group of Tesla owners I know. Received the notification 10:00 pm Friday night and installed shortly there after.

Very happy so far with the 8.0 UI and how AP drives. Some concerns I had when I saw 8.0 in a Beta users car are none issues now that I'm using it.

The only issue is now we want to drive the car even more :) But that's great issue to have. :):)

I'll complain and see if your theory works!! lol lol
15 month old 85D with (almost) every option available. Everything but
2,600 miles a month
100+ miles a day on A/P
Been very good and kind and generous to my Service Center
No love from Ver8 yet.

there....waiting on my update. :):rolleyes:

I am an 85 - 90 mile a day driver and no 8.0 for me so far.